Thread: HELP!!! smoking dead hdd and PC is bbq'd

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks

HELP!!! smoking dead hdd and PC is bbq'd

Crash bang wallop-

I hard booted my PC, and when I put the Power on again, a big wisp of plastic smoke came from the first Molex on a chain that goes into a 300 GB hard drive. the PC shut down after 1 second.

I'm presuming it is fried, the thing is the power supply is a 550 W antec sold as Channel Wells

From a link on this forum-
    CWT's are the same design as in antec PSUs. They have acctually changes there site a bit, looks nicer now. heres the page you want <http://www.cwt.com.tw/psu_pc.htm>
    The 450w at scan is the B series, while the 550w is a CWT-550ADP in the A series.
    looking at the specs you can see why the A series is better, and costs more. its still &#163;30 cheaper than the same antec though!
    http://www.cwt.com.tw/CwtEng/product...cwt-550adp.htm <http://www.cwt.com.tw/CwtEng/product/ATX/A/cwt-550adp.htm>

I have the A series, how could such a good power supply mess up?
    what could have happened in my computer, was it the hard drive? how much more is messed up and should I chuck the power supply? I will measure the rails obviously ASAP.

I would love it if someone knowledgeable here might be able to offer a pro power user prognosis

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by prehensile; 11-05-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps
    If you have something that short-circuit further down the chain, it will be the first molex which burn (due to it carrying the most current)

The easiest way to check a PSU is to connect a fan to the PSU alone, then use a paperclip to power up the PSU (google is your friend)
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sounds exactly like what happened to my m8 last month, the power is a tagan though. The hard drive survived but the PSU is gone forever, one blowed capacitor, i can replace it but cant be bother/risk to
    Primary kit:
    Fuji S5 Pro - Nikkor AF 50/1.8 - Nikkor AF 85/1.8
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:
    Leica M3 - Summicron 50/2 DR - Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 - M-Rokkor 40/2

Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50/2 Macro - Zuiko 50/1.4 - Zuiko 35/2.8

Banned
    Thanks
    I have a nice little PSU tester. Comes in handy for situations like this.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung
    If you have something that short-circuit further down the chain, it will be the first molex which burn (due to it carrying the most current)

The easiest way to check a PSU is to connect a fan to the PSU alone, then use a paperclip to power up the PSU (google is your friend)
    <pedant mode on>
    With certain exceptions, everywhere in the loop will carry the same current
    <pedant mode off>

Sounds like a short to me. LIke people have said, try it with just a fan, you need to short the green wire on the main connector to one of the black ones. Paper clips are good, but i find a staple to be just the right length, and it'll stay there, which is handy if youre a wuss cos you can put it in and then turn on at the wall.

Thanks
    you are right on the money-

It turns out that the hard disk was actually ledged on the metal frame of the case, which is alright usually.

When I moved th PC around, it's just so happens that I placed the circuit board under the molex with the pins of the molex on a metal corner on the case.

In other words, the metal pins from the molex that go through the circuit board were joined by a piece of metal from the computer case and woof out came some smoke and the power supply jumped.

The moral of the story is not to pooss yourself and run around flapping your hands when you do something like that, and pull out the power supply, but really closely check out the molex or the area which smoked.

Thank you so much for being damn right

Thanks
    erm, how should i phrase this?

ARGHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Last edited by prehensile; 14-05-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

i put in the same PSU again figuring it had just been shorted on the 5v rail (as above) and it banged n smoked 3 days later plus i stuck in a spare psu, rebooted and now another hdd (OS) puffed tons of smoke.

HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP-Multiple component xplosions

Plus 2 days ago we had a lightning strike over the house, sounded like a 70mph car hitting the house the loudest we ever heard...

plus the fusebox was put in by charlatans-dodgy crew young apprentice contractors that worked with a building company that did some extension works.

Should I check all the sockets and if so, can I use a multimeter. What parts should I change including all the leads. Should I get a new mother board as well as a power supply and some new hard drives ?

I think the most logical thing that happen is that the 5 volt rail in the power supply was shorted and degraded the power supply. Then that in turn that degraded the hard disk drive or some kind of domino effect .

HELP wot goin on!?!?!
    NEW PC TIME- i'm all ears power users and engineers
    Last edited by prehensile; 14-05-2006 at 09:30 AM.

Thread Information