Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Build - first problem encountered.

Registered+
    Thanks

First Build - first problem encountered.

Right here goes.

Got the Mobo(ECS KNI Sli Lite) in with the CPU (146) and the Cooler (AC FP64). PSU is in also (Enermax Liberty 500w). IN went the RAM(2gb Geil) All well so far.
    Started hooking up all the Switch cables from the NZXT Lexa (nightmare as they aint the clearest) and eventually got them in the right place. Then I stuck in me GFX card (XFX 7900gt pre-overclocked)
    SO I decide to do a system check on parts installed so far. Hooked up me monitor and voila got the bios screen up, preceded by a nice flashy image of ECS LOGO for the mobo. and then hit F1 for test.

And this was the message:

PXE-E61 Media Test Failure - check cable
    PXE-MOF Exiting Nvidia Boot Agent

So I unplugged and took out GFX (carefully) and reinstalled. I also unhooked the PCI connector and plugged that back in too. Rebooted and same error message.

So I am now wondering whether I have installed GFX card wrongly or card is faulty. The XFX manual said to use one of theircables to the PCI slot but none was in box. Besides Enermax said to use their cables which I did. Essentially there is only 1 cable running from GFX to PSU. Should there be another?

My initla n00bish feeling is in fact that all is well and that I only get this message because I have installed HDD and DVD ROM to set up the drivers but am worried about the cable message. I thought the GFX card was working fine because I got the nice flashy ECS logo at beginning. Being a first time build I may have forgotten something.

So your help is gratefully appreciated.

awm
    Thanks
    I think the Nvidia referenced is the nForce mobo. Try removing and reattaching all the SATA and PATA cables. Also a picture could help debug something you overlooked if that doesn't fix it. I think the power cable is a PCI-E connector. Is it a 3pin X 2pin cable. If so the XFX adaptor is if you only have molex. You don't need it. One more thing. I just looked at a picture of you power supply (nice looking btw) and it seems to use a plug that looks very similar to PCI-e power connectors, could the cable be reversed? (Just a guess don't know more than you can see with a photo about the power supply)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpa
    PXE-E61 Media Test Failure - check cable
    PXE-MOF Exiting Nvidia Boot Agent
    It's saying that it's got nothing (HDD, floppy etc.) to boot from.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Registered+
    Thanks
    AWM - The Connectors for the PCI-E are the standard 3x2 running from PSU to GFX and the yseem fine - but I'll have another look at them tomorrow. However the PSU has no facility for a molex connector as it sates to use their own cables which I have done. Which brings me to BUFFS tip - To be honest thats what I thought it might be because I got the screen up for the Bios and the ECS logo.

What I will try to do tomorrow in get the HDDs and the ROM/RW in and then take it from there. Fingers crossed once I get the HDDs in etc and do the final main check before installing OS all will be fine. (or do I need to install OS first before installing Drivers) - tis fun this building malarkey

TA for the help.

OH one more thing before I hit the hay for the night.

I have a WD 250 and a WD raptor74 to install. Which one should I install first and more's to the point, which one shold I designate as my main C Drive?

Thanks
    I would go with the Raptor for system drive & the 250 for storage.
    & you have to load the OS before drivers

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks
    Definitly use the Raptor as your C drive (Master/OS)

Use the 250 as a slave (D drive, or whatever) for storage of files.

You need fastest access to your master drive b/c that's where your OS will be constantly reading & writing files, and that's where all your programs & games will be installed.

Your slave drive can be slow b/c there's absolutely no kind of file (movie/music/document/etc) that requires speeds greater than the 133MBps that your slave will give you.

You won't have a problem regarding hard drive space with the 74GB for your master (unless you decide to partition it into more than one partition). Just remember NOT to store your files in your My Documents folder as it lies on the C drive by default. Simply create a folder in the root folder of your 250GB slave drive and call it "All Files" or something similar. Then either create a shortcut to it on your desktop OR redirect the My Documents virtual shortcut to it (right-click on My Documents, go to Properties, and change the path). Just remember to keep all your files in there (or in subfolders within that directory) and you will be fine.
    Last edited by latrosicarius; 18-06-2006 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks
    ...the PSU has no facility for a molex connector as it sates to use their own cables...
    Just FYI, all the 4-pin connectors on a PSU are called "Molex" connectors.

The new PCIe graphics cards require a 6-pin (3x2) connector. Some new PSUs have them built in. If not, your graphics card will come with an adapter (unless you bought your card OEM) that takes two standard Molex connectors and adapts it to one 6-pin connector.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Nice one. Am going to continue assembling on the assumption now that all is working fine, fingers crossed.

SO what so you think I should do next? Should I forge on ahead now and install everything that remains which is the DVD Rom, DVD RW, 2 HDDs and the Floppy/Card Reader before conducting the next test?

Thanks
    • hibby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro C7Z87-OCE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 1600MHz (9-9-9-24)
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 840 Pro; 120GB OCZ Vertex 3; 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ; 250GB Seagate 7200.10
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X GHz
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2413; 24" Dell 2408WFP; 17" Dell 1704FPT
      • Internet:
      • Slow, rural broadband
    If you're really concerned, then just hook up a single hard drive and test it. I personally wouldn't be trying to check that the components work until they're all connected, but then that's because I'm too impatient to do things slowly and steadily.
    If you can't keep up, stick with reality...

Registered+
    Thanks
    MOrning again

After listening to BUFF I installed all the remaining HDDs and Floppies, DVD etc - Same error Message.

Was talking to a friend last night and he advised removing the spare HDD and the floppy and try to reboot using only 1 HDD

Am still getting same error message again.

Am bumping this to see if anyone else has any further thoughts on this.

Thanks
    • hibby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro C7Z87-OCE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 840 Pro; 120GB OCZ Vertex 3; 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ; 250GB Seagate 7200.10
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Slow, rural broadband
    Hmm, another thought... are these brand new hard drives? If so, the system is probably looking for a bootloader and failing to find one. So, assuming that the CD for your OS installation is bootable, put it in the DVD drive and try booting up. Then you can see whether the installer can see your hard drives.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hibby - So you are saying here that I should load my Microsoft OS Cd then and see what happens?

The Hard Drives are used but have been cleaned. They were a friends so there is nothing on them in terms of drivers/OS etc etc.

Thanks
    • hibby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro C7Z87-OCE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Slow, rural broadband
    Okay, here's the checklist of what I'd be doing now:

1. Let the computer boot up, and after it carries out the memory check see whether it detects any hard drives.

2. If it doesn't, go into the BIOS and scan the IDE channels for drives. Hopefully this will find them.

3. If the motherboard can detect the hard drives, then it's time to try the Windows installation.

BTW, are you using PATA or SATA hard drives?

Registered+
    Thanks
    SATA Drives.

It's recognising the HDDS on the boot up screen so at least that's something. Might be time then to try to OS.....

At this stage though I haven't configured any drives / opticals etc etc - should I do this after the OS is in?

Apols for all these questions but all a little bwildering at times though I'm determinedto succeed

Thanks
    At this stage though I haven't configured any drives / opticals etc etc - should I do this after the OS is in?
    you will need to set the boot order to have the optical ahead of the HDD for the OS install.
    After the OS is installed you can then change it cak to the HDD ahead of the optical.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Registered+
    Thanks
    Morning all

Thanks for all your help. Went home last night and tried a few more things with checking cables etc etc. Then decided to take the plunge and install the OS - and voila - all went in fine.
    Windoes up and running fine and the drivers for the Modo and GFX are in. Had a few issues with the second HDD but they resolved themselves nicely. I need to do a little work on the sound - the drivers are in for the onboard realtek audio but am still nto getting anything - but can spend some time on that later after I test the gfx card out on CoD2 and WoW.

SO My next List is as follows:
    1. Test Gfx
    2. Test Sound
    3. Sort out 2nd ODD - the DVD RW
    4. Attempt to tidy up the mess inside the case.

Anything else I should be doing in these final stages?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information