Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fujitsu Laptop Advice

Thanks
    Any veiws on your new laptops guys?

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    Very pleased with it. Some people complain how heavy it is, but I personally don't find it that awkward at all. The screen is great, with very good contrast and brightness. It will flex a little bit, but that's not surprising due to its size. Same can be said of the chassis. However, I'm not planning on moving it holding just one corner, so shouldn't be much of a problem.

Performance wise, it's a good improvement over my desktop system. I got 5757 in 3DMark05 and about 3000 in 3DMark06. However, there is a cost for this; heat. The palm rests do get hot, but not unbearable. The hard drives get to a tempreture of about 50C and the CPU about 65C under load. Couldn't find out about the graphics card though. I think this could be solved if I could increase the speed of the fans, but so far haven't found out how. They are very quiet and would be happy to put up with a bit more noise for a bit less heat. I am considering getting a notebook cooler for it to help with this problem.

The final thing is that the battery will only last about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours. However, I got this more as a DTR, so again doesn't trouble me too much.

So in conclusion; so far so good.

Thanks
    Yep, my experience is pretty much the same as Gerrard's.

Hardware wise, it's nice. Feels a teeny bit flimsy on the lid, but the base feels solid enough. Build quality is satisfactory, although it wouldn't take much of a knock to crack the silver casing.

It does pump out quite a bit of heat when gaming (especially in this weather), but it's not much of an issue so far....at least, I hope not.

Been trying to play Titan Quest on it, and while everything runs silky smooth during the heat of the action, the game will sometimes just drop back to desktop instantly....can't work out why....not sure if it's overheating, or just the game hating ATi graphics cards (I have a friend with an X800 who is having stability issues in the game as well). Having said that, I did have a similar issue when playing it on my shuttle pc as well, and that's got a 6800GT in it, so perhaps it's not an ATi issue.

I reloaded WinXP on my machine to take advantage of the RAID 0 functionality. Can't honestly say it's made a noticeable difference in normal desktop usage, but it definately loads games up in half the time it takes for my friends with comparable laptops, and friends with regular ATX machines (used my laptop to play Rise and Fall, and Titan Quest at a LAN on Sunday).
    Both those games run great with all details and res turned up to maximum.

I'm not totally confident that my laptop is 100% healthy though....a few minor stability issues (ATi Catalyst Control Centre completely locked the machine up last night), and shutting down seems to take an inordinate amount of time....upwards of a minute, despite the fact nothing is running.

I haven't really used it enough to make a fair judgment though....I'm still in the process of migrating all my data/apps across from my main PC.

Where did you get the temperature monitoring tools Gerrard? I tried to install MBM5 for that purpose, but couldn't figure out who manufactures the motherboard in order to config the app.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    To get the CPU temps, I am using Notebook Hardware Control, but it doesn't seem to support HD SMART, so couldn't get the HD temps from it. However, another program that I got off a link on notebookreview forums (Everest Home 220) seemed to be able to access them, but gives the CPU tempreture as completely different to NHC . I tried using 3DMark06's system details, and it comes up with the MB manufacturer as Fujitsu-Siemens and chipset as Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM.

I am also getting some slight instability issues (currently only playing DDO and Civ4), but I think this may be due to the heat. Tried to update the drivers, but the Catalyst 6.6 drivers complain it can't find a driver, and the ATI mobile compatibility tester thing said it wasn't compatible. So I am currently using the latest Omega drivers which seem to be OK at the moment.

Thanks
    Yep, had the same problems when trying to upgrade my drivers last night. There is a way around it. I saw a forum post on another website, which I'll link you too as soon as the Google Mail servers come back online (I emailed myself the URL, hehe).

What are Omega drivers? Are they just Beta ATi drivers?

Thanks for the info about NHC. I already knew which chipset the laptop was running, but the problem is to load the correct configuration you need to tell MBM5 who actually made the mobo, and Fujitsu-Siemens aren't listed. Bumflaps

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by da.Guvna
    What are Omega drivers? Are they just Beta ATi drivers?
    http://www.omegadrivers.net/about.php

Sort of the other way around. They're modded drivers by Some Guy which can help gaming porfarmance and give users more options/tools. It's an alternative to the official ones.

Thanks
    OK, here's that post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...&postcount=154

I think what he means to say is to install from Device Manager/Add Remove Hardware, use the "Have disk" option, and point it to the specific inf files.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard
    It's an improvement on the official ones.
    amended catalyst drivers are guff

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    Progress Report:

This afternoon AVG decided to crash in the background whilst I was playing DDO. The error message it came up with said it was having trouble reading from memory. So I decided to download a memory tester (Windows Memory Diagnostic) and try it out. Lo and behold, my memory started to fail various tests. Just to make sure, I downloads Memtest+ which is also failed, but was more helpful in its results.

First, I tried one module at a time, and found that only 1 module failed. I then took the "good" module and tried the other slot, just to make sure, and it passed there as well. So I think I have a duff module. I am currently running my machine now with just the "good" module in hope that it might cut down the instability I have been having. Whether the heat has anything to do with it I am unsure, but should hopefully find out by tonight. Should it proove to be a duff module, then it doesn't matter too much as I am going to upgrade to 2Gb anyway.

PS, thanks for the link. I might try it if the Omega drivers prove unstable in any way.
    Last edited by Gerrard; 26-07-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks
    Aww man, that sucks about your memory

Just ran Memtest on mine and everything passed hunky-dory, so I'm pleased on that front at least.

I've also spent some time checking out the Titan Quest forums, and dear God are there a lot of people experiencing issues. Interestingly, the majority of people having crashing/rebooting issues are ATi card owners!

Been using the laptop all evening and not had a single problem with it thus far (fingers crossed), so I think my fears have been put to rest.

Just gonna install F.E.A.R for a bit of a stress-testing session to see if crashes are just limited to TQ.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    Well, I managed a whole evening gaming session without a single crash! It was just incredibly slow loading. So it looks like it was the memory after all, but it's also the first full evening I've done with the Omega Drivers, so it might have been that as well.

Anyway, I've ordered 2Gb RAM from Scan (as well as an external HD) which might come before the weekend, hopefully (*nudge* nudge* ). If it does, I'll probably spend the weekend doing what you did and reinstall Windows with the drives in RAID to help speed the system up.

Thanks
    Yep, mine didn't crash at all playing F.E.A.R, although I seemed to get some bad "lagging" issues seemingly everytime I performed an action that required a 'new' sound to be played. I.e. the first time a shot a wall there was a half-second pause, and then I could shoot the wall for ages without any issues. But then, shoot a paint can and it would lag for a split second , etc.

Then I realised that I had ALL DETAILS maxed out, so I turned everything down to 'High' and it's smooth as anything now
    I'm also running FEAR v1.00...unpatched, straight from the DVD, so perhaps performance will increase once I update it.

One grumble is that Volumetric Lighting/Shadows look pants on ATi cards compared to my old Nvidia.....or is that just because TQ and FEAR are both optimised for NV cards?

Anyway, that's not a complaint of the laptop, that's just an ATi issue.

Can honestly say I've had no stability issues other than the 2 I mentioned in previous posts.

Would definately recommend this laptop.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    Put the 2Gb RAM, did a Memtest of it, which turned out OK, and haven't looked back. Had no stability problems and 2 Gigs is definately the way forward. With transferring to RAID as well, I really can't complain about performance at all. Whilst I had the back off, I noticed that the graphics card is of the MXM type, so there's a possibility of upgrading later on; maybe.

Definately recommend the laptop, especially with 2Gb RAM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information