Thread: Best 2gbs of DDR RAM

RDL
    Thanks

Best 2gbs of DDR RAM

Hi folks, looking to upgrade from my Corsair PC4400 1gb RAM to a 2gb set. Just bought an Opteron and want to maintain it's 3ghz clock, so need some good RAM! What is the best overclocking set out there?

I thought possibly something like this Teamgroup stuff, or maybe some Mushkin or something. Can anyone shed any light? Looking for something that can get me a high FSB as the Opty can run with a 300mhz FSB.

Ta,
    Ross.
    AMD 64 3500+ | Asus A32 SLi Deluxe | 2 x Corsair 512MB PC4400 Overclockers RAM| 1 x XFX 6800GT | Nexus Vantec Fan Controller | 1 x 74GB Western Digital Raptor )Boot + backup & 2x 200gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (RAID 0) | Plextor 716A Black 16 x16±,x4+ Dual Layer DVD | Tagan 480W | ThermalRight XP-120 with Delta Screamer | 2x120mm YS TECH| Black Akasa Eclipse 62 | L1980U 19" TFT 12ms 500:1 DVI Ultra Slim Black & Silver | Phillips 5.1 Surround Sound| Razer Diamondback Mouse | ExactMat mousemat | Black Cherry Keyboard | WinXP Pro

Thanks
    Try this mate

Ballistix were the best but they die pretty quick. Mushkin Redline are decent (mine get up to 275 - selling em btw )

Not many go to 300+ 1:1 I'm afraid
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

RDL
    Thanks
    Jees, that Ballistix fairly seems to be the best, but you said it isn't available anymore? (I'm still considering yours )
    AMD 64 3500+ | Asus A32 SLi Deluxe | 2 x Corsair 512MB PC4400 Overclockers RAM| 1 x XFX 6800GT | Nexus Vantec Fan Controller | 1 x 74GB Western Digital Raptor )Boot + backup & 2x 200gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (RAID 0) | Plextor 716A Black 16 x16±,x4+ Dual Layer DVD | Tagan 480W | ThermalRight XP-120 with Delta Screamer | 2x120mm YS TECH| Black Akasa Eclipse 62 | L1980U 19" TFT 12ms 500:1 DVI Ultra Slim Black & Silver | Phillips 5.1 Surround Sound| Razer Diamondback Mouse | ExactMat mousemat | Black Cherry Keyboard | WinXP Pro

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RDL
    Jees, that Ballistix fairly seems to be the best, but you said it isn't available anymore? (I'm still considering yours )
    Well they were basically getting great results for about a month or so and then they started dying...slowly.

I know because I had it with mine

I think they've released Ballistix again but I haven't heard anyone shouting about it. Check Crucial's site cause I think a lot of shops lost faith in them after having to return most of their stock (at a loss too)

Thanks
    aye, its easy enough to RMA memory, as its got lifetime warranty and you cant really void the warranty as theres no parts that u can open up. You can just say "it just suddenly stopped working" and they cant really do much else. With a graphics card say, u fit an aftermarket HSF on it and o'c it. If you kill it you cant do much, as the warranty is voided by taking the HSF off

Thanks
    I didn't even bother tbh

I got mine from Kustom and they said that all their sets were doing the same thing and they had had a HUGE amount of them back. Indeed they stopped selling Crucial after that.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Hi folks, looking to upgrade from my Corsair PC4400 1gb RAM to a 2gb set. Just bought an Opteron and want to maintain it's 3ghz clock, so need some good RAM! What is the best overclocking set out there?

I thought possibly something like this Teamgroup stuff, or maybe some Mushkin or something. Can anyone shed any light? Looking for something that can get me a high FSB as the Opty can run with a 300mhz FSB.

Ta,
    Ross.
    You know that you don't loose anything significant by using a mem divider with an opteron?

Thanks
    I've ran my Opty @ 255 x 11 1:1 3-3-2-8 on my Redline and it works a treat.

I've also ran it at 310 x 9 on a divider and the performance difference is pretty minimal as stated above. Having said that ruinning the RAM at 255 with decently tight timings meant that it gave a decent amount of bandwidth with good timings response

Thanks
    Stay away from Ballistix, seriously, theres a reason they stopped producing them and its not because of DDR2 like Crucial claim.

UKMuFFiN
    Try patriot

RDL
    Thanks
    Yeah I was looking at the Patriot stuff, the 1gb version gets a good write up in CPC, and the 2gb appears to be the same, so it might be ok. On tekheads it had an average write up though.

Yeah I know mem divider is fine, just was wanting to know what's the best 2gbs of RAM out there to get really.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Yeah I was looking at the Patriot stuff, the 1gb version gets a good write up in CPC, and the 2gb appears to be the same, so it might be ok. On tekheads it had an average write up though.

Yeah I know mem divider is fine, just was wanting to know what's the best 2gbs of RAM out there to get really.
    To be honest, anything with a lifetime warrenty.

If you also want it to be shiney then geil, g.skill, crucial, corsair, patriot etc. are all fine. They all come with lifetime warrenties, and are roughly increasing in cost in order I listed. I went for g.skill, but if I was buying again I'd go for corsair value select and spend the money saved on upping the gfx card

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    I'd go for ballisitx if you can find any(there was some in the forsale forum but I bought that ), otherwise any of the other the other big names will see you right.

EDIT: http://www.crucial.com/uk/ballistix/...listmodule.asp still selling it by the looks of it
    Last edited by chuckskull; 02-08-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Thread Information