Thread: another k7s5a..

Thanks

another k7s5a..

dead..

My dads one stopped working about this time last year in a very boring way (couldnt even find out the cause).

Todays one, 3 capacitors are leaking, and seem to have shorted the mosfets, but it might still work if I can swap the capacitors and clean it...
    Still a very boring way, but the smell is not nice.

Anyone know if these are sold anywhere still? If I can get an exact replacement I shouldnt need to reinstall.... and they should be VERY cheap by now..

OR an alternative socketA board? although I think we have a spare nf7-s collecting dust...

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    I have a K7S5A v3 at home, havent noticed any problem with leaking caps?

Otherwise - my main rig is using a NF7-S v2, which has been brilliant for the last 3 years, so I can whole heartidly recommend it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath| View Post
    If I can get an exact replacement I shouldnt need to reinstall....
    I assume you mean you want to retain your Windows XP install and are scared you cannot due to hardware changes?

Well, you'll be happy to hear there is a way around the Windows XP new hardware thing. Personally I got a new motherboard and new cpu, swapped over my old hdd, followed the steps, and no problem, no reinstall, it's still working nicely. There's no guarantee of course, so always back up first, but I know a few others it's worked for. Very simple, no dodgy programs or complex regediting required.

You'll probably struggle to find a k7s5a new now, but you can sometimes still find new SocketA boards going for not-too-much. Think someone was selling a SoA system on the sale forum here even...

Thanks
    These were k7s5a v1 and v2 i think. Im suprised to see the leaking caps though.

Quote Originally Posted by jamena View Post
    I assume you mean you want to retain your Windows XP install and are scared you cannot due to hardware changes?

Well, you'll be happy to hear there is a way around the Windows XP new hardware thing. Personally I got a new motherboard and new cpu, swapped over my old hdd, followed the steps, and no problem, no reinstall, it's still working nicely. There's no guarantee of course, so always back up first, but I know a few others it's worked for. Very simple, no dodgy programs or complex regediting required.

You'll probably struggle to find a k7s5a new now, but you can sometimes still find new SocketA boards going for not-too-much. Think someone was selling a SoA system on the sale forum here even...
    Ive never tried it but I assume you mean the program on the cd? also its a win2k install but still has the program i think.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath| View Post
    Ive never tried it but I assume you mean the program on the cd? also its a win2k install but still has the program i think.
    this site might help?
    http://motherboard.windowsreinstall.com/

p.s. my old k7s5a (v1 I imagine) is still going strong afaik and I bought it like 5 years ago!

Thread Information