Thread: Boring extension cable + kvm question

Thanks

Boring extension cable + kvm question

Hello, looking to get a 4 port kvm and an extension cable so i can control 3 computers and a laptop from a different room (finally admitting defeat in my battle against pc noise and moving them elsewhere)

Everywhere ive read about this tells me to ensure i get high quality cables and kvm to avoid ghosting and general visual nastiness, but nowhere actually seems to specify which manufacturers make these high quality products.
    So has anyone got any recommendations of products and retailers? Anyone with a similar setup already working?

The kvm doesn't need to be fancy, PS2 keyboand and mouse + VGA is all that's essential although USB might be handy. The extension needs to be 5-10m - not sure exactly how long until i get my tape measure out but i suspect 5m will be just slightly too short.

Cheers in advance

Rich

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Hi there

I've used a load of different Belkin KVM switches (and cabling) from little 2-port ones up to 16-port daisy-chainable server ones. We used them at my last job and if I was going to buy one for myself I'd probably get one of them.

Sounds like you're probably likely to find one of their SOHO range that will suit you. That is, if you'll only ever need 4 ports - I often find myself wishing whatever one I was using at the time had one more port. Unless your sure you'll only need 4 I'd price an 8 port model from the Pro2 series. In fact, even then I'd still get an 8 probably

As for cables, the ones Belkin sell as being compatible with the SOHO series only go up to 3m and come in PS/2 and USB varieties, some (maybe all) can carry simple stereo audio as well. Cables for the Pro2's are PS/2 only and go up to 7.5m. I've seen VGA extensions up to about 7-8m work fine but never PS/2 that long so I don't know if that's possible. I think USB can got a bit longer than 10m, not sure tho.

One thing I will say that rings true for any traditional KVM setup is that they inevitably increase the general mass of cabling in the area by loads. If you're machines are all on the same network, I'd advise considering some software-based remote desktop system like VNC or XP's own remote desktop stuff, if you've not already ruled that approach out?

If you have and KVM is the only option then I'd say Belkin kit but that's only really because that's all I've ever used and for what they are they're fine. I've found their tech support to be pretty decent as well which these days makes a big difference to who's products I will spend money on.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thanks
    Thanks, a lot of good info there.
    Dont think the remote desktop stuff would work as i'm going to have different OSs on the computers (linux, xp and 98) plus i'm experimenting with streaming multi-channel audio between them which is a bit hairy even before anything else starts using the network. I expect these remote desktops use quite a lot of bandwidth if they're sending a picture down the wire.. I'll investigate, it would be a great alternative.

I'm guessing the pro2 cables should be fine with a SOHO kvm? They just have standard connectors don't they? That 7.5m one looks just right. I've not heard about anyone having problems with PS2, mostly seems to be video or USB that's the problem over long cable runs - I know USB2.0 needs a booster if you take it over 5m but 1.1 might be more robust. I can live without it anyway.

I'm sure i'm not going to go over 4 computers (having that many is a little embaressing) and the price difference between the 8 port pro2 and the cheapest 4 port SOHO is huge so looks like the SOHO is the way to go..

Thanks again

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Avocent are good, Belkin are OK. BUT if I were buying one now, I'd buy an Adder. We got some of their KVM extenders for use with a large plasma in our boardroom, and not only are they good well-made product, their support's EXCELLENT. I needed extra mains adapters, which were easy to get, but I also needed two adapter cables, which wouldn't have been, for power. Following my call to get details of their part numbers and what have you, Adder sent me two, FOC!

Good product, outstanding support.

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimp
    Thanks, a lot of good info there.
    Dont think the remote desktop stuff would work as i'm going to have different OSs on the computers (linux, xp and 98) plus i'm experimenting with streaming multi-channel audio between them which is a bit hairy even before anything else starts using the network. I expect these remote desktops use quite a lot of bandwidth if they're sending a picture down the wire.. I'll investigate, it would be a great alternative.
    VNC is multiplatform, i.e. there are servers and clients for a number of different OS', certainly most Windows and Linux flavours and versions. It's pretty light on bandwidth usage, particularly if you cut back on things like screen resolution and colour depth a bit. A number of people use it for remote admin-ing dedicated game servers on the internet.

I'm guessing the pro2 cables should be fine with a SOHO kvm? They just have standard connectors don't they? That 7.5m one looks just right. I've not heard about anyone having problems with PS2, mostly seems to be video or USB that's the problem over long cable runs - I know USB2.0 needs a booster if you take it over 5m but 1.1 might be more robust. I can live without it anyway.
    You may need gender changers using Pro2 cables on a SOHO but you should get those from wherever you get your other KVM kit. AFAIK both are just regular VGA and PS/2 cables just that if you find you've got the wrong gender of connector on one end of the Pro2 VGA cable you'll need a changer to connect it. Not a big deal, just a "watch-out-for".

I'm sure i'm not going to go over 4 computers (having that many is a little embaressing) and the price difference between the 8 port pro2 and the cheapest 4 port SOHO is huge so looks like the SOHO is the way to go..

Thanks again
    No problem, glad I could offer some advice. As nicomach says I'd check out Avocent and Adder as well tho, I've never seen any kit from either but nico's feedback on them sounds promising as well!
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thread Information