I got my Pioneer 106 for £88 at my local high-street PC shop ..... and I don't mean a big chain. I checked the prices online, rang the local place, told then what I could get it for online and asked if what the best they could do is. It turned out to be £88.

Advantages ..... no shipping costs. And if it ever packs up, I can walk to this place in 10 minutes, slap it on the counter and probably get a replacement on the spot. No waiting in for couriers.

I went for the Pioneer because, as has been said, it'll burn onto almost anything. The NEC is a very good drive provided you're careful about your choice of blank discs. I've looked at several of the online bulk disk shops and a surprising number either warn of lack of compatibility with the NEC 1300 on SOME of their media, or list compatibility and include the Pioneer but don't mention the NEC.

Personally, I'd rather not worry about whether they're compatible or not every time I buy discs - but maybe that's just me being super-cautious. Anything for an easy time of it, that's me.

So, another Pioneer 106 vote here.