Thread: Upgrading A Socket 479 CPU?

Registered+
    Thanks

Upgrading A Socket 479 CPU?

Hi every1 ive just recently purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens L7300 laptop, it currentley has a Celeron M 1.5Ghz (Dothan) Socket 479 chip, which I am less than satisfied with its performance, heres is the problem I cannot seem to find any socket 479 CPUs? would a socket 478 fit?

I cannot also find any information regarding the motherboard of the laptop it just states its a Amilo L7300 and the chipsets are VIA PM880 Southbridge VT8235, so i am finding it very hard to find any info regarding the CPU upgraded compatability, Max CPU, Pentium M/Celoron M etc,

Any info from you guys would be much appriciated
    Last edited by fothsn; 30-07-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    They are SO expensive when you look at how much Core Duo chips are :-/

Pentium Ms have 478 pins, but one keying pin is different so they called it...socket 479...even though its...478...pins...

As to what you can wedge in that laptop, not sure, sorry. I have a lappy with the same CPU and haven't had any problems with the speed, but then I'm easy to please Well, sometimes.. Anyway its a hell of a lot better chip than your usual celery! Have you considered a faster HDD and/or some more RAM? That might be the bottleneck...
    Well Hello!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hey nvening thanks for the link and as daverobev said there way too expensive lol, i have done a bit more reaserch on my motherboard on the fujitsu forums which is all in german over there they have proved a 1.7 Pentium M 745 will fit into the socket and work with out a need of any bios updates, would i see a noticable diffrence in speed? bearing mind i do a lot of film encoding which i belive is very CPU intense?

Ive upgraded my lappy which has now got 2GB of Crucial memory (2X1gb) 100GB 5400rpm Hdd and my graphics card which is pritty poor in this machine lol a VIA/S3G Unicrome Pro IGP 64Mg(--- dosent run any games at all

Thanks Nigel.

Thread Information