Thread: LOTS OF QUESTIONS!and What To Get:S AM2 or 939?Wht Card.What Board?

Thanks

Exclamation LOTS OF QUESTIONS!and What To Get:S AM2 or 939?Wht Card.What Board?

well basically i dont have a clue what to do know.my 754 setup will be sold i guess.prolly get 60quid in total if i'm lucky (was 90 thanks for a dodgy setup that is still way to unstable and hot at any voltage and it can't be broken otherwise i wouldn't be typing this now...so thanks slinger and no i didn't overclock...)
    so anyway what do i do?i could maybe get 400 but i dont really want to be spending that kind of cash if its not gonna last.yeah i could kind of keep running this dodgy combo but i want a new gfx setup and i dont know if its my mobo or the cpu or both being dodgy... and apparently its too slow for a sli rig?2.4ghz A3400 512cache socket 754 with a Asus K8V deluxe.i probably would like to get another card for sli (if thats what i should go for ?) at christmas or maybe november.but for the time being a want a tasty gaming rig that will run things like just cause nicely and fear.yeah i can run fear on my 9800pro but i want to really experience it you know...on a budget but yeah.and AM2 whats that all about whats the pros and cons and is it really worth it and will i need new ram which i think i would?if so then im not messing around with that.dual core would be nice but is it really worth it? wont a faster single core wipe it for gaming with say downloads in the background or is their a real noticable difference?Oh and Whats pci-e 8x or 16 isn't it just 2 8x cards=16x or is their 2 16x slots now or what?and what card has what and what should i get:S
    I'm just so comfused to what I should do...

So really i guess... is it worth getting/risking new 754 SLi board or just a single PCI-E board and running say a nice 7900GS and using my 2 512 GeIL value ram kit and loosing the other 512 stick... or? AM2/939 and why and can i use ddr? pro/con's on both.what motherboard and why and its pro/con's and what gfx card and should i buy a ati over a nvidia and not go for sli and save money not going sli or crossfire and lower my motherboard costs? and if so what are the benifits/problems i mean in january sales will it really be worth another say 7900 yeah i'd have 2 but i bet there will be a more owning card thats better than the twin 7900's and probably not much more than another 7900...
    sorry for all the questions i just feel cheated and really comfused to what to do... cause i game.i download.i do bit of photoshop and vid editing sometimes.i did all this on a 2800barton with 512mb ram then 1.5gb and it was fine and its single core so???? is it all really worth it?will i see a huge difference with say a 3800 dual core and a 7900gs on my dell dh1226h monitor.
    again i really do appologise i just need some varied opinions and pro's and con's of all my ideas or the followed suggestions cause i don't want to get stitched up again.
    cheers for any help and suggestions you guys give.oh and UK and I DONT mind if its second hand... infact would work out alot better aslong as it works properly this time so links and reviews from your experience and from sites would also help.
    THANKS!
    Last edited by keef247; 23-09-2006 at 11:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb
    Holy crap...

So erm, first thing's first - what's your current setup, and how much do you have to spend?

Thanks
    2 512 GeIL value ram + 1 corsair xms3200pro. asus k8v deluxe.a64 3400 2.4ghz.HIS excalibur 9800pro.
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    you can't use DDR on any recent boards - AM2 requires DDR2, as does Intel's offering

and on that front, Intel's Core 2 Duo is better than AMD64 in most scenarios

Thanks
    Hmm, you could sell the 9800pro for 30quid, and get a 7800GS.

Id go 939, no point in going AM2 IMO. Conroe might be a little to expensive, and im not impressed with the boards out at the mo.

Thanks
    directhex mate you can do ddr on conroe with this board that has one pci-e and one agp and 2ddr channels and 2 ddr2 channels it was reviewed many times.but anyway it runs as fast as ddr2 666 because thats so laggy.but either way its not as pratical... so what 939 board then?and do i want a 7800 or a 7900 and which one? and what cpu?

Thanks
    anyone!

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    939 board reviews have been around for quite some time, so it shouldnt be too difficult googling out for one..

but as a general consensus, an ASUS or ABIT board using NF4 SLI, NF4 Ultra..

CPU, that you need to decide for yourself really. low end X2 for best bang for the buck, or a high end single core A64 thats dirt cheap now..

Its not really that difficult researching on your own sometimes on common opinions like these.

Not that I'm being anal or anything.. most of your questions has been asked and answered a long time ago.. a 'search' on the forum will return you loads..
    Me want Ultrabook

Banned
    Thanks
    as said above these are the FAQ of last year lol.

but for board asus an8- premium
    cpu.. x2 3800 or a 3700

Thread Information