Thread: 1800XP overclocking help?

Thanks

1800XP overclocking help?

My last AMD chip was a 1Ghz Axia. I've been P4's since that. However I've just got hold of 1800xp and want to overclock the nuts if off it. Whats the best way to do it and whats a good cheapish board to use to do it?

Banned
    Thanks
    Depends on what type of XP1800+ it is.

Pally = hot, locked and not very o/c'able.
    TbredA = cooler, sometimes locked but not much more o/c'able.
    TbredB = even cooler, always unlocked (to date) and VERY o/c'able.
    Thorton (very new) = identical to a TbredB in theory as it is a Barton with half the L2 cache disabled. However very recently AMD started to lock if not minorly cripple o/c's with Barton.

Easiest way to tell is to look at the markings on the CPU. Pally has the markings written on the core (little raised square bit in the centre) while the others should all use a sticker at the bottom. The writing should be AX1800... = Pally, AXDA1800... = TbredA/B, AXDC1800 = Thorton. To differentiate between TbredA and TbredB you should look for another code lower down similar to AUIHB or AUIHA ... basically the last letter defines the type of Tbred it is (hence AUIHB is TbredB). There are other ways to tell if needs be. Report back on this and we'll be able to tell you more about o/c'ing, mobo etc.

Thanks
    AXDA1800DLT3C
    AIUGA 0247WPKW

What am I likely to get out of it? How would compare with a P4 performance wise?

Thanks
    Thats quite an old chip, made in week 47 in 2002... roughly 1 year old, it might not clock as well as the JUIHB ones of recent

Thanks
    Originally posted by dawson
    Thats quite an old chip, made in week 47 in 2002... roughly 1 year old, it might not clock as well as the JUIHB ones of recent
    Its only to play around with.

Banned
    Thanks
    That's a TbredA so it will run a LOT cooler than the Pally but top out around 1.9ghz (XP2400+ with high FSB). It may or may not be locked, some mobos could unlock the locked TbredA IIRC, most likely the much loved Abit NF7-S v2.0. So at the mo you're running 11.5x133=1.53ghz (266FSB XP1800+). If you simply treat the CPU as locked and bear in mind a likely o/c of 1.9ghz you will find a FSB of around 166mhz (333mhz inc DDR) is what's needed so likewise PC2700 is all you would need. Mobos are VERY common and cheap that can do 333FSB (SiS746FX, VIA KT400) but the SiS lack tweakability while the VIA don't lock PCI/AGP so if you can't quite hit 333FSB things may not run as nicely. So it may be best to get an nForce2 mobo, Asus A7N8X Deluxe & Abit NF7-S are most loved but most nForce2 lock PCI/AGP and sport lots of tweaking options. If you want max perf nForce2 Dual Channel is the way to go. If the CPU isn't locked you can tweak it to the max by buying 2 sticks of PC3200 and running 400FSB although that may be a little overkill if the CPU tops out below 2.0ghz. So how much are you willing to spend? You should expect the o/c'ed CPU to yield perf roughly equal to a P4 2.4ghz to 2.53ghz 533FSB esp in gaming. Just be sure to give it a decent gfx card if gaming is important.

Thanks
    Well at the moment I have the 1Ghz in a mini PC and it has little in the way of overclocking fuctionality. Its also very limited in the way of PCI slots and cooling is quite poor. My plan was to sell that and build another box around the 1800xp. I was going to use it as a Digital VCR and a machine just to mess about on. I don't mind getting a new board but I don't want the cooling to be too loud. It needs to be a relatively quite box. So I'm thinking of either using very large HS or go with water cooling eventually.

Banned
    Thanks
    Have you considered a Shuttle (or Shuttle type) box? They start pretty close to £100 and include case, cooling, PSU and mobo. They're designed to be small and quiet without cutting back on speed or even upgradability (obv upgradable to a point). You don't need anything fancy if you just keep that TbredA XP1800+ close to stock as PC2100 & 266FSB (2x133mhz) is all you need. Your DLT3C uses 1.50v stock so will be very cool, if you wish to o/c you really do need voltage control on the mobo as 1.50v will be a little limiting. If you go for a normal case then something like the all copper Zalman flower is a very good choice with Volcano 11/12 close behind. They're adjustable so can run virtually silent whilst still allowing as much o/c'ing as you'll need. Any of this sound like what you expected or need?

Thanks
    Well I have a ASUS terminator K7 box and I'm finding the lack of slots a problem. Also I can't use oversided heatsinks so thats also a problem. The Shuttle just seems like more of the same. TBH. I use Zalman Flowers on my P4's but in truth the fan bracket is a pain in the but when you are swapping AGP/PCI cards. I think I'll buy a cheapo mid sized case and a NForce board.

Thread Information