Thread: Laptop CPU upgrade Query

Thanks

Laptop CPU upgrade Query

Hi, i have bought a COMPAQ v5110eu recently, it currently has a Mobile Sempron 3300+ in it, however it has a TDP of 65w and it gets quite hot and battery life runs low quite fast, i have done some research and concluded that a Mobile Sempron 3100+ (25w) version would increse battery life and reduce heat. However, im not too sure if my laptop supports this pocessor.
    or for that metter how to open up my v5000. I have found a panel above my keyboard. It does lift out, and i presume that i can remove the keyboard and then swap out the processor. I have searched the web to see if anyone else has removed the keyboard.
    Wonder if anyone could offer any suggestion.
    Cheers
    Matt

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media
    you might be able to find a teardown guide on the internet if it is a higher end model but otherwise you may have to just explore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks
    Only way to find out is to strip it down and make sure the CPU is socketed... As long as it is and is not surface mounted then I don't see a problem... Is the current CPU covered by an IHS ala the the normal desktop chips? Or has it got a tiny little core without a metal covering?

AFAIK the chips packaging is identical and thus the only real world difference apart from different ID strings possibly is the fact it will happily run at lower voltages...
    AMD X2 @ 2.6Ghz, X1800XL @ 540/600

Thanks
    Most frustrating, i have removed all the screws on the back, there are none other visable, even under the hard drive and ram cage. and still the back wont come off. it levers away allmost as if one screw is still holding it together. but i just cant get to it.
    normally you would removed the keyboard to replace a laptop CPU, but i dont seem to be able to do that *sigh*
    Matt

Thanks
    There is probably a screw hidden under either a sticker or a panel e.g. a panel covering the RAM slot(s).

Post a picture of the bottom of the laptop if your really stuck... I have looked at various laptops in the past so am fairly familiar with how to strip them down
    AMD X2 @ 2.6Ghz, X1800XL @ 540/600

Registered+
    Thanks
    Took my Thinkpad T41 apart last week to apply some Artic Silver to the heatsink, solved the overheat shutdown problem.

All I had to do was remove the keyboard and palmrest. Luckily IBM have a hardware service manual for every model detailing every screw and panel which needs to be removed to get to any part.

To remove the keybaord I had to take out about 5 screws from the underneath and then push it forward (towards the LCD) to clip it away from under the palm rest. Try moving the keyboard around once you are sure you have removed all the screws right screws.

Thread Information