Thread: New Build, big Problem - randow restarts

Thanks

New Build, big Problem - randow restarts

All,

I have just built my new PC a week ago and it has been generally very stable apart from 2 random restarts which happened whilst I was installing various software from CD's after setting up windows (which did not show a BSOD but wrote a error stop 102 in the event log), however I did not see any repeat of these, and have been using te PC intensively for office apps and extracting AVI files onto DVD's for watching on my home cinema system.

However until I started playing World of warcraft at the weekend while installing another game in the background from a CD. The machine restarted- no BSOD, no error in the event logs, just the power going off and the machine restarting.

It *seems* that as soon as the DVD drive & hard disk is working while I am doing something graphically intensive, the machine restarts - the only way I could reproduce the restart was to load up WOW and have a cd/dvd related activity going on at the same time. Any time I do this, at some point within a minute of setting it all off, the machine restarts.

I can run the machine stable doing office apps no problem, and have played warcraft for a couple of hours with no problem, and have installed a lot of software from the DVD drive.

Here is what I have checked:-

- Temps - According to PC Probe the CPU runs 45 idle, 55 maxed out and when these restarts happen it has not been higher than 50. I have had it running stable with higher temps encoding DVD's.
    - IRQ - graphics card is on it's own IRQ, DVD drive is not sharing an IRQ.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Could it be either memory of the PSU? I have a 620W PSU, so I cannot believe that I am overloading it!

I am going to run a mem test tonight, but also wonder if it could be a PSU issue since the restart seems to happen when I have the graphics card working away as well as the DVD drive and the Raptor? Or could the DVD drive be faulty?

I have the SATA devices working off the Intel ICHR7 controller, the DVD burner working off the secondary IDE channle and the JMicron controller is switched off in the BIOS. CPU & memory are working at default speeds. My case has 4 fans (1 intake, 3 exhaust).

Anyone seen anything like this?

E6600 at stock speed
    Artic cooling freezer Pro cooler
    BenQ Dvd burner
    Mitsumi 7 in 1 floppy card reader
    P5W Deluxe
    2GB Corsair CL4 DDR2, running at default speed
    150GB raptor
    320GB Seagate
    Gigabyte 7600GT Silent pipe graphics card
    Thermaltake Kandalf Case
    Enermax Liberty 620W PSU

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    start off by entering the ram timings manually. Rig up a fan to blow on the graphics card while you are gaming, if it doesnt have problems, you know its the cooling (i have the same card and it can get red hot, even before windows). In fact, rig up a big desk fan and have it blowing into the side of the case while you test.

Unplug anything that you dont need for now, just have one hard drive. Take off the Northbridge cooler and make sure it is sitting flat on the northbridge.

Grab the latest drivers for your 7600gt. Grab the latest drivers for your chipset.

Thanks
    I had another random crash today (after 24 hours stable running), this time just doing web surfing and not installing anythong. When I looked in the error log there was again no error, but a system event notification:

Error 1001
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100306-01.dmp.

I looked further and these were generated also when I had the previous crashes. Anyone know how to interpret these files? Help appreciated...

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    did you do any of what i suggested? grab memtest and run it.

Thread Information