Thread: G5 Xserve, G5 quad and Gigaflops

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

G5 Xserve, G5 quad and Gigaflops

Just been hunting around but info is a little sparse on the ground. a collegue at work is looking to getting either an Xserve cluster (of 5 or 6) or a couple of G5 quads for processing scientific modelling data but we can't find any solid numbers on their processing ability. I'm not talking Ghz since processor cores change so rapidly now-a-days a 1.8ghz machine can whip the panties of a 2.5ghz machine...I'm after Gigaflop numbers and to compare the two.
    the cluster was the first idea (had ages ago) but it may be that the data does not need to be processed in a series through the cluster but a couple of stand-alone computers would suffice. secondly the new G5 quad maybe faster than a cluster but thats the data I just cannot find...does anyone have that sort of info/knowledge?
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    you should try sending an email over to Apple asking for some solid figures as these would be the most reliable. Perhaps they could even send you some of their competiton aswell.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v real) | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | HD2900XT 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 720W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | BenQ FP241WZ
    3dmark05 - 13140 | 3dmark06 - 6698 | SuperPi 1M - 15s

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    fair point I suppose