Thread: New PC Build problems - Help!!!!

Thanks

New PC Build problems - Help!!!!

Hi Guys,

I could really do with some help!

I recently spent a lot of money building a gamin PC but have been having major issues. I wonder if some f you could have a look at my spec and see if I am doing anything wrong?

I've got the following components -

Abit AN8-32X Mobo,
    AMD FX-60 CPU -Zalman CNPS9500 cooler
    2GB Crosair TwinX PC4000 RAM (2X 1GB Matched pair)
    2 x 300GB Maxtor Dimondmax III (SATA II)
    XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 XXX
    Creative X-FI Gamer
    KWorld DVB-T 100 Digital HDTV Tuner
    Sony Dual Layer DVD-RW
    900W quiet PSU
    Coolermaster Wavemaster case
    Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop
    Logitech Z-5500 Speakers
    17" Iiyama monitor (for desktop)
    30" Dell 3007WFP (for wall)
    Epson R800 Printer

I've built a few PC's in the past and it has been fairly straight forward. This however has not!

I have configured the CPU and memory at mobo default rather than try to get the memory running at DDR500 speed. I have one of the 300GB HDD as the primary drive with the second being split into 3 partitions. 1 x Drive C: page file (5GB), 1 x Back-Up image of Drive C, 1 x Downloads.

I have downloaded all the latest drivers for the graphics, sound, mobo and Kworld TV card, I have also downloaded all of the MS updates for Media Center 2005.

The problems I have been seeing range from Windows locking up - it stalls but I can still move the mouse cursor. Sometimes pressing ctrl+alt+del resolves this but other times I have to press reset.

Other issues are Media Center picking up 67 freeview channels (after a long scanning period) but some do not play properly (for example FTN or TMF, I can hear broken music in the background but the picture is black) This is only a recent issue as I have had all the channels working fine previously.

Also the whole PC seems slow. For the price of the machine I would have expected something special but I have been really unimpressed.

I initially thought it may be a heat problem, but the CPU temps hardly ever go over 40 C.

Any help would be appreciated .

Kind Regards,

James

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    Firstly.. dude... why 2 threads?!

Your problem is probably driver and BIOS related.. I have heard the BIOS that ships with the 32X AN8 isnt very tatty.. You might want to consider flashing the BIOS, and get a fresh install all over again.. shouldnt take that long anyways, and since its an ABIT, flashing using the FlashMenu should be fairly safe and easy.. unless you want to go on with the floppy bits, thats fine by me..

Also, Creative drivers and softwares have been nightmare all day long.. I have heard issues between NF4 chips with the new X-Fi cards, but I cant be sure. Usually these are fixed thru BIOS revisions, but for the fun of it, you could just chuck the X-Fi out to see if it helps.. then only flash the BIOS.

I havent used a 7950GX2 personally, but have you checked whether the AN8 32X is in the Nvidia list? and the BIOS revision it requires to work properly?

All in all, I think a nice flash to the latest, or most stable BIOS.. which incidently can be referenced easily from the Abit USA forums... coupled WITH a fresh install should solve most of your problems.
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    I agree with sawyen. The bios should be on v1.2 at the very least.

I think v1.3 has been listed on our site as well. Also I recommend updating the bios using tried and tested method, a floppy disk in DOS. It much more reliable and safer.

Also make sure that the nforce drivers are upto date. I know you said that you have already updated them, but try the drivers direct from nvidia or from our FTP site as these are more upto date.

If all goes to plan you may not be required to reinstall windows, but it might be a good idea anyway.

ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/

Thread Information