Thread: Which Shuttle for Video Editing/Games

Thanks

Which Shuttle for Video Editing/Games

Hi - I'm after some advice on what the minimum spec would be for a shuttle that would be used for mainly Windows type operations/internet surfing - and video editing with input from camcorder via firewire. At the moment I'm looking at a Shuttle SN41G2 512MB Memory AMD Athlon XP2500, 120 GB/160GB HDD and a DVD Writer
    Would I notice the performance difference using a faster processor, more memory. Also what would this be like for playing games - this is just a minor concern but I would be interested to know how the onboard graphics chip performs as against a separate card - will it play the latest games with the settings lowered - also does the chip share the main memory (i.e. 512MB)
    Thanks

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    SN85G4 and A64 3200 w/ gig of ram

Plenty of cache, plenty of speed

That's not a minimum spec, you could do video editing on a duron 1.6 if you wanted, it wouldnt be fast (ok that's an understatement) but it would still go.

Generally video editing requires large, fast harddisks (10k+ drives are better and also having the os/programs separate from your editing drive is a must), plenty of mem and lots of cache.

Best graphics you can get are Geforce 4 MX400, hardly great but again, itll run. And yea, it uses onboard mem.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    If you are going to use the IGP (integrated graphics port) then i'd suggest putting a gig of memory, in especially if you are going to be doing editing.

As you can see i've got a sn41g2 with a 2600xp throughbred B with a gig of mem, and it will play bf1942, call of duty etc etc without issue.

It scores 4700 2001SE330 marks, which isn't that bad.
    But i'd say you've got a pretty good idea of what you want, only real advise to you is make sure you update the bios when you get the shuttle, the sn41g2 does have some glitches that got ironed out quickly, but best to get the latest bios as a priority.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice / reassurance I'll think I'll be going for the SN41G2 with a gig of ram and a XP2500 or faster (I'll be buying after Christmas so I'll see what processor prices are then)

Thread Information