Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for best cordless keyboard+mouse for gaming

Thanks

Looking for best cordless keyboard+mouse for gaming

Hi all

I'm just putting together my new E6600 rig (lovely!) and once this is done I need a new keyboard and mouse to go with it.

I want a cordless set, it's got to be good for gaming and general use, ideally an excellent mouse and media controls on keyboard... and of course, no problems like those I've read with Logitech's diNovo and MX5000 BT sets (apparently they have terrible lag, slow to respond from standby).

I know that some people will say cordless is too laggy for gaming, but I use it for other things too and having had a cordless set, I would never go back to wires! I don't really mind if it's RF or Bluetooth, but I have heard problems with Bluetooth not working in DOS/BIOS...

If you've got one, please post what model and how happy you are with it. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks

DM

Thanks
    Ive never reccomended cordless for gaming at all but im sure they have improved massively since i last tried cordless in games. I think currently the best cordless gaming mouse is the Logitech G7, as far as keyboards go anything that is decent quality, I would reccomend the G15 gaming keyboard but its corded.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Personally I'd get a G15 and a MX1000. The G15 isn't cordless, but for gaming you're usually at your desk anyway. Get yourself a raptor gaming mouse-mat too. Lovely surface to play on, barely any resistance on mine at all.

Thanks
    Seconded on the raptor mouse mat.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    My MX1000 needs new feet now, but when I bought it, it would slide from one side of the mat to other with just a flick.

Thanks
    • Curly's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock 939-Sata 2
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 165 @ 2.52
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Geil Value Ram
      • Storage:
      • 900gb in various HD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7800 gtx
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580W
      • Case:
      • Globalwin
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung syncMaster 205BW
      • Internet:
      • 4mb Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull
    My MX1000 needs new feet now, but when I bought it, it would slide from one side of the mat to other with just a flick.

if you go to the logitech webby you can order some new mouse feet for free.

Curly

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly
    if you go to the logitech webby you can order some new mouse feet for free.

Curly
    Free! awesome. I'm off to that now then

Cheers mate,.

Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas so far guys - I am considering the MX1000, in fact I was eying up the MX5000 and the diNovo since they both come with it but the keyboards have problems.

That G15 - are you having fun with the LCD screen and profiles? Is it really any use?

I really would like a cordless keyboard though... I don't often take the keyboard away from the desk, but I do have a projector, so to be honest the 100" screen is big enough to see to play or work on from the sofa!

More ideas very welcome...! It's my 31st birthday this weekend and I want a good present!

DM

Thanks
    The MX5000 would be a good set. It's a shame they don't do the MX3100 anymore, I've got that set and it's excellent for games.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    I've tried a few differenet wireless keyboards and found them all to be just about useless for gaming

The problem with the ones I tried (an old Logitech, the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop and the expensive Gyration) is that they will only allow 1 to 2 simultaneous keypresses.

Once you go over this, they just ignore what keys your pressing and act as if the keyboard has gone dead until you release the keys and re-press a key.

Very annoying in a lot of games where 3 simultaneous key presses are required.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    Don't know what's wrong with the Di Novo's (got the Media Desktop 2.0, and it's awesome) - I say is - the keyboard itself just about died when I managed to pour an entire mug of coffee over it - but the only lag is when it's waking up - that's the same for any wireless component though. The media pad itself is a little sluggish connecting up and getting going, but that's not a concern of mine. As a gaming keyboard/mouse I can't fault it personally.

As keyboards and mice go for general usage (gaming, windows, photoshop, media, everything included), I'd have a DiNovo over anything else available.

That said, if you're set on the absolute best, I guess the MX1000 mouse would be a touch better - though I seriously doubt it's even noticable to all but the top FPSers.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I use a logitech G7, its awesome for gaming and i have had no problems with lag.
    Don't know what wireless keyboard to go for, i use a cheap logitech wireless one and have never had any problems with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav
    Don't know what's wrong with the Di Novo's (got the Media Desktop 2.0, and it's awesome) - I say is - the keyboard itself just about died when I managed to pour an entire mug of coffee over it - but the only lag is when it's waking up - that's the same for any wireless component though. The media pad itself is a little sluggish connecting up and getting going, but that's not a concern of mine. As a gaming keyboard/mouse I can't fault it personally.

As keyboards and mice go for general usage (gaming, windows, photoshop, media, everything included), I'd have a DiNovo over anything else available.
    Cheers Gav.

I googled the diNovo for reviews and found lots of complaints, mainly:

- can't use it outside of Windows, e.g. in BIOS
    - lags for ages when coming out of standby
    - sometimes doesn't wake up
    - many people said the keys repeat by themselves (i.e. like they are sticking down) at random times
    - Media Pad LCD isn't very configurable, bit of a novelty

It's shipping with the MX1000 mouse now and I like the look of it all, but a quick google will show you why I've been put off...

DM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis
    The problem with the ones I tried (an old Logitech, the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop and the expensive Gyration) is that they will only allow 1 to 2 simultaneous keypresses.

Once you go over this, they just ignore what keys your pressing and act as if the keyboard has gone dead until you release the keys and re-press a key.
    I've got a Logitech Cordless Optical set and never had this problem, very odd... that's going to stick with my old PC though which is why I need a new set now.

DM

Thanks
    I have 3 wireless mice: a Logitech MX510, a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2 and a cheap Chinese Logitech look-a-like I bought from maplin. The Logitech seems a bit too eager to go to sleep and thus lag, but once woken it's fine and the shape and button placement are the best of the 3. The MS has really poor thumb-button placement but has no discernable problems with lag at all. The 'soft' wheel tends to get dirty easily and the friction on mine has increased considerably, a soft wheel like this is also probably not good in applications/games where you want distinct clicks in the wheel movement. The Chinese knock-off came with a USB-powered AA recharger, which I find very useful to take along with my laptop when travelling. It's seen a lot of use and the wheel now has problems scrolling (possibly some dirt in the mechanism). Otherwise minimal problems with lag (probably because it doesn't have any power-save circuitry).

Of the 3 the only one with any lag problems at all is the Logitech, which is a pity, because it's the most comfortable to use. I've found little to no benefit from the laser optics in the MX510 compared to the other 2 (which are ordinary red leds). The MX1000 is actually rather old now, you might want to look at their newer models (and indeed other brands, MS has some redesigned wireless mice now that look like they've fixed the button placement problem). I've never owned a Logitech gaming mouse, so can't really comment on them apart from being unimpressed by the hype and the substantial cost premium, but then I don't play professional Counter-Strike .

(BTW, despite the supposed improvements Logitech have made with their power usage, the MS mouse still has noticeably better battery life.)
    Last edited by charleski; 23-08-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks
    The MX1000 is rather old? Do you know which are the newer models?

Ideally I want to get a matching cordless set

DM

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information