Thread: Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 60gb (Vista?)

Thanks

Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 60gb (Vista?)

Well this players about 4 years old now and I've never had problems with it on XP Home with the drivers or mediasource (Creative's software).

The headphone jack is 70% broken and I have to hold it in certain positions for it to work. So I have decided to back up all my music and a few others files as "data" rather than the "music" side, so the device effectively is working as a portable hard-drive (at least on this sytem, effectively plug and play with "Nomad Explorer").

I have been having many problems with this XP machine (the monitor is on it's last legs) but a new Vista system should be arriving soon, and I want to transfer this 27GB of music and 700MB of general data as painlessly and as cheaply as possible.

I have heard Creative devices made before Vista are notoriously bad when it comes to their reliability and functionality with Vista itself. Creative don't seem to want to support discontinued products in any shape or form, as we have seen with soundcards...

Has anyone had any experiences with getting this player to work with Vista? I just want to use it as a tempory portable hard-drive to move the files from one PC to another. I am not quite so bothered about using it as an MP3 player on the Vista machine.

My alternatives are buying a 80Gig Portable HD off Amazon.co.uk for £30, or using a 2GB memory stick (plug and play, no software) and breaking up the 28Gigs or so of data into 2GB amounts (would take about 14 trips)...

Basically is it a waste of time trying to get the Zen Xtra to work with Vista? Or will it plug and play? Should I just save myself the trouble and use the memory stick or buy that portable HD?

Thanks!

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Re: Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 60gb (Vista?)

You'll probably find it easier to use an ethernet patch cable and drag and drop the data rather than using the Zen.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

Re: Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 60gb (Vista?)

Thanks for the reply I will look into that. I don't want any old creative stuff on the new PC, already had that trouble upgrading from ME to XP...

Creative clearly don't like supporting or allowing older products to work!

Thread Information