Thread: Just another typical spec check thread :D

Thanks

Smile Just another typical spec check thread :D

Hi all

Just wanted to check if this spec is fine its just temp rig for my family until I can muster enough money to get a full *Microsoft Next-gen Windows gaming rig * for me I'm buying a Dell XPS 600 and XPS M1710 to get me over till a good DX10 Card comes out and vista with it

I'm upgrading my old PC (which is 6yrs old and can play Fear on med and high settings ) and also buy a Dell XPS 600 and Dell XPS M1710 Laptop

The Dell XPS 600 and the laptop are already configured by dell and I've chosen the max settings

The list is from Aria.co.uk
    Here are the upgrading bit:
    Motherboard:

Foxconn 6150K8MA-8KRS Socket 939 = MB9-F-6150K8MA
    = £39.97

Processor:
    AMD Athlon 64 3800 Venice retail = CPUADA3800BPBOX
    = £65.95

Ram:
    Kingston 2GB Kit (2x1GB) PC3200 DDR = MEM-KI1-2-400-2
    = £119.95

Graphics card:
    POV Nvidia 7600GS-512Mb PCI-E = GCX-POV-7605GS
    = £82.95

PSU:
    Tagan 600W ATX 2.0 Power Supply
    = £80

Case:
    4in1 MIDI Tower,KB,Msem Spkr = CSE-MID-2720-BLK
    = £28.95

Mouse:
    Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse = MSE-LOG-MX518
    = £27.15

Is this any good I've just got £450 left over for upgrading the PC (its for my family lol my brothers play games so I thought I'll upgrade it for them)after spending nearly £7000 on the Dell PC and laptop

Some of the other stuff from the old PC are usable

Any help very appreciated
    Last edited by Firewarrior; 09-10-2006 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    I don't understand why you're going for 939? I presume from the above your family don't need the performance, but considering your available budget it would make more sense to go for either A64 AM2 or Core2Duo with DDR2. A 7900GS would also have a much longer lifespan for the occasional gaming, and can be had for a bargain £120. Don't buy something you need to fully replace next time you want to upgrade, there are 2 newer platforms that should be upgradable for a long time .

If you can build systems why are you buying a dell desktop? From the Dell site it seems the XPS still uses a Pentium 4 (ugh) and Quad SLI (buggy at best)? What a waste of cash! You could build a nice Core2Duo setup and save a fair few pennies .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    I don't understand why you're going for 939? I presume from the above your family don't need the performance, but considering your available budget it would make more sense to go for either A64 AM2 or Core2Duo with DDR2. A 7900GS would also have a much longer lifespan for the occasional gaming, and can be had for a bargain £120. Don't buy something you need to fully replace next time you want to upgrade, there are 2 newer platforms that should be upgradable for a long time .

If you can build systems why are you buying a dell desktop? From the Dell site it seems the XPS still uses a Pentium 4 (ugh) and Quad SLI (buggy at best)? What a waste of cash! You could build a nice Core2Duo setup and save a fair few pennies .
    I understand I also thought that but I ain't bothered to build a PC atm College and A-level are taking my time up

Maybe in the summer when I have got more cash I can buy a Next-gen setup for now I'll use this

I will go with your idea of getting the AM2 platform and the 7900GS Thanks

But the two dells fit my standing atm but thanks for informing me

I'm gonna say this forum looks nice and would love to post here

Thread Information