Thread: Help! Athlon XP problem

Thanks

Help! Athlon XP problem

Hi. I turned on my computer today to find that my CPU (AMD Athlon 2400XP) is being recognised as a 1800XP.

In WCPUID it says my speed is 1513mhz! It should be 2000mhz! What can I do to fix this?

EDIT: Just noticed that my CPU FSB was at 100mhz (for some bizarre reason) so I went into the BIOS and changed it to 134 (134 x 15 = 2010)

Except now my CPU is running at 2015mhz - Is this safe? I would of thought so - 15mhz won't hurt will it?
    Last edited by gamezfreak; 23-11-2003 at 11:21 PM.
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ | Connect3D Radeon 9600PRO | Seagate Barrcuda 80GB HDD | 512mb PC2700 Crucial RAM | MSI KT6 Delta FIS2R | Zorro Silver Case | Windows XP/Gentoo Linux

Slippery when wet
    Thanks
    Try updating to the latest BIOS, and make sure the fsb switch on the mobo isnt set to 100mhz, should be something like AUTO, thats what it is like with the Gigabyte boards anyway

Cr4iG

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    as long as your temps are ok your fine

Banned
    Thanks
    At least you solved the problem. 133mhz (it's DDR so 266FSB) is normal for your CPU. However it is TbredB based ... or if you bought it very recently then it could also be a Thorton but there's very little real difference. Either way means it is almost certainly happy at 2.1 to 2.3ghz so YES you should be perfectly fine running it at 15mhz faster than it's rated (which most mobos do automatically anyway). If you did want to see if it can run faster you will usually find the default multiplier (15x) a problem and very often you'd need an unusual FSB speed which could throw your PCI/AGP/IDE out of spec. You'd also want to know your cooling and RAM were up to the task, mobo too. The CPU itself should be very happy well over 2.0ish ghz.

Thread Information