• PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 - 430W
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD
    if you really are gonna change the graphics card then its best to make the change over to am2 from 939, meaning that your gonna want a different mobo and some ddr2 memory but the only extra cost on this setup will be the ddr2 memory which will come in at around 130-140 for a good 2gb set

Thanks
    why is it best though? obviously Hyperen, if you havent got the funds to make the leap to AM2, you'll want to upgrade the components which will still be useful as much as you can for when you eventually make that jump, hence the reason for spending more money on the graphics card, as AM2 boards will still be using the PCI-E bus, when you've got the funds to do so.

A. Nother
    Thanks
    • mallett's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 800 DHX
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samy & 2x 250GB Hitatichi RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7600GT XXX
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 - 430W
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD
    well all im saying is that i might work out cheaper in the long run as Hyperen is looking to upgrade the mobo at this time to another 939 board but this has a limited upgrade route in the future so i was just making the suggestion that i would be better to get an am2 board and cpu which are pratically the same price as comparative 939 boards and cpus so that he wont have a new board now and then have to get another when does make the change which could save him over £100 later on
    yes he will have to spend more now because he will need some ddr2 memory but he could spread this cost out by getting just the 1 gig now and getting another later when he has more money, or could just stay at the gig depending on his needs

this is just my view on the situation that Hyperen is in and obviously he doesnt have to take my advise

sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant but im just trying to get my point accross, i may not have explained it properly earlier...
    mallett

Thanks
    Yeah thanks for clearing that up mallett, I'm thinking AM2 could be an option now since I'm not convinced my current RAM would be any good in a new system so I may just save and spend a little more, if the AM2 motherboards are similarly priced to the 939. Anyone have any recommendations for an AM2 motherboard that is good value but would let me overclock in the future should I decide to do that.

Also what was worrying me is that the fastest DDR2 memory is really expensive. Would I need to stick in the fastest kind of DDR2 or doesn't it matter that much if its a slower type?

A. Nother
    Thanks
    • mallett's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 800 DHX
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7600GT XXX
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 - 430W
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD
    i dont know a great deal about am2 mobos as iv never used one but im sure thers lots of ppl on here that can give you good advise on this

as for the ram, it depends. if your still planning on ocing a massive amount then you could go for the top spec stuff, but iv seen some good results for ocing some value select memory to some very good speeds and timmings
    afaik the corsair VS 667 can overclock to 800 easy with some very tight timmings (at least 4 4 4 12 if i havent destoried my memory), however i cant remember where i saw this.... sorry
    as for price, for a gig your looking at 50-60 depending where you look which is quite pricy but it depends if its a price your willing to pay.......

Thanks
    I think I got it wrong, the fastest I would need is 800 which is PC2-6400. Am I right this time?

I was looking at PC2-8000. I wouldn't need PC2-8000 would I?

A. Nother
    Thanks
    • mallett's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 800 DHX
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7600GT XXX
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 - 430W
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD
    no, the min you can use is PC4200 which is at 533mhz but id suggest PC5400 running at 667 if you can affort it not a massive point in going higher

Thanks
    sorry for sounding like i was biting your head off there mallett.

hyperen, as mallett has already said, it would be worth it to continue saving until you can afford an upgrade path which gives AM2, instead of investing money in obsolete technology.

Thanks
    With the cost of new memory among other things, I'm thinking of just saying bugger it and saving for a E6300 Core 2 Duo.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard thats not too expensive and allows for overclocking if I choose to, I also had a look and a lot only have 1 IDE connector, anyone know of any that have 2?

Also, the RAM I need would be PC-5300 667 DDR2 wouldn't it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperen
    Can anyone recommend a motherboard thats not too expensive
    ASRock ConroeXfire

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperen
    I also had a look and a lot only have 1 IDE connector, anyone know of any that have 2?
    All boards based around Core 2 Duo and AM2 sockets only have 1 IDE channel, supporting max. 2 IDE devices. (afaik)

Also, the RAM I need would be PC-5300 667 DDR2 wouldn't it?
    Anything above PC5400 will be fit for purpose. I'd go for 6400 but thats personal preference

A. Nother
    Thanks
    • mallett's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 800 DHX
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7600GT XXX
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 - 430W
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD
    something to remember tho, that board will only go upto pc5400 memory, wont support anything higher

also with the ide connection you dont want to put both a dvd drive and a hard drive together as it will slow them both down stupid amounts so you will want either a sata hd or dvd drive, if you already have a good hd ide drive then it would be cheapest to get a sata dvd drive, with the only one i know being this samsung one

wow looks like this little upgrade keeps getting more and more expencive and complex , sorry....

Thanks
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=450650
    http://msicomputer.co.uk/Products.as...3733&cat_id=77

Is this one suitable? I know its expensive but it does 2 IDE connectors (I have a 250GB PATA Drive that I use as my main one for windows and programs and I wouldn't want to not be able to use it, I wouldn't mind losing my 60GB ATA100 though, its getting old and anyway I got a new 320GB SATA for storing "stuff")

Ah yes the cost does seem to be increasing but I think I'm getting a £100 bonus in September.

edit: that ASRock ConroeXfire with a SATA DVD Drive is a cheaper route, does the motherboard I linked to have any advantages other that to warrant the extra cost?

edit 2: lol didn't know a DVD Drive and a hard disk together would slow things down - The guy who put together my current PC said there would be a disadvatage of not doing that and the only reason he didn't is because my old case wouldn't allow the cabling for that to work - Good thing I'll be doing this work myself
    Last edited by Hyperen; 01-09-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mallett
    that board will only go upto pc5400 memory, wont support anything higher
    the memory will be supported, the MHz spec is what the memory is guaranteed to run at, it can be underclocked quite happily

tbh Hyperen, IDE is a dying breed, i think theres maybe 4 or 5 SATA DVD-RW's on the market now, a samsung one, a plextor one and a couple of others i think. To keep things on budget, id opt for the Asrock board, but thats just personal preference. You dont want to spend over a hundred quid on a motherboard, then skimp on the graphics card. a nice rounded machine is always best Core 2 Duo is a massive leap forward from your current cpu, so overclocking shouldn't come that high on your list of priorities. Getting the basic foothold onto the 775 C2D platform should be the main objective, along with a decent graphics card and 2 gigs of memory.

Thanks
    Do you need drivers to get a SATA DVD-RW Drive to work? - That's my concern with installing windows.

Also would I get much benefit over a x1800GTO or XT by getting this. Bear in mind I don't need a massive FPS for the sake of it, just something that looks nice while also playable, and that this is already costing a lot more than I had hoped and this x1900XT is 80 pounds (cant use pound sign - gone back to learning Colemak keyboard layout) over the x1800GTO I was going to get.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113153

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information