Thread: Computer Build Help!

Thanks

Computer Build Help!

Hi. I'm in the process of building my computer and i've just noticed that the case fans - and the CPU fan has these two "molex" tye connecters hanging off them.

What exactly do I do to get them to work. My PSU only has 5 molex connectors!

Thanks
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ | Connect3D Radeon 9600PRO | Seagate Barrcuda 80GB HDD | 512mb PC2700 Crucial RAM | MSI KT6 Delta FIS2R | Zorro Silver Case | Windows XP/Gentoo Linux

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Molex splitters. Available from maplin.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Your cooler may plug into your motherboard as well. Depends which one though

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by steve threlfall
    Your cooler may plug into your motherboard as well. Depends which one though
    I would beware of connecting a fan to your motherboard. I managed to fry part of a motherboard by connecting a fan to it. They draw too much current. This is particularly true of newer faster, more powerful fans.

Thanks
    Hmmmm. Damn well thats a bit of a let down.

Also I found these bizarre looking pins which had markings like "VCC" and "GND3".

I've had a look through my mobo manuel but I can't seem to see anything relavent.

Here's some pics to show what I mean. (Sorry about the messy wiring)

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ | Connect3D Radeon 9600PRO | Seagate Barrcuda 80GB HDD | 512mb PC2700 Crucial RAM | MSI KT6 Delta FIS2R | Zorro Silver Case | Windows XP/Gentoo Linux

Thanks
    The molex connector you are holding is conencted to a fan I assume. It allows you to connect a molex from your PSU and then use the other connection on the fan to connect to another device.
    It is in fact a passthru connector so that you dont lose a molex connection.

The other wires you have I would guess are from a USB connection you have on the front of your case. By attaching the wires you have to the right pins on your motherboard (most have the pins, but not all) you will be able to attach usb devices to the front of your case.

Thanks
    That second lot of waires look suspiciously like the power on, reset, hdd light and pc speaker wires... they'd be labeled as such if they are.

The molex connectors for your fan are just male/female variants of the same thing, they give you two different types depending on what you have free from your PSU after hooking up your drives and motherboard. My PSU has dozens of bloody leads comming out of it, all doing the same thing, just different types of connectors.

I suggest hooking up your HDD and disc drives to two separate sets of leads, then hooking your fans up to any remaning leads.

If you've got five leads to start with, you should have enough. Dont worry about leaving one of those sockets on your fan unplugged, its just there as another way of powering your fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Originally posted by gamezfreak

That's the same as mine. It's pre-split. Plug it into one of them and it should work. I could get a pic of mine if you like but i cba atm

Thanks
    Hi.

Thanks for the help guys - It's most appreciated. Yes those connecters are just like 'Gateways' to other devices. I connected 3 case fans to one molex connecter (is that safe?)

Anyway. Those wires were actually just loads of front port connecters - Me being a lazy bugger - I could'nt be arsed to find the place to connect them to. (It was only USB/Firewire/Headhones anyway) i'll just use the back.

Anyway. A new question has arisen. I've took off the other side of my case to screw the HDD/CD drives in properly - when I noticed this connecter....

Anyone know what its for?

And does anyone know how I can tidy up the wiring in my case. Its really messy!

Thanks
    It's probably a fan or light connector - try following it back, it'll be behind your front bezel.

The cables marked "VCC" and "GND3" will be your front USB connectors - you'll have to find the pin out for these in your motherboard manual.

Tidying cables - you'll find out a lot in the case mod forums. Main options are cable ties, spiral wrap, loom but most of all - planning.
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Thanks
    Woo. I've got it up and working but I think there's a problem with heat.

My CPU idles at something like 49 degree's (with fan turned up high) and the system temp is 39.

Is that dangerous/hot?

Thanks
    is the heat sink on correctly? i would try and reseat that apply some thermal paste and just watch it. when i first built my new computer my cpu temps where around that after a couple of days with the thermal paste on they started to drop.

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    If you want to overclock your CPU that is a bit of a dodgy starting CPU temp...

If it IS overclocked then that is good (if a little hot) ! Mine currently idles at 50 degrees c. But there is a nice new fan sitting on my desk. Will install it tomorrow, and then my temp will go to a proper temp.

Also... those usb related wires you can't be bothered installing... I am the same currently. But... they provide you with an EXTRA usb that is on the front of your case. so it is worth the effort. Imagine all the usb fun u can have with say a gamepad - not usually always connected, so going to the back sux... providing your mobo has usb headers..

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    Swine... me.. I have installed that nice shiny new copper heatsinked fan. Shat bricks when my finger was hovering over the on switch and the molex power connector for the fan was dangling there loose and unloved.

Also. I think I messed up putting on the Thermal Compound. Because my cpu is now running at 49 degrees c. On its actual clocking. Though this is definately not its idle !! Its been thrashing itself on Prime95 for a few hours. Though I heard somewhere that it conducts heat better after a few days.

It definately seems very stable though.... time to try and break it.

Thanks
    They're dropping now - I think the paste is settling in.

Thread Information