Thread: best bang for buck

Thanks

best bang for buck

I've not kept my PC uptodae for awhile now, everything has moved so fast in 18 months. I still have my trusty Socket A system running strong. If I wanted to build a new system, keeping my 1 gig of DDR and maybe adding another 1 gig, what should I look at moving over too. What platform and what manufacturer? Should I go PCI-express?

The PC is for general use plus I'll be playing abit of CS, maybe some other games. Ideally I wouldn't want to spend over £200 for a new chip (cooler), mobo & graphics card. I'll be happy doing abit of overclocking - I just want to eak out as much performance for the amount.

Cheers.
    meh

Thanks
    If you want to keep using your DDR, probably go for an AMD 939 based system, as that still uses DDR and has good upgrade paths. The new AM2 system uses DDR2.

Or maybe a 775 based sysem.

Definately go PCI-express, if only because new cards are getting few and far between for AGP.

Thanks
    First off you may have to be careful what PSU you have ATM as it may not be poweful enough. But if it is:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket939 Retail (inc HSF) £68.14
    Foxconn NF4K8AC-RS-1.0 NF4 £36.74
    256Mb Leadtek 7600GT PCI-e £111.5

Thats probably the best bang per pound and its all from scan which means free next day delivery.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Thanks for advice guys, I have an antec 350watt PS that came with my SLQ I'll have a further read and see if it's up to the job. And&tech have a review on a dual core intel that they o/c'ed over 4 gig, is this worth a look?
    meh

Thanks
    The only thing pentiums are especially good for are video editing. Where as AMD are better all round and especially for gaming.

Pentiums also run very hot (as they are not very efficient).

If you were to overclock to 4GHz (thats assuming you are lucky enough to get a chip which can get to those speeds) then it would run very hot and would need after market coolering, or even water cooling.

Also your PSU is fine for the normal system but i would not be 100% with a pentium at 4Ghz!

Also do remember that the clock speeds of AMD and Pentiums are not comparable.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Ok buddy some good advice there, appear to be some good cheap bundles knocking about on the forums right now so I'll keep my eyes open !
    meh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pdug175
    And&tech have a review on a dual core intel that they o/c'ed over 4 gig, is this worth a look?
    The new conroe cpu's are capable of very impressive o/cing from what I've seen. You can only get your hands on the lowest and highest versions in the range atm, the rest are due for release sometime this month.

They are worth a look, but not at the price you're advertising. If you're just looking for the best system for the £200 mark then nvening has probably hit the nail on the head.

Thanks
    maybe give ebay a try for some cpu bargains. I know loads of people who are selling off their s939 systems to fund conroe upgrades

Thanks
    I've never been up on Intel, but tonight I noticed that the pentium D 915 looks like good value (ie scan today only @ £94). Am I on a good track or is it old hat? Looks to me like the 4Mb cache must be worth having at that price.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jnm21
    I've never been up on Intel, but tonight I noticed that the pentium D 915 looks like good value (ie scan today only @ £94). Am I on a good track or is it old hat? Looks to me like the 4Mb cache must be worth having at that price.
    I think the one your talking about is the old architecture (i.e non-Conroe) and pretty inefficient at that. Although it has 2 x 2Mb L2 cache, it is still crippled by a very small L1 cache.

Thanks
    You are probably right, but from what I read today, the 915 isn't totally without merit - can hit 4Ghz with the right mobo - unfortunately that seems to be a high end mobo (costing more than the CPU).

Thread Information