Thread: Which motherboard?

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks

Which motherboard?

I know everyone here is a big fan of the NF7-S and similar MoBos, however:
    1. Although I will be overclocking (Id be getting an athlon XP 2500+ Barton), as the multi is now locked all I need is to be able to easily up the FSB.
    2. I already have a decent PCI 5.1 soundcard, so having good onboard sound isnt that important.
    3. I have no plans of buying any SATA hard disks in the near future (ive just bought myself a new 80GB IDE Maxtor).

So it seems unnecessary to pay a premium for all these extra things when I wont be using them. Any suggestions as to a nice, simple, stable motherboard, decent for overclocking via the FSB alone?

Cheers for any help guys.

Alex.

PS. Other specs:
    Will have a Barton 2500+, radeon 9600pro, 256MB TwinMOS 3200 RAM, Maxtor DiamondMAX +9 80GB, 450CWT PSU.

Thanks
    Biostar M7NCD £37 at Dabs - single channel
    M7NCD Pro £47 at DABS - dual channel

Also c/w Norton Internet security & Ghost2003 software = great
    value.

Epox 8RDA+ V2 £60 at Komplett
    Last edited by BUFF; 17-11-2003 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    I'm in the same position too. How much is the ABIT board? Are you saving that much?

Thanks
    Originally posted by sparky191
    How much is the ABIT board? Are you saving that much?
    An NF-7 is about £60, an NF7-S about £80 but it does have Soundstorm, SATA RAID.

Banned
    Thanks
    Any nForce2 should do you then. It is best to stick to nForce2 with locked CPUs as others are always diviser based and will knock PCI/AGP and even IDE out of spec, better avoided. Some nForce2 don't fully impliment both a full PCI and AGP lock so you may wish to stick to the known & popular Asus, Abit and Epox versions. Cheapest nForce2 I know of is as BUFF mentioned www.dabs.com for £37, either the Biostar or DabsValue Biostar which are both nForce2 400. That means no Dual Channel (that gives you 5% perf boost) and no MCP-T / Sounstorm (which you don't mind omitting). £10 more for the DC-DDR version. IMHO get a full mobo with DC-DDR and Soundstorm as you can sell your (most likely) inferior 5.1 soundcard to settle the price diff between low end nF2 and the top end nF2. Whatever you decide I'd strongly advise an nForce2.

Thread Information