Thread: Sleep mode doesn't turn off anything :(

Thanks

Sleep mode doesn't turn off anything :(

Heya, can someone please tell me what I have to do to get my computer to stop spinning its fans and stuff when I go into sleep mode (standby)?

It's a self-built. Usually, there's a 2 or 3 -pronged connecter that comes off the power supply and connects onto the motherboard. This connector (I think) detects when the computer has entered sleep mode and informs the PSU to shut down all drives, fans, LED lights, etc.

My current PSU (ANTEC Phantom) does not have such a connector. Therefore, when Windows has gone into standby, it's just as loud as ever

Is there any way they would release an ATX PSU without this connector? Or is it a mistake in the manufacturing process. Also, is there anything I can do to adapt one of the other molex connectors to fit this special motherboard connector so it will work?

Thanks,
    MAtt

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    ive never seen one with that kind. Whats happening is youre putting it into sleep mode, which is instant wake up, what youre after is Suspend to Ram hibernation, which is something youll need to enable in the bios (i believe its usually called S3)

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's should be in ur BIOS as herulach said, and for the connector, i think it's for the speed monitoring rather than sleep monitoring
    Primary kit:
    Fuji S5 Pro - Nikkor AF 50/1.8 - Nikkor AF 85/1.8
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:
    Leica M3 - Summicron 50/2 DR - Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 - M-Rokkor 40/2

Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50/2 Macro - Zuiko 50/1.4 - Zuiko 35/2.8

Thanks
    Oh okay thanks. I will look for something in the BIOS. To be more descriptive, what's happening is that the video card shuts down (monitor goes off) and the light on the optical mouse light turns off. The drives also turn off.

HOWEVER, periodically, the mouse light and drives will turn back on, do something (I can hear them clicking away), and then turn back off. The monitor stays off like it should. So basically, when I put it into standby mode, it STAYS in standby mode like it should, however not ALL of it goes into standby mode.

Thanks
    Okay, I changed S1 to S3 in the power tab of the BIOS. But now when I put it in sleep mode, it just turns off the mouse & KB all the way, so I can't click to bring it back out of standby. I have to press the power button once to make it wake back up.

Unfortunately, the fans still keep going. The PSU fan, the CPU fan, all the case fans too...

Does anyone have any more ideas? Thanks.

Thanks
    obviously u cant really turn the PSU fan off, as if ur computer is on, the PSU needs to be kept cool. what you could try is rig all ur fans onto the one rail, then insert a flick-switch in the 12V rail, before it hits any of the fans. Mount the switch somewhere out of sight and hey presto, when u go to bed just flick the switch, it breaks the 12v rail to ur fans and switches them off As for ur cpu fan, just buy a half decent silent HSF and you wont really need a fan at all

Thanks
    One thing to mention is that my PSU (the Antec Phantom 500) has a fan, but is designed to operate without a fan (silent PSU). Even if it wasn't a silent PSU, I know many computers where the PSU fan turns off when it's in sleep mode.

K0m0d0, that's a good idea. I have all my fans (including the CPU fan) hooked up to a front panel 5.25" bay fan speed controller. Unfortunately I can adjust the speeds but not switch them completely OFF.

The controller receives it's power from one standard 4-pin Molex connector, and then distributes power to the fans via smaller, 3-pin connectors.

If I could intercept the power on the 4-pin Molex connector with a switch, I could do what you propose.

But how about this idea: The front pannel controller has an unused 12v switch with inputs for a red and black lead. Now, the standard 4-pin Molex connector has 1 red, 2 blacks, and 1 yellow. Is there any way I can use the controller's own toggle switch to switch on and off the 4 Molex wires?
    Last edited by latrosicarius; 18-06-2006 at 02:22 AM.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    are the fans plugged into the MOTHERBOARD or the PSU?

Im sure only the motherboard can shut them off in SLEEP MODE.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • FatalSaviour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 860
      • Memory:
      • 4x2GB GEiL PC17000
      • Storage:
      • 3x1000GB, 2x500GB (RAID1), 1x2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 470
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311, Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM 30Mb
    Zak makes a good point .
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

Thanks
    The fan speed controller is plugged directly from the PSU. All the fans are powered from that. Some of them, like the CPU, front, & rear case fans are monitored by the motherboard due to a splitter provided by the fan speed controller.

I know some newer motherboards have a molex connector comming off the board, but mine does not have that. I always thought that the motherboard gave a signal to the PSU to shut down all rails except for it's own 20 or 24-pin rail when it entered sleep mode.

For those of you who have built your own systems, do you have a similar problem making your computer go to sleep all the way? If not, how did you configure your fans?

Thanks

Thanks
    • FatalSaviour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 860
      • Memory:
      • 4x2GB GEiL PC17000
      • Storage:
      • 3x1000GB, 2x500GB (RAID1), 1x2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 470
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311, Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM 30Mb
    Not sure what molex connector you're talking about on the motherboard....do you mean the one that takes power FROM the PSU TO the motherboard for SLI setups? (ie. you don't draw power from the motherboard, but vice versa)

What about if you plug the CPU fan etc into the 3 pin headers on the motherboard? Does that turn the fans off when you STR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FatalSaviour
    Not sure what molex connector you're talking about on the motherboard....do you mean the one that takes power FROM the PSU TO the motherboard for SLI setups? (ie. you don't draw power from the motherboard, but vice versa)
    Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. I was just point out that some new mobos have a molex connector on them for powering various things (but mine doesn't have one):

Quote Originally Posted by FatalSaviour
    What about if you plug the CPU fan etc into the 3 pin headers on the motherboard? Does that turn the fans off when you STR?
    No, in fact even the fan on the Graphics card stays on, and that is plugged directly into the graphics card, nothing else. (The card itself receives power from the AGP8x bus as well as a 4-pin molex from the PSU.

Just letting you guys know that this problematic PC is not my only self build. I've built plenty of other PCs that go to sleep just fine. I'm beginning to think it's either the Mobo (Intel D875PBZ) or some BIOS setting (but S1 vs S3 does nothing to help).

Thanks if anyone has any more help

Thread Information