Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 20

Thread: help

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    notts near mansfeild
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    help

    heyup guys i need help i got a third hd to connect to my comp


    .................
    but

    i dont know how to do so

    can some1 tell me how plz


  2. #2
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,838
    Thanks
    645
    Thanked
    871 times in 735 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    You just need to connect a power cable from the PSU to the drive and a data cable between the drive and the motherboard.

    Obviously, you need a SATA cable or a ATAPI cable depending on what type of drive it is and connect it to the relevant connector.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Lenovo Flex 2 / 12GB RAM / 240GB Corsair Force 3 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: HTC One U11 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM12.1 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Here you go m8ty http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/ just follow the step by step guide, pretty easy to follow in my opinon


    Regards.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    notts near mansfeild
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    i meen a third hd
    iv got two already

    but the problem is on the cable connected to my hds iv got there is only 2 addaptors

    1 for my 40gb and 1 for my 20gb

    so now i want to add my third hd but how ??

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    notts near mansfeild
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fothsn
    Here you go m8ty http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/ just follow the step by step guide, pretty easy to follow in my opinon


    Regards.
    ty anyway but that talks about adding a second hd or replacing lol

  6. #6
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,194
    Thanks
    1,520
    Thanked
    2,932 times in 2,375 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by bad boy
    i meen a third hd
    iv got two already

    but the problem is on the cable connected to my hds iv got there is only 2 addaptors

    1 for my 40gb and 1 for my 20gb

    so now i want to add my third hd but how ??
    Add another cable - there should be one going to your optical drive with a spare adaptor on it. If you've got 2 optical drives then I'm afraid you're stuffed as far as a simple IDE drive is concerned, you will have to use a SATA drive if you've got sockets for them, or use either a sata or IDE expansion card (PCI).

  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    @ bad boy if you read the guide, he is putting a second HDD in and transfering his data from his main HDD to his new HDD, so just ignore the norton transfering,

    Heres direct links,

    Step 1 http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/add_..._drive_2.shtml

    Step 2 http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/jumper_pins.shtml

    Step 3 http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/add_..._drive_4.shtml

    Step 4 http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/add_..._drive_5.shtml


    And its installed Hope this helps.

    Regards.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    notts near mansfeild
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fothsn
    @ bad boy if you read the guide, he is putting a second HDD in and transfering his data from his main HDD to his new HDD, so just ignore the norton transfering,

    Heres direct links,

    Step 1 http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/add_..._drive_2.shtml

    Step 2 http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/jumper_pins.shtml

    Step 3 http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/add_..._drive_4.shtml

    Step 4 http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/add_..._drive_5.shtml


    And its installed Hope this helps.

    Regards.
    its all gd showing me how to install a second hd but iv already done so ages ago

    its a third 1 iam wanting to do

  9. #9
    HEXUS.social member Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19,158
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    1,604 times in 1,043 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bad boy
    its all gd showing me how to install a second hd but iv already done so ages ago

    its a third 1 iam wanting to do
    kalniel has clearly explained it above
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    notts near mansfeild
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel
    Add another cable - there should be one going to your optical drive with a spare adaptor on it. If you've got 2 optical drives then I'm afraid you're stuffed as far as a simple IDE drive is concerned, you will have to use a SATA drive if you've got sockets for them, or use either a sata or IDE expansion card (PCI).

    ok and wats wat m8

    the only slots iv got are as follows

    1 the orriganal hd slot

    2 the cd and dvd writer slot

    3 my floppy slot

    which 1 do u meen to conect my third hd to 1 2 or 3 ?

    and is it possible to connect a hd up to a cd or dvd writer cable ? as if it is a slave ??

  11. #11
    Vrt
    Vrt is offline
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bad boy
    and is it possible to connect a hd up to a cd or dvd writer cable ? as if it is a slave ??
    Yeah it is

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    just get a cable (hard drive cable) thats got more adapters on it and there you go, i got one which u can put 5 drives on or something, its like the length of the wall of china though

  13. #13
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEE! MadduckUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lytham St. Annes
    Posts
    17,293
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked
    1,580 times in 1,006 posts
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD 860K @4.45
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (4x4GB) PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Sandisk Extreme / 3x500GB RAID0 / 3GB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 7870XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Galdiator 600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan
    Quote Originally Posted by harry1
    i got one which u can put 5 drives on or something, its like the length of the wall of china though
    what????
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    i have a ide cable, which is v long and has lots of connections on it?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    notts near mansfeild
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    ok ty guys iv managed to do it by putting it on my dvd drive cable
    ty to all that helped

    not heard of a longer ide cable with more connections on but ill check it out at my local comp shop and find out ill let u know

    after all it wud be so much easyier to have 1 of them rather than sacrifice ur cd drive

    even tho im not botheredbout my cd drive as long as iv got my dvd writerim not bothred lol

  16. #16
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    14 times in 14 posts
    • cougarslam's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Formula SE (ROG)
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Nvidia 8800GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Zorro
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Business 32
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x 17" crt
      • Internet:
      • adsl max (entanet)
    isnt there only 2 ide channels per socket so you could not have more than 2 devices connected to 1 ide socket.

    how are you using a long cable with more than 2 devices? does it use more than 1 socket or something.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •