Thread: northbridge fan

Thanks

northbridge fan

Hey, im upgrading soon, but on my current mobo the northbridge fan has died an ugly death.

Its ok at the moment as it has a big fan blowing on it, but when i get the new mobo etc i'll be moving it to an old case with not so much airflow, so i need to replace the fan.

Any one have any recommendations?

Cheers

Steve

Thanks
    airflow does fa. all you need is extractor fan at back, and one in the side or at front or both, will help.

fans will die, if it does, then your mobo is pretty ****ed tbh. having more airflow will not make the fan last longer

Thanks
    It will be a 40mm fan on a northbridge right? Just buy another one and screw it on, presuming it's a standard type fan.

Otherwise you could take it off, take the sticker off, oil it and see if that brings it to life for a bit.

What motherboard is it? Perhaps the fan isn't totally necessary for that northbridge, or just slapping a bigger passive heatsink on will suffice.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    i've had the fan unplugged for a week now, so its not gonna die from lack off cooling atm.

I know the fan won't last much longer, thats why im asking what to replace it with

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    I use the Vantec Iceberg, on my A7N8X Deluxe & 8RGA+
    Works admirably, tho I know the Zalman passiv chipset cooler works fine too.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Registered+
    Thanks
    The 40mm fan starting screeching then gave up on my old KT266A Epox board. I just disconnected it and it carried on working absolutely fine. For ages...

Personally, I think a 40mm fan does very little in a well ventilated case. It doesn't generate enough airflow to be game changing. If it works without the fan and carries on working and running stably, there is no issue!

My Asus A78NX-Deluxe has a passive cooler and I love the silence. If heat is an issue, consider the Zalmann or similar. Otherewise, no problem

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    get a passive Zalmon, to keep things silent. drop me a PM if u want to know where to get one for £5

Thanks
    When the N/b fan on my old Asus A7v133-C mobo dide on me I replaced it with a coolermaster 40mm fan. It has its own little heatsink on it, and a adheisive pad on the bottom. I just bent the screw holes back on the old n/b fan fitting and slotted the heatsink with fan in, was better than the original
    Still working fine
    Last edited by Lexeus; 19-11-2003 at 12:44 AM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    I think ill probably get a nice quiet solution like the zalmon, plaster it to the northbridge of my new board (nf7-s) and put that an on the old mobo...that way the mainrig stays nice an quiet

Thread Information