Thread: New SN25P wont turn on

Thanks

New SN25P wont turn on

Just put together a system and it wont poewr on.

I've determined that when the CPU is in the lights on it just flash when the on button is pressed and the fans try to spin briefly and then shut off, and after that a small red light turns on, located at the front left corner.

When the CPU isn’t in it and you press the on button the flights and fans come on but nothing comes up because the CPU isn’t in I suppose. So I suspect something is isn’t “setup” properly with the dual core or that it's a DOA.

Anyway if anyone could help me out that would be sweet, here are my specs.

Shuttle SN25P
    2GB corsair twinx
    A64 3800 dual core
    7900 GT
    1 x 74 Raptor
    1 x BenQ 1650

Thanks for your help

Just so you know I don't have any other socket 939 motherboards or CPU's I can test in it, I've tried taking thememory out, it doesn't seemto be the problem and the VGA is plugged into the PSU via the Y connector that comes with the SN25P.

Thanks again

Shuttle Representative SebShuttle's Avatar
    Thanks
    This sounds like the CPU is overheating. Can you make sure that the heat pipe is properly installed and plugged in?

Thanks
    Well after much driving around and a lot of hassles I finally have Windows XP installed on my new SN25P.

In saying that I'm still not even close to happy with it.

It's randomly crashing and doesn't seem very stable at all.

I want to try a bios update but I can't find out what version of the bios I have. On start up it comes up with the shuttle logo screen and I can't seem to get rid of it and there doesn’t seem any options within the bios, does anyone know how?

BTW the MB was replaced which seems to have fixed the bulk of the problem, but I have a feeling that the PSU isn't up to scratch...

In the bios all voltages are appearing a bit below what they're rated, I know there is a +/-5% margin of error or something like that, but it seems a little too coincidental.

CPU voltage 1.31
    Chipset voltage 1.53
    3.3V VIN 3.21
    +5V VIN 4.91
    +12V VIN 11.52
    -12V VIN -11.29
    5V SBVIN 4.97
    Voltage Battery 3.0
    Sys temp 36
    CPU 33

The temperatures seem fine but if a bios update doesn't fix my current crashes I wouldn't be surprised if the PSU is dodge, I really hope the bios update fix's all my crashes. Can anyone recommend a good bios to change/update too, not sure right now which one I have....

Also I don't have a floppy is it possible to install the bios off cd/HDD or in windows?

Another thing, if anyone has any information on their SN25P PSU, voltages etc you’re getting could you please post them I’d like to see what other people get.

I hope this is resolved soon, I really love my little shuttle it's just had the most hassles I have had to deal with in building a PC in about the last 5 or more years. I guess the roller coaster had to have some bumps on it sometime but this is crazy...

IMO the current shuttle I have should not have been let out of the warehouse, there is some serious problems with the quality control at shuttle, unless this was just an extremely unlucky circumstance

Also on top of that I have to drive back out to the shop because the guy that replaced the MB took my optical brackets and a thumbscrew... =(

Many thanks

Thanks
    A friend of mine had an sn25p that had similar problems. The psu was knackered and it blew taking the cpu and ram with it...

Only thing that worked for him was a new sn25p.

Thanks
    Farrrrrkkkk....

That's not inspiring much confidence in me. What happened did he get the other parts replaced or was it a big muck around with lots of money following?

Was his new one flawless with no more problems?

Thanks
    The current BIOS version for the SN25P is dated Feb. 28, 2006.

While this is not from Shuttle, you can use the boot CD available here to a) determine the BIOS version you have, and b) update your BIOS.

Added: BIOS updates under Windows. http://de.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDefa...26_read-10520/
    Shuttle Representative - Shuttle.com

Thanks
    Many thanks I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks
    Hi there...

On the ftp there is a bios version

File: fn25s00t.bin 512 KB 4/03/2005 12:00:00 AM

Should I ignore this and just get the one you recommended

File: fn25s028.bin 512 KB 28/02/2006 9:56:00 AM

???

Thanks

Thanks
    The last available version is (without a doubt) this one: http://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/sn25p/fn25s028.zip

This last update added support for FX-60 CPUs. You can see a list of the versions and their changes here:

ftp://ftp.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/...readmefn25.htm

fn25s00t was/is the initial release, so it would not be my first choice.
    Shuttle Representative - Shuttle.com

Thanks
    Ok thanks a lot for your help I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks
    So after loading the new bios windows is cycle crashing now, I can't read the blue screen error msg because it's too fast and pausing wont work.

Any other bios version you think I should try?

After loading the new bios on everything went smoothly and windows shutdown, I entered bios to load defaults and then when I tried to restart it just started cycling.

I guess I'll probably have to reinstall windows now, what a pain in the bum...

One other thing, In advanced bios features the manual shows that there is another option to turn off Small EPA logo, this doesn't appear in my bios and in the past there has been a key combination or similar to get advanced bios features. Is this the case in this instant and if so how do I get that option to appear?

Also anyone that has an SN25P could you please respond with the power voltages you get in bios.

Many thanks

Thanks
    Sooo... Now I'm just getting blue screens when I try to install windows, how can one little box cause so many problems...

Any word on those PSU voltages?

Thanks
    hows it going now ender.
    i have a sn25p, had real issues with how unstable it was, still havent determined weather its the shuttle itsself or one of the sata drives, i've had to reinstall windows loads of times.
    just recently swaped an amd3200 with a 4800 dualcore (u might read the thread i posted), seems to be ok for the moment.
    I'm curious to see how your getting on.

Thanks
    xpcdc, your problem was almost certainly with the SATA cables supplied with it.

For some reason the Shuttle cables are to be honest cr*p. I likewise went through a number of wipes, then swapped them over for some other ones and it's run flawlessly for 9 months!

My SN25P likewise has been good in every area for over a year now running the spec in signaturem if you want me to look at something let me know exactly what to do and I'll do it - I'm a bit of a n00b so instructions please

ShMeE
    Current: Shuttle SX58J3, i7 950, Corsair 16GB, 2x 1.5TB, XFX 6850 1GB, 3x Samsung 23" 1920x1080, 5760x1080 = AWESOME!

Laptop: Vaio Z (13.3")
    Hexus Trust ¦ Shmee150.co.uk (Supercar Blog)

Thanks
    now that makes a lot sence. thx for that. it has been driving me nuts of the last year

Thanks
    Glad to be of assistance

Ender, if you want me to do something, let me know what!

ShMeE
    Current: Shuttle SX58J3, i7 950, Corsair 16GB, 2x 1.5TB, XFX 6850 1GB, 3x Samsung 23" 1920x1080, 5760x1080 = AWESOME!

Laptop: Vaio Z (13.3")
    Hexus Trust ¦ Shmee150.co.uk (Supercar Blog)

Thread Information