• Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Cooling the new PC and P5B bios question

Should be taking delivery of my PC parts from Scan sometime today so itching to get it built parts including....

1.P5B Deluxe/Wifi-ap mobo
    2.Core Due 6600 (with Arctic cooler Pro 7)
    3.2GB Corsair 6400

My question is when installing it all, is it best to take Arctic's advice on positioning the hsf?

I have 2 intake fans at the front of the case and 1 outward blower at the back, according to Arctic the fan on the heat sink should be pointing torwards the intake fans and the arctics fan is a intake so the idea being that it takes the air in over the hsf and blows torwards back of the case wheres the hot air is blown out the back. This all makes sense to me as the pic they have on their installation instructions shows below....

Only reason i asked is someone recommeded having a intake fan on the back for extra cooling as my case is fairly old - only has 1 blower at back although i have a additional one that goes on my pci slot.

Secondly what revision of BIOS are people using on their P5B Deluxe/Wifi-ap, not sure what revision i will have when it comes today, but anybody recommend putting on the latest revision 0804.. checking asus website the this bios does the following.....

1. Support conroe L processor
    2. Update JMicron option rom 1.06.22
    3. Modify CPU fan low limit speed from 800 RPM to 600 RPM
    4. Implement ASUS CGI performance with ATI 1950 graphic cards

would appear to me i should use the above as i will be using the Sapphire ATI X1950 pro. Hope other P5B owners have been using this revision and had good experiences? Im thinking back to the last time i built a PC (4 years ago) and the nightmares i use to have with all the bios revisions

Thanks
    • Captain Fizz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Maximus Hero VIII
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • SM951 + Many more
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Supressor F51
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • XB270HU Predator
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrichello View Post
    Only reason i asked is someone recommeded having a intake fan on the back for extra cooling as my case is fairly old - only has 1 blower at back although i have a additional one that goes on my pci slot.
    You actually have 2.
    Your PSU is also an exhaust.

The setup as advised will work fine.

With regards to BIOS - That update affects the kit you have - I'd update it.

Thanks
    I would recommend using the latest official bios rev from Asus, especially as it mentions your graphics card. Also the 965 boards had a few compatability issues initially with RAM, etc, so would be a good idea.

Arctic have it right - what you are after is a good flow of air through your case. intake at the front, output at the back, your heatsink fan following this airflow. Below the graphic card can be a bad spot for airflow, so additional intake there is OK IMO, but I wouldn't put an intake at the back if you have intake at the front.

Thread Information