Thread: Possible IO / Hard Disk Drive / Motherboard Issue

Thanks

Question Possible IO / Hard Disk Drive / Motherboard Issue

I bring to you a problem which has been occuring on and off for the past few weeks, and which is very intermittent and difficult to pin down. I first attributed it to heat, but I can have a fan blowing over the passive heatsink and have no issues, or be operating the same machine with no additional cooling in the middle of a heatwave (last week) and not have any problems.

The symptom is the stuttering of audio or the hardware drawn mouse cursor not following the mouse (mousover links activate and the cursor fails to move). This stuttering will get worse and worse over the course of one minute and the machine will reboot. On reboot it cannot detect the hard disk drive, but I can power it down and leave it and it will sometimes be fine. It does this whether I use 32bit transfer mode or not for the hard drive, which shows as an IDE device due to the strange way Asus implement SATA on my motherboard.

My specs are as follows:

Asus P5LD2-VM
    Intel Pentium D 830
    Maxtor DiamondMax 9 160GB SATA hard disk drive
    2x 512MB Crucial RAM (MemTest comes back clean)

I am totally confused by what is causing this, and don't want to send the board back to Scan only for it to come back NFF. I have no problem buying a new hard drive if somebody has evidence that Maxtor drives don't like these boards, or that it may be the drive. However, when it works fine, it works fine - no clicking, MaxBlast comes back 100%, and SMART doesn't report anything out of the ordinary. Access times and speed also seem totally normal.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    My event log is full of:

Code:
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Code:
    The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Code:
    A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

Code:
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    have you tried using something like speedfan, and getting a more detailed smart report? That shows up errors that the manufacturers ones often dont.....

Thanks
    Yes I used a program which checks the drive and it came back fine. I guarantee you that this isn't an issue with the drive. It has been suggested that these chipsets just don't like the older Maxtor drives, but nothing has been said officially by either party.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    "On reboot it cannot detect the hard disk drive, but I can power it down and leave it and it will sometimes be fine."
    This definitely implies it's not a software/driver configuration issue.

I would start by checking the BIOS and chipset drivers for updates or known issues

The board appears to have 4 SATA ports, have you tried it in another?
    Tried another SATA cable, or power connector?

Do you use the onboard IDE port?
    If not, try disabling it in the BIOS to see if there is a problem when both SATA and IDE are used at the same time.

Are the errors always reported on \Device\Harddisk0\D, and do they always occur in pairs?

I'm assuminng this is a single disk, paritioned into C: And D:, which would imply that the channel to the device (not partition) is unresponsive.

If Windows loses access to its boot drive it will show the symptoms you describe - kernel mode time increases as I/O requests start to queue up, user mode processes get starved of CPU time and lower-priority kernel events (such as audio and mouse cursor updates) will get less attention and start to stutter.

Eventually a paging or file operation will try to get some data from the disk that it needs to continue, and depending on what issued the request and how it handles timeouts, it could hang the app/OS or crash.
    If you yank the cable to the boot disk while Windows is running you'll see it do the same thing.

Asus' website times out here when I try to get the user manual, but is there a BIOS option for presenting SATA devices as IDE devices that you can toggle?
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    • ash_rm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35-S3
      • CPU:
      • E4300@3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x 2GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD & 80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7600GT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 380W
      • Case:
      • Antec Solo
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM 24" (1920 x 1200)
      • Internet:
      • Be (~ 3mb)
    That's some good advice above.

I've heard of certain maxtor drives having problems with DFI nForce4 boards before. I think maxtor actually released firmware updates for their drives which apparently solved the issues people were having.

Has this problem been happening since you set up this computer? Have you got a spare sata drive preferably of a different make? Just to isolate the problem as being with the maxtor.

Have you tried updating the bios to the latest version?

Thanks
    • nimbu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M3N78-EMH
      • CPU:
      • AMD 4050e
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Cosair XMS DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 30GB Samsung SSD : 250GB Seagate ES
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Hyper Type R 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
    As suggested, try changing the cable. Sometimes the ones you get with motherboards are really really shoddy quality.
    MAIN BOX: 4200+ @2.75 : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe: XP120 + Papst: 2Gb Mushkin Redline PC4000: 512MB 7950GT: 2x36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0:WD 420GB : NEC DVDR/RW: All Wrapped up in a Antec P180

Thanks
    • Couger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev2.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz CAS 9
      • Storage:
      • OCZ 60gb vertex 2E SSD, WD raptor 150gb, WD Raptor 160gb, WD1001FAES 1TB, WD15EARS 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD6970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750
      • Case:
      • LanCool PC-K62
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2007 FPW
      • Internet:
      • 8mb with plusnet
    hmm similar to situation im having with a friends laptop ill post if anything i find might help you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Adams
    Asus' website times out here when I try to get the user manual, but is there a BIOS option for presenting SATA devices as IDE devices that you can toggle?
    That's the strange thing, there isn't. It even says in the manual that the only options are to present SATA devices as IDE. Which is crazy.

I've tried all the other stuff as well

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    Its the same symtoms and even the same errorlog messages as a freind of mine had recently with his system.

His was the hard drive powering itself down intermitently.......and it was a Maxtor but on an NF4 board. Scan replaced the hard drive.

Do you find that sometimes when you turn the PC on from cold that it doesn't find the hard drive?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    Yes I do get that. I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive as well, but I want to purchase my new one from Scan on the proviso that if it doesn't help I can send the drive back. Just waiting to hear back from them now.

Thread Information