Thread: Laptop cpu advice

Thanks

Laptop cpu advice

Hey,

I recently bought a dell inspiron 1300 with a 6 cell battery. (currently lasts about 3-4hrs)

It currently has a celeron m 1.5ghz at the moment, i looked at the guide and it looks pretty easy to update the cpu on it.

I'm just wondering if is worth it, i can get hold of a pentium m 1.5ghz (1mb l2) for £25 including delivery.

Would the performance and battery life justify the £25?

thanks
    | Intel 6400 | 2x1GB Corsair | Abit ab9 | 8800gt | Tagan 480w Psu | Xfi extreme music | Antec P182 | Dell 2007fpw|

Thanks
    It depends if you are any good at taking laptops apart and putting them back together. If you know what you are doing £25 isnt to bad. I would do it.

Banned
    Thanks
    good price, but if you could get centrno, then thats much better

Thanks
    Well i looked at the guide and there is an expansion slot in the bottom and i need to detach the heatsink and swap over the cpu. Seems ok to do.

mmmalas as far as i'm aware a centrino is a pentium m right?
    | Intel 6400 | 2x1GB Corsair | Abit ab9 | 8800gt | Tagan 480w Psu | Xfi extreme music | Antec P182 | Dell 2007fpw|

Banned
    Thanks
    sorry my mistake, done a bit of search

Centrino is Pentium-m + intel wifi.

so yes if you get pentium m, it would be the same as centreno

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flcherb
    It depends if you are any good at taking laptops apart and putting them back together. If you know what you are doing £25 isnt to bad. I would do it.

25 is very cheap, go for it

Thanks
    Are you upgrading it in the hope of increasing battery life or improving performance?

Thanks
    I paid £70 for a 1.6 ghz Pentium-m last month (to replace a 1.3 ghz Celeron-M) , so £25 for a 1.5 ghz seems very cheap. Go for it.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thanks
    Yeah I think the Pentium-Ms have lower power consumption, due to more power management features? So should improve battery life slightly as well as performance. Although not sure by how much.

Thanks
    The Celeron M is basically a Pentium M but with a reduced FSB and cache. Power comsumption would be pretty much identical.

If it was £25 for the 2MB cache version then I'd go for it but I think you won't notice any difference with your planned change.

I have an Inspiron 630m with a Pentium M 1.73GHz and a 6 cell battery. Under non CPU intensive task I can get around 4 hours use from the battery.

You won't dramatically increase battery time with the CPU change imo. If you want to see a big change, get the 9 cell battery.

Take it you've done the usual battery saving tasks like setting the backlight to minimum when running on the battery in the BIOS, disabling un needed devices in the BIOS (I don't use the modem), turning on Wi Fi only when its needed, etc? Also, how much RAM do you have? If its only 256MB, then windows will be useing the pagefile on the HD more frequently. A constantly accessing HD will impact battery life so make sure you have around 512MB RAM minimum.

The backlight for the TFT screen is the biggest drain on battery life. It accounts for 31% of battery useage. CPU is around 10%.

Intel reckon it'll be 2008 when we'll see laptops capable of 8 hours battery life.

Thanks
    If you're looking to increase the performance of that machine, I wouldn't bother looking at the Pentium M. The reason? Your motherboard only supports 400mhz FSB - if you buy the Pentium M, which last time I checked had a 533mhz FSB, you'll be slowing it down.

You might be able to take advantage of speedstep, however.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Depends on the P-M; actually, first run P-Ms on the Banias core had a 400MHz FSB. They also, however, enabled all the advanced power management stuff (enhanced speedstep) that the C-M doesn't, so it can make a big difference to power consumption. In fact, there's 400MHz FSB variants of the P-M all the way up to 2.1GHz with 2MB L2 cache (the 765). Have a shufti HERE for details.

Thanks
    Well after a quick bit of research you can specify at purchase this machine to have a Pentium M in it - however it's a 533Mhz model and the review I was reading was dead set against paying the extra and remained adamant that there was little point upgrading the processor given the poor increase in performance and the meager battery life increase due to Speedstep.

Thread Information