Thread: Few questions: Akasa Eclipse-62 + GTX? Also one about Scan and one about fans.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

Few questions: Akasa Eclipse-62 + GTX? Also one about Scan and one about fans.

Hi all. I'm still deciding on a few last pieces of gear before I order my new PC. I've decided now that I'm probably going to go with an 8800GTX not the GTS. So I need a good case for it. I read a million reviews, and this one seems to be one of the best:

Akasa Eclipse-62

Does anyone happen to know if that case can fit an 8800GTX? Luckily all the front drive bays are removable, so I know I could always remove those if I need to. But I was hoping to put my 2 hard drives as low down as possible (but above the front fan), so I'd love to know if an 8800GTX could fit in the case without removing the hard disk bays.

ALSO: This case is high on my list too. Its much cheaper and seems great. Would that case fit the 8800GTX? If not, I will get a bigger one. If it does... I will probably buy that case because of its good price.

Question2
    I was looking at the Scan Terms&Conditions, and it says you need to report faulty stuff within 48 hours if you want them to replace it at their cost etc. If I was to order an entire PC, and some parts came later than others.... I wouldn't be able to test the parts until all the parts have arrived. Does anyone know if they would let me do my 48 hour test after the LAST part arrives? If its 48 hours after the first part arrives... and say... the motherboard comes a week later or something, I would be screwed. So I'm a bit concerned about that. I've never bought from Scan before.

Last Question
    That case doesn't come with fans. So I will need to buy two 120mm fans. I want ones without lights, so what would be a good pair of fans to get? Im hoping for the cheapest I can get with the best air flow and the quietest noise.

Here is the list at Scan, so I want to choose a pair from that list. I can just get the uber &#163;8 ones if need be... but expensive isn't always the best.

Lastly, will I need ones with a fan controller if I don't want them spinning at top speed and making lots of noise? The Akasa Amber Case Fan says its just 18db which is tiny. But for less than &#163;1 more... there is the Silverstone SST-FM121B Fans which come with a fan controller.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by acrobat; 29-11-2006 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb
    I'm pretty sure that after 48 hours you'd just have to pay for the postage on returns, which you'd get free in the first place using the deal they have with Hexus anyway so it's no biggie. If you wanna know for certain ask one of the Scan guys over at their forum.

As for case fans, I can't recommend the 120mm Sharkoon 1000 enough, they work brilliantly in my Eclipse-62.
    Last edited by NightshadowUK; 29-11-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks
    • DratUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P877-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • I5 3570K with Antec Kuhler 920
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair Vengance
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2 Sandforce, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Jetstream 670
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A10B
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24" 1900x1200
      • Internet:
      • VM 100
    Go for the Akasa. I have the 532 on your other link and whilst it is easy to build with etc the open mesh front means you get more noise.
    At double the price the Akasa is still a good investment more room than the 532 centurion and very good airflow/cooling.
    Another one to consider is the Antec 900 Gaming Case, not everybodies cup of tea but has had good reviews so far
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/periph...Gaming-Case/p1

http://www.fastekcomputers.co.uk/sho...ack-p-919.html
    £74
    Not a bad price
    Good luck in your choice.

Thanks
    i have also got the 532 and will soon be upgrading to the eclipse i dont think there is anything wrong with the coolermaster 532 i just feel that the eclipse just does everything that little bit better!

you probably could fit a 8800 gtx in the 532 but you would probably end up removing the hdd cage and possibly the fdd bays! (not a hard job but a pain none the less)!

i think you stand a much better chance of fitting the 8800gtx in an akasa eclipse 62!

the main reasons i am upgrading to the eclipse are...

1. its a lot bigger (easier to work in & easier to hide wiring)

2. its aluminium (cooler and quieter)

3. removable motherboard tray.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Thank you everyone for the help Very kind of you. I think I will go with the Akasa Eclipse. I just like the idea of it being a bit bigger inside, so there is more room for air to flow around in there. And I like the idea of it being a bit quieter too. It just seems like a really good case.

As for fans, I will get that 120mm Sharkoon 1000 as someone mentioned. They look like good fans, so 1 good recommendation is enough to convince me

Also, thanks for the tip about Scan. I'm not sure how it works yet, but I plan on doing the Scan2Hexus deal where you get free delivery too, so hopefully nothing will be faulty, and if it is, hopefully they will just replace it for me, even if I have to send it back to them at my own cost.

Anyway thanks a lot everyone. I'm starting to feel really confident about the stuff I'm going to be ordering. Its all worked out a bit more expensive than I was hoping, but I would rather spend a bit more and get really good components that will last a long time and keep me happy for a long time.

Thanks again

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Scan are very good with returns, the 48hour rule is for them to send a courier for it.

You still get a 1 year warranty with scan and a couple more years from the manufacturer. also you're still covered for 7 days with the new Distance selling Regulations. Scan is about the only retailer I say confidently say wont screw you over.

The Sharkoons are very good, and very quiet.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Oooh, good to know! Thank you very much

Thread Information