• NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Hard disks & noise

I'm looking at expanding my disks & decreasing noise in the process by moving my 80gb wdse into my server, and putting something quiet of equal size into my desktop. i'm leaning towards sata since, well, it's there & unused on my mobo - but since noise is a HUGE concern for me, I want to make an absolute check based on peoples' experiences, ESPECIALLY those who have heard all options running more or less head-to-head - who makes the quietest disks on the market? i always thought seagate, but everyone keeps saying maxtor are just as quiet, so now i'm all confused...

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    Samsung

The difference between a WD800AB and an 80GB Samsung was ASTONISHING! I had a WD400JB as well, and that was slightly quieter than the WD800AB, but nowhere near as quiet as the Samsung. Kustompcs also think Samsung are the quietest drives, and some people who have owned both Seagate and Samsung say the samsung are quieter, plus you get 3yr warranty on the samsung drives

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    No dont seagate? Western digitals (non fluid bearings) are well noisy so ANYTHING is quieter next to them.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    i'm with josh have to say samsung drives are outstanding, just got a samsung sp1614n 160gb 7200rpm 8mb cache and it's fantastic can't here it at all when it seeks and in big transfers very very quiet i think the only reason i can here it is it's mounted to the inside frount of my case which amplifies the noise but thats the dell case for you

£84 inc vat+shipping www.komplett.co.uk a couple of weeks ago i think it's gone up now to £90
    Last edited by atifds9; 28-11-2003 at 11:30 AM.
    i5 | Antec Sonata 3 | 4 GB | OCZ Vertex | Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7

Thanks
    maxtor d740x's (which are old) can be very niosy
    dmp9's seem to be a lot quieter, my 120gb i can hardly hear and it gets less hot.
    my 160gb sata 8mb dmp9 is different though, makes quite a lot more niose, maybe more platters? niether have accoustic management enabled and the 160gb is noticably louder in seeks, i suspect maxtor might have tryed to increase performance at the expence of more niose. my first drive was faulty so it got rma'd, the new one i havent tryed yet but it might be very differnt

Thanks
    I've got a Seagate Barracuda V, which according to Seagate's marketting, is the quietest HD around at the moment. Even with a very queit system, I hardly ever hear it at all.

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    The only thing that pisses me off about harddisks is the vibration. Ive got mine on a load of foam padding yet the table still vibrates enough to keep me awake sometimes (the 12db cpu can i cant hear), but i put my finger on it and it stops
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre
    I Have a Barracuda 4 40gb and a Samsung 160gb 8mb cache.
    I can't hear either from where I sit. If I put my ear to either I can hear:
    The Seagate accessing, the samsung spining, but I can not hear the seagate spin or the samsung access. So overall on a par.
    I got the Samsung from Komplett inc vat and P&P for £85 last week when it was on special.

Thanks
    Originally posted by www.josh.org.uk
    Samsung
    Another vote for samsung. I've just bought a Samsung SP1213N 120GB 8MB for one of my shuttle's its alot quieter than my other drives which are WD 120MB + 80GB 8mb cache

Thanks
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I've got a Seagate Barracuda V, which according to Seagate's marketting, is the quietest HD around at the moment. Even with a very queit system, I hardly ever hear it at all.
    thats bs (not having a go at you mate ), the barracuda IV is quieter than V,

the quietest solotion i've seen is a WD 80gb SE, inside my Silent Drive, i can bearly hear it when my i've only got my PSU fan running (most other 7200 rpm drives would run too hot + maybe die inside a Silent Drive), wheras i can blatently tell when my Seagate Cuda V is accessing data,

after christmas, i'm just gonna buy 2x SATA drives, and make an enclosed hd watercool unit, to block out almost all noise they make

but w/o an enclousre, the quietest drive i've used was a Seagate Cuda IV (never used a samsung btw..)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    spinpoint 80p is in the post from the friendly folks @ Dabs

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    aw crap, they're doing a SATA version nowish

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Hex man.....cos I know how sensitive your ears are and youlove a quiet PC, there's only 1 HDDI have used that was really quiet and really very very good for the money.

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 40Gb ATA 133 7200rpm Disk Drive - OEM

Got it from ebuyer...but it was only 40gb.....thing is, its really really slimline....very quiet and intensley cool. I rate this as a seriously good buy. I have one in Sair's MSI Hermes and it gets warm in that little case, (but the HDD is not the heat source)......its a faultless HDD. XP boot times are ace.

I also used on in an ASUS Nforce and AMD XP setup for a friend , who has NO ability to keep his HDD clear and loads everything to hand onto his PC (you know the type....clueless ) and it handles it all with aplomb. It defrags very fast and its quiet even on a deep search for a file (you know....the normal pneumatic drill noise with background chugging other HDD create)

So if its a RAID-able affair I think these would OWN the market.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...0971&offset=10

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Originally posted by cky2k
    thats bs (not having a go at you mate ), the barracuda IV is quieter than V,

the quietest solotion i've seen is a WD 80gb SE, inside my Silent Drive, i can bearly hear it when my i've only got my PSU fan running (most other 7200 rpm drives would run too hot + maybe die inside a Silent Drive), wheras i can blatently tell when my Seagate Cuda V is accessing data,

after christmas, i'm just gonna buy 2x SATA drives, and make an enclosed hd watercool unit, to block out almost all noise they make

but w/o an enclousre, the quietest drive i've used was a Seagate Cuda IV (never used a samsung btw..)
    According to This graph at StorageReview.com, the barracuda V is quieter than the barracuda IV. This is only idle noise though, I can't find anything for accessing noise.

Thanks
    I have 4 pc's here, among them I have a 13gig seagate drive, 15 gig WD, 40 gig IBM/Hitachi, 120gig Maxtor and 40 gig maxtor.

I have to say the loudest has to be the Wester digital, it makes so much noise accessing.
    The seagate is very quiet, I can't hear it at all with just one 120mm fan in the case.
    I was presently suprised by the Hitachi, it one of their new ones as I just got an rma from an old IBM, the old one did make a bit of noise accessing, not bad though, but the new one is fine nothing noticable at all really, but then again I do have alot of fans in the case so its rather noisy anyway, so it may just be no acessing noise.
    As for the maxtors they are just as slent as the seagate. Maybe a bit of noise, but its less than the couple of fans in the comp with the 80gig, and certianly less than the fans in my main rig. No accessing noises to be heard at all, just like the Hitachi drive.

Overall I would rate them from First to last as:

Maxtor
    Seaagate
    Hitachi
    western digital

I would have to rate the Hitachi over the WD simply on the fact that they are not as noisy but still cheap. If you aren't bechmarking your drives then the Value of a hitachi is gonna beat a WD if you ask me.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Originally posted by Zak33
    Hex man.....cos I know how sensitive your ears are and youlove a quiet PC, there's only 1 HDDI have used that was really quiet and really very very good for the money.

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 40Gb ATA 133 7200rpm Disk Drive - OEM

Got it from ebuyer...but it was only 40gb.....thing is, its really really slimline....very quiet and intensley cool. I rate this as a seriously good buy. I have one in Sair's MSI Hermes and it gets warm in that little case, (but the HDD is not the heat source)......its a faultless HDD. XP boot times are ace.

I also used on in an ASUS Nforce and AMD XP setup for a friend , who has NO ability to keep his HDD clear and loads everything to hand onto his PC (you know the type....clueless ) and it handles it all with aplomb. It defrags very fast and its quiet even on a deep search for a file (you know....the normal pneumatic drill noise with background chugging other HDD create)

So if its a RAID-able affair I think these would OWN the market.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...0971&offset=10
    I have the 30GB version of this in my mp3 pc. Sits on my desk very quietly, and stays nice and cool despite the (small) case only having 1 low cfm 80mm fan and a low cfm 60mm exhaust fan.

Thread Information