Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a CPU Cooler

Alistair

Recommend a CPU Cooler

Currently have my 6300 conroe with a zalman CNPS8000 low profile cooler @ stock. However, my temps are very poor (47oC). I have reset the cooler & re-applied AS5. Having just been to zalman's website, my cooler isn't on the recommended list for core2duo.

Its in a Antec Fusion HTPC case so being in the lounge looking for something quiet.

Any ideas?

BTW Motherboard is an ASUS P5B-VM matx

Thanks
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or if you want to splash out a bit higher the Scythe Ninja.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Listy2021 View Post
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or if you want to splash out a bit higher the Scythe Ninja.
    Im pretty sure that either of those wont fit in an htpc case.

Im having the same trouble, i bought a scyth mine, but it was too tall for my htpc case, so im trying the thermalright si-128, its 92mm tall without a fan, so 117 with a fan, it should hopefully be ok, and hang over the surrounding ram/mosfets and give them a cool as well.

edit: looking at it, the freezer is 120mm tall, so might fit. youll have to get the tape measure out

Thanks
    Infinity look what it did for me

check temps , onload

Idle

Man I was biting my nails every second it went through prime , in the end it was stable .

How it all started ,Click link

http://www.day187.f2s.com/phpBB2/vie....php?p=120#120

It will slowly come together in the end. A380 has this huge 250mm fans , two of them

Its a L623 cpu and people have not had much luck with that week but I did.

Temps are a wee bit exaggerated , I am using a P5w64- ws bought from lovely retailer scan and this is the only board I know that tells you the same temp as core temp , I have to say this though after overclocking a few cpu's you see things and experience thins that make you go that extra mile.

I remember when at first I used to overclock I always had to clear the Cmos but this overclock I have not had to clear cmos one time.

The reason for this is you stay within your limits and don't try too much hero stuff.

The freezer pro 7 is good , I have gone through about 6 of them and 2 freezer 64 , good performance for money but if you want the extra mile then go for the infinity. Its the same principle as the freezer pro but better , it has more fins and more pipes.

Thanks
    94c? thats not a good advert for a cooler

the infinity is too tall for his case anyway

Alistair
    Will measure up tonight & see if this fits
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Im pretty sure that either of those wont fit in an htpc case.

Im having the same trouble, i bought a scyth mine, but it was too tall for my htpc case, so im trying the thermalright si-128, its 92mm tall without a fan, so 117 with a fan, it should hopefully be ok, and hang over the surrounding ram/mosfets and give them a cool as well.

edit: looking at it, the freezer is 120mm tall, so might fit. youll have to get the tape measure out

Thanks
    94c? thats not a good advert for a cooler

the infinity is too tall for his case anyway
    You think he has problems,I cant close my case by 1cm , I am going to make some extensions today so it closes.

The 250 mm fan covering hits the end of the heat pipes on the infinity. The temps are not real . if you touch the back when it was testing an the board it was on 37c , at the mo I am running it at 3420MHZ 24/7 and it shows it being 51c idle and 60c load -20c for real temps.(this is core temps)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nope View Post
    You think he has problems,I cant close my case by 1cm , I am going to make some extensions today so it closes.

The 250 mm fan covering hits the end of the heat pipes on the infinity. The temps are not real . if you touch the back when it was testing an the board it was on 37c , at the mo I am running it at 3420MHZ 24/7 and it shows it being 51c idle and 60c load -20c for real temps.(this is core temps)
    so is your motherboard faulty then? my p5b reports them as higher than they should be, but i would be worried about 94c!

Alistair
    having been reading elsewhere that some folks are using a SI 120 fanless - don't know if I'd risk that. But the SI 120 & a 25mm fan will fit in the fusion. The only difference I can see is that the 128 is slightly longer than the 120?

Will try & source one of these & give it a try

Thanks
    i had an si-120 on an a64 system and it would run passive for a while and then slowly start to heat up, i bottled it each time and put a fan on it. The si-128 is definately heftier, the pipes are much thicker, the fins look twice as deep and more of them and its just generally sturdier.

Thanks
    • Areku's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3.00Hz + Xigmatek HDT-S1283
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 6400 5-5-5-15
      • Storage:
      • Seagates -160GB IDE, 500GB SATA, 750GB SATA / Maxtor 250GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC 320MB
      • PSU:
      • HX520W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E435s & LG 22" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by nope View Post
    Infinity look what it did for me

check temps , onload

Man I was biting my nails every second it went through prime , in the end it was stable .

How it all started ,Click link

http://www.day187.f2s.com/phpBB2/vie....php?p=120#120

It will slowly come together in the end. A380 has this huge 250mm fans , two of them

Its a L623 cpu and people have not had much luck with that week but I did.

Temps are a wee bit exaggerated , I am using a P5w64- ws bought from lovely retailer scan and this is the only board I know that tells you the same temp as core temp , I have to say this though after overclocking a few cpu's you see things and experience thins that make you go that extra mile.

I remember when at first I used to overclock I always had to clear the Cmos but this overclock I have not had to clear cmos one time.

The reason for this is you stay within your limits and don't try too much hero stuff.

The freezer pro 7 is good , I have gone through about 6 of them and 2 freezer 64 , good performance for money but if you want the extra mile then go for the infinity. Its the same principle as the freezer pro but better , it has more fins and more pipes.
    Press the "print screen" button and save the file. Then upload it to somewhere like image bucket. sorted.

Alistair
    have pre-ordered a si128 from the cooling shop & a 7v NMB-MAT RB-4710KL (panaflo) from www.dorothybradbury.co.uk
    Last edited by Alistair; 28-09-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Alistair
    OK, so got SI 128 from Chillblast in the end - thanks Clunk.

My temps are actually slightly worse - 50oC. Have reset the heatsink & tries the panaflo in both directions

Beginnning to think the motherboard is reporting them incorrectly. Anyone else got a P5B-VM with similar issues?

Thanks
    The temps are cool now , I am running it at 3.55ghz and the temps on the cpu is 50c(core temp)

also the system temp is the best its 29c ,amazing huh?

http://overclock247.com/index.php?board=22.0

this is the new place now and hopefully will be doing more reviews this week.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    OK, so got SI 128 from Chillblast in the end - thanks Clunk.

My temps are actually slightly worse - 50oC. Have reset the heatsink & tries the panaflo in both directions

Beginnning to think the motherboard is reporting them incorrectly. Anyone else got a P5B-VM with similar issues?

is that your idle or load temps? i have fitted mine and left it priming overnight and under load it is 47-50c and idle it was 39-40c, that was with the lid off, not tried it with the lid on yet.

If those are your idle temps, i would guess that you havent got good enough airflow into the case, and more importantly to the heatsink.

Alistair
    The BIOS reported 50oC . However when I installed speedfan & set both cores priming the temp never went above 46oC (oh, this is on stock setttings). I had to remove one of the 120mm Antec fans from the case because the metal clips on the fan on the heatsink were in the way. Maybe the panaflo is just too slow. I may try the other antec tricooled fan on the heatsink.

is that your idle or load temps? i have fitted mine and left it priming overnight and under load it is 47-50c and idle it was 39-40c, that was with the lid off, not tried it with the lid on yet.

If those are your idle temps, i would guess that you havent got good enough airflow into the case, and more importantly to the heatsink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information