Thread: My gaming/media centre pc Spec check

Thanks

My gaming/media centre pc Spec check

Hi, I've never build a system from scratch before, although i have done just about everything i need to do for this in steps in the past. I've set money aside for this but would rather spend less rather then more As you do.

Just wondering if Ive picked bits n pieces right;

Cpu: Core2duo E6600
    MoBo: P5W DH Deluxe
    Gpu's: X1950 Pro CrossFire
    HDD: Raptor X 150GB
    PSU: OCZ 700w GameXstream
    Case: Nzxt Lexa
    Tv: Leadtek WinFast DTV2000H
    Ram: OCZ ATI ram 2GB(costly but i like it, would like to hear your opinion on other ram.)

I want it to power 1920x1200 res and be a tv, And play games like bf2142/cod2 at highest settings.

Thanks in advance.

Wannabe Title Guru
    Thanks
    Nice spec, although if you are going to be recording TV should maybe think of a dedicated 2nd HDD..... ?
    Main: i5 2500K, AsRock Extreme4 Z68, 8GB Vengeance, Enermax Infiniti, 5850 1GB
    Toys: Cowon J3 32GB, DIR-655, PS3 Slim, HTC Desire, HDC-SD1, Slingbox, Synology DS109j, Asus Transformer + dock

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looking good to me, the raptor might get on your nerves when watching/recording tv. The noise of the raptor doesnt bother me too much, but for an entertainment pc, you might be better off looking at a samsung

edit: just noticed plural GPUs, you probably wont hear the raptor above those.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Looking good to me, the raptor might get on your nerves when watching/recording tv. The noise of the raptor doesnt bother me too much, but for an entertainment pc, you might be better off looking at a samsung

edit: just noticed plural GPUs, you probably wont hear the raptor above those.
    Noise is a big but not extreme issue for me, in game i can live with it... I assumed the motherboards 'AI quiet' Could be turned on for things like that, but i couldn't find much info about the AI quiet uses...

The x1950 pro has 1 slot fan design. details are not around yet, not that i could see at least. Of how loud it is, its either that or one x1950xt, which is meant to be very quiet, although i am unsure of just 'how' quiet that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by kevpuk View Post
    Nice spec, although if you are going to be recording TV should maybe think of a dedicated 2nd HDD..... ?
    Nice idea, How would i go about that (does speed matter?) Has windows media centre got it pre-installed? :S (new to media centre)
    Could you recommend me a good price per gb hdd?

Thanks
    I do believe the Asus AI quiet feature is meant for system fans and not the hd noise. The raptors are indeed fast drives but do make a fair bit of noise when under strain.
    I to am waiting for reviews on the x1950 Pro version in terms of noise/ performance. Other than that the x1950xtx is quiet it wont give a headache or anything when under load, although on a side note it does run pretty hot.

Thanks
    Yer, its just finding out about pro, From what ive heard Crossfire is very good for high res. rather then one say x1950xtx. lets see how the benchmarks turn out.
    Aprently its a release date of 17th ^^

Thanks
    Also Does the order you install things effect how well they run? have heard mixed opinions.
    Last edited by Jammer; 13-10-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Thread Information