Thread: Opty question

Registered+
    Thanks

Opty question

Looking at getting a new dual core, I have been considering the opty 165/170, I keep hearing some reports that a overclocked 165/170 @ 2.6 is the same as a retail stock FX-60. Are there any stats or reviews to back up this claim? Thanks for any info

Thanks
    Just remember it's the luck of the draw my 165 does 2.25 at stock.

The FX-60 is essentially the same chip as a 165/170 that has been vaildate to run at 2.6

awm
    Thanks
    Even if the opty doesn't clock quite as high you can sink the savings into a better graphics card or monitor which will be very useful for gaming (your goal I assume). I'd invest in either of them before paying 3 times as much to go from a 165 to a fx-60. And as manwithnoname implied, reports seem to indacate that 2.25 is a bad overclock for a 165 so the 165 is a great(and affordable choice). If I was buying now I'd proably go for it.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yes that sounds nice, I already have plans to get a Dell 30" or a westinghouse 37" or 42" I do have a question on those as well. I have a x1900XT already, I will probably move up to crossfire, as i already have the motherboard I just do not think its necessary right now, I only have a 21" CRT that does just fine for now. I am getting alot more into graphics and design so I need the bigger real estate. My question for the monitors is this:

Given the dell has a larger resolution 2560X1600 vs the westinghouse at 1920X1080, how would that work out in comparison to screen size vs. resolution? I mean if I buy the smaller Dell but have the higher rez, would be roughly the equivalent in real estate with a bigger monitor and a smaller rez?

So many questions, so little time Thanks again for all your advice.

awm
    Thanks
    The westinghouse sounds like its intended as a TV. I would go for the Dell 30" since the westinghouse would look wierd, like having huge pixels simlar to running your crt at 640x480. Depending on what you play you may need to go CF to keep image quality for the resolution of the Dell. My impression is that the larges benifit of multiple graphics comes at high resolutions where huge numbers of pixels need to get drawn. of course I don't know the exact prices of what you're buying of what you preferences are so just take what I said as something to think about and consider.

Thread Information