Thread: Win2k boot problems

Thanks

Win2k boot problems

Right, had a functioning windows install for a good three years, recently it's been stumbling on boot - it gets to the splash screen, but then the blue loading bar gets about 75% before it stalls.

Now, previously, I've been able to get into safe mode, and chkdsk /F has fixed it (done this four or five times in the last six weeks) and everything's been OK, however, now, although I can still get into safe mode, chkdsk /F leads to the same 75% stall at the splash screen.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

James.

Thanks
    How long have you left before deciding that it has indeed stalled? The reason I ask is because I have had similar problems with Win2K Pro (I've since changed to XP Pro) but I found that leaving the OS 'stalling' for a long time (like over an hour or so) eventually led to a boot up. Then subsequent boots worked ok. The cause was down to a corrupted device driver for a router.

And if you were to unplug all peripherals, will it still 'stall'?

The fact that you can boot to Safe Mode sincerely suggests a corrupt device driver.

Thanks
    A good twenty minutes or so I've left it - I'll try an hour if all else fails.

Just come across another symptom - safe mode with networking stalls too, so going to grab some new drivers for networking bits.

I'll keep you posted - thanks for those ideas!

Thanks
    hmm, interesting about the networking. Have you specifies IP addresses in your network configuration as opposed to having 'Automatically detect settings' checked. It could be that your system is waiting for communication from an IP address on the network that is just not responding and so causing the hang (is there a system on the network that is off while you are booting? try turning all computers on the network on or off before booting). Do you also have the 'Log on using dial up connection' unchecked (visible on the logon passwrod window during boot)?

There could be a few things causing this, but the more you say, the more it points to network issues (hardware or software). You could also try simply disconnecting your LAN card before powering up, or disable it in BIOS (if its onboard).

Thanks
    Just another thought, have you tried booting from the Safe mode start up options list with Boot Logging enabled? It writes a log during boot up to a file called ntbtlog.txt in the main windows directory which should show what exactly is stalling. You could access that in safge mode after a stalled boot for instance.

Thanks
    Hmm, the networking thing is an interesting possibility, and I'll certainly try turning off the onboard NIC in BIOS, but I doubt it'll do anything. Yes, it automatically gets an IP - from a netgear router as DHCP server, but no, the logon via dialup box is unchecked. However, two other computers are starting up and getting IP addresses fine (should probably have mentioned this, sorry) - equally, I'm not certain lack of response from DHCP could cause Windows to stall so massively.

Currently giving it an hour - reinstalled motherboard and gfx drivers and still stuck at 75%, if nothing happens I'll give the BIOS disable a go, try chkdsk /f once more and then I think the only thing left is a reinstall (thankfully can backup to DVD from safe mode!).

That is, unless you've any other ideas?

Thanks again,

James.

Thanks
    • madman045's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • I7-3820
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • Not enough!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD7970
      • PSU:
      • 850w Corsair
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM & 2007WFP
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet FTTC - 30mbit/7mbit
    Ive had this problem recently, but i caused it by plugging in a failed hard disk, windows failed to boot normally, safe mode worked, but safe mode with networking caused it to reboot on loading.

It may be an early indicator that your drive might have issues and now would be a good time to backup anything on it.

Thanks
    • Curly's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock 939-Sata 2
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 165 @ 2.52
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Geil Value Ram
      • Storage:
      • 900gb in various HD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7800 gtx
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580W
      • Case:
      • Globalwin
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung syncMaster 205BW
      • Internet:
      • 4mb Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Byatt View Post
    Now, previously, I've been able to get into safe mode, and chkdsk /F has fixed it (done this four or five times in the last six weeks) and everything's been OK, however, now, although I can still get into safe mode, chkdsk /F leads to the same 75% stall at the splash screen.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

James.
    Surely the answer is a failing/corrupt hd.

Curly

Thanks
    Either way, it matters not, fresh XP install until I build new PC in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all the help guys

Thread Information