Thread: Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 CAS4 Problem Anyone?

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 CAS4 Problem Anyone?

Im looking to give the DS3 board a try, but ive seen a few reports of it not booting with CAS4 ram. Unfortunately, i have some OCZ 6400 XTC platinum, which is CAS4. Has anyone succesfully used this ram with this board?

also, does the current revision come with the heatsink on the southbridge?

ta.

Thanks
    ok, i have found out that if you have cas4 ram and the ds3 wont boot. you can work round it by using a different stick of ram and upping the voltage to whatever it should be and then powering down and fitting the cas4 stuff back in...sounds like a right ballache

Thanks
    Bit late but i just come across this topic/thread, anyway i just got one of these motherboards and some Corsair 5400C4, i'm no expert, just enthusiastic, hehe!!, anyway i built the rig tuesday afternoon (e6600+ds3+2gb 5400c4), yep slapped it all together switched on rig and was good to go, no problems what so ever (wayhay, that's a first for me, thanks scan uk for no rma) nipped into bios to set the ram @ 4.4.4.12, was default at 5.5.5. something this is on the F3 bios which was factory shipped that way, so i nipped over to gigabyte site, downloaded F5 bios, copied to floppy, flashed to F5, no problems, it's great all is well at the mo, just need to read manual and understand/workout what everything else is and how i should set it up to get max performance.

You got it sorted then? was it an earlier bios F1, F2?.

Thanks
    there was a new bios to sort out the memory problems aparently, but that was after mine died, taking an x1900xt with it (or maybe the other way round), either way, it was possibly THE worst board i have ever used. good luck with yours mate

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps
    Well I can't complain ran first time for me ...and holds my 6600 stable at 3.2Ghz...not bad for a cheapo board.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    there was a new bios to sort out the memory problems aparently, but that was after mine died, taking an x1900xt with it (or maybe the other way round), either way, it was possibly THE worst board i have ever used. good luck with yours mate
    The first time i powered up the ds3 the cpu fan, case fans gfx card fan came to life then everything powered off for a few of seconds, which i thought was odd because i have never had that happen before. Anyway it's getting worse, the board clinks and i have noticed the vga 6 pin pci-express socket on my x1800xt graphics card lights up red, that's not good, i don't trust the ds3, there is no way it's gonna take out my graphics card. I bet you were mad when your x1900xt was a gonna. This board is going back, what would you recommend motherboard wise?.

Thanks
    p5b deluxe perhaps? not perfect, but its stable and its not killed anything yet. you will find though, that all the 965 boards do the power cycling thing. if you got your board from overclockers, youll probably have your refund just in time for the DFI RD600 board in late october

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    p5b deluxe perhaps? not perfect, but its stable and its not killed anything yet. you will find though, that all the 965 boards do the power cycling thing. if you got your board from overclockers, youll probably have your refund just in time for the DFI RD600 board in late october
    Arrr!! i see, the power cycle thing is normal. I got the board from scan, just last week. Do the p5b dlx support conroe out of the box so to speak? or will i have to flash bios to support?.

thanks

Thanks
    should all support conroe out of the box now, mine did

one thing i would say is if you do get a p5b, before you even run it, take the northbridge heatsink off and check its making contact because it probably wont be, either bend it straight and reapply some arctic silver, or use a different heatsink. at first i had a thermalright hr05 on it and it worked well, but now ive managed to get a waterblock on it.

Thanks
    • magneticman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3x2gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB F1 + 2TB F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750W
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V2110
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    although slightly OT, I think the DS3 is better value for money personally,

with a few tweaks you can get to 3ghz very easily on the E6300, the highest i can get with my current HSF is 465mhz fsb, = 3.25ghz (i think), coupled with a 7950 GX2 (also OC'd), I get 9,500 points on 3DMark06...

Thanks
    I think the DS3 is an ok board, yeah good value really with it's solid capacitors an all that, but still i think £100+ is a lot of money, i have packed my ds3 away, every time i boot up or restart i hear a loud sound and flashing red light, it's deffo faulty, there's no way a motherboard should be like that and i'm reluctant to get another ds3. I'm not 100% sure but i think this board needs more power in it. Probably my mobo is from a bad batch?, i mean look at clunk's experience he lost a x1900 gfx card in his ds3, chuffin ell, i can't afford to take that risk, i'm skint now. Hopefully scan will refund me or give me credit.

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    I have CAS 4 RAM and a DS3, not only will it boot in any BIOS at CAS 4 but at the default 1.8v as well. Not had any complaints with the board and RAM. I did however have a issues with the graphics card and the board. It would blue screen randomly once in a blue moon with graphics problems as the cause. The new F5 bios however apparently fixes any issues (no BSOD so far and been 2 weeks). One other problem i have with the board is that I struggle for any sort of overclock, annoying as all the reviews and response ive seen is that its awsome. Most ive had 'stable' is about 3.2Ghz, on deafault voltage. By 'stable' i mean is that it will be on for days, encoding, playing games all sorts, but as soon as it reboots it'll blackscreen and need a BIOS reset. Even 2.6Ghz causes this problem, a few people have told me its all because it has 4mb of cache and the board just dosenlt like these chips. Whatever it is it annoys the hell out of me, and i plan on a new motherboard at christmas fingers crossed.

PS I had another issue that was fixed with a newer BIOS release in that when i had RAID running the DVD drives would only run in PIO mode, which is pianful.
    Last edited by spazman; 15-09-2006 at 12:27 AM.
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    Yeah my C4 ram and all the other pc parts worked no problem on F3 bios F4 and F5, but something strange happened with my graphics card in the DS3 though on all the F bios. Anyway i have dumped the conroe e6600 back in it's box and back to AMD for the time being.

Thread Information