Thread: SFF case with 2 pci card slots?

Thanks

SFF case with 2 pci card slots?

I currently have a Bose wave music system, pioneer hd recorder/DVD player & freeview box. My thinking was to build a MMPC with a dual tuner freeview card (record one channel while watching another), sound card, big HD to store all of my mp3's & disc drive to play DVD/Audio Cd's and get rid of the above items. The freeview card can also get dab radio so that's radio sorted as well. I have so far decided on the below components

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250Gb HD
    Nebula Dual Tuner - PCI card and Slave USB tuner bundle
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music

I'm only going to do the things i specified above on it i.e. no gaming/word processing & no internet so i don't need huge amounts of processing power/ram, i was thinking between 1.5 and 2ghz processor, 512mb ram & on-board motherboard graphics should do. The real stumbling block so far is what to stick everything in? i don't want to see the disc drive bay so a case with a clean front look with a flappy thingy for the disc drive to push down when ejecting(you know what i mean). I found the Antec Overture 2 ATX Desktop Case but i think its just 2 big for my needs. There are those shuttle cases but i cant find one with 2 pci card slots (sounds and TV card) can anyone help? thanks.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Shuttle did do a 2 PCI slot case about 2-3 years ago, but it was based on Socket A mobo with a VIA chipset with integrated graphics. I can’t remember the model number, but seeing as Shuttle doesn’t sell anything equivalent now, it probably did not sell.

I would say your best bet would be to buy a Micro-ATX motherboard and an SFF style case that suits you.

The SilverStone SG01S case looks quite good, and has plenty of room for drives and a decent PSU.
    Review: http://www.hardware-review.net/html/...ticle&sid=1052
    Scan: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=244419

I have an Antec Aria, which is even smaller, and has room for three Hard Drives, the problem is that it is rather cramped inside, and the included PSU is not very good.
    Review: http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2...a/index.x?pg=1

Alternatively there are plenty of flat HPC cases that take Micro-ATX boards, but you will have to be even more careful about what else will fit.

Thanks
    I would go with something like the Silverstone SG01 as well (get the evolution version - better airflow).
    The Antec Aria and Aspire X-QPack don't deliver enough juice for more or less guaranteed stable running - check out dozens of forums that are populated with a lot examples. A recent Qpack review showed a photo of the PSU with 14A and 16A on the +12V1 and +12V2. I'm sure that earlier reviews showed different ratings, so goodness knows what you might actually receive out of some dusty warehouse.
    Another SFF mATX case with full ATX PSU capability is the Aopen G325. UK reviews have been out for weeks now, but I cannot find a stockist any closer than Franceland. Did write to Aopen to ask about stockists, they wrote back to ask where I lived and they haven't replied.

It is very unsatisfactory and frustrating that SFF cases don't seem to have kept up with the increased capabilities available to mAtx mobos.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys, that SilverStone 'SUGO' Evolution SG01S is exactly what i was looking for in terms of space and look. I would have preferred if they had made the disc drive bays stealthy but i guess you cant have everything.

Come to think of it, does anyone know of a dual tuner freeview pci card that is anyone near as good as the nebula one? thanks. As the nebula card has to have a usb slave tuner, which is not ideal. I was also looking at other silverstone cases and noticed the SilverStone "LASCALA" which for i think would be better because it looks more like a DVD player just bigger, does anyone know of any reviews or has first hand experience with one?

Also i need a motherboard, im going to be using on board graphics so they need to be at least half decent, any suggestions? Thanks.
    Last edited by englishmen; 17-05-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks
    You have plenty of option beyond the SG01. The aspire x-Qpack takes a normal PSU so don't worry about the stock one. THe Ultra Micro Fly (longer than the Qpack) also takes it.

There are plenty of other ones out there so just look around. I have a list at my website which is in my sig.

Thanks
    Thanks steeeeve for the info however i found the SilverStone "LASCALA" which comes with a 300w power supply which will be enough for my needs, has a disc drive bay which is a stealth one which is what i was looking for. I t also has 3 card slots which is exactly what i was looking(TV, sound & maybe a graphics card if on board don't service).

I think im also going to get this motherboard and was also thinking maybe get Intel celeron processor because im going to gut windows to death with nlite and only going to have vlc for videos, foobar2000 for audio and the TV and sound card drivers/software which means i don't need that much processing power. Do you think the motherboard and processor will do for my needs? Thanks.

Thanks
    well, I'm trying to build up a LASCALA LC11 case ...it comes with a 2xPCI+AGP riser and the case is DVD-player like but only 10cm high. After a brief install my 9800pro wasn't working, but I didn't have time to analyse it (probably a bad connection via the riser ... I hope that's all it is!) going to play with it when I get home...

Very nice little case, comes with a psu, all seems well put together though I'd have done a few things differently

Thanks
    I'm assuming the pci cards you had installed correctly then? Im hoping on-board s graphics will service as im only using it to play DVDs music and watch TV.

Thanks
    PCI and AGP cards working together now - I think it was just that the AGP part of the riser wasn't seated properly in the motherboard. Two PCI slots were no problem. I might switch to onboard graphics too, though it depends how useful I find the AIWs TV tuner...and if I can silence it's cooler!

(got a problem of the ATi and iMon drivers confliting and killing windows but I think I may have found a solution to that too at last!)

Thanks
    Does anyone know when the Lian Li PC-V300 will be available?

Thanks
    End of June I hear

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve
    End of June I hear
    Thanks mate. Will you be selling it? How much etc...?

Thread Information