Thread: New 1800+ Throughbred

Thanks

New 1800+ Throughbred

I have just got a new 1800+ with an NF7-S, so I was wondering what sort of speed should I be able to get it up to? Also, will that speed be able to run the new lot of games e.g. Black and White 2.

Thanks
    Main thing, what core is it, is it the 1800-B or the one wihtt eh Palamino core, cuase if its the Palamino core your gonna have the same problem as me, which is they suck at overclocking.

Thanks
    Wow, i'm smart arent i, i cant even readDUH.

I dont knwo what exactly to tell you about the limits, it depends on your cooling solution too.

Thanks
    I believe that people have got that in the range 2.1ghz - 2.6ghz obviosuly depending on cooling, and what voltages you use.

See how far you can get before putting up the volts (decrease the multipler, and up the fsb first.) once you max out the fsb increase the multipler.

test for stability at every point.

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    What heatsink would you recommend?

2ghz - sounds good to me!

Thanks
    For the lots of cash user there is teh SLK-800 or the zalman flower do-dah.

For £10-£15 there is the volcano 11. I woudl recommend this.

I have a volcano 7 (copper core, and aluminium mostly) there is there is quite fan (about 30ish CMF) and that keeps my xp1700 tbred B @ 2ghz cooled nicely (with very good air flow through the case.)

Can you post the code on the chip?

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Banned
    Thanks
    We really do need the code, although taking the current HSF off to look will often inhibit your current cooling (you often need to clean the HS and reapply paste). The main reason for checking the black sticker on the CPU is to ascertain whether it is a TbredA or TbredB as there's a BIG difference and most (dumb-a$$) sellers only stipulate Tbred not the all important TbredB. You can test without removing your HSF, simply use CPUID or type SET at DOS/CMD and lookup Family, Model & Stepping numbers. 6-8-0 is TbredA while 6-8-1 is TbredB. If you have TbredA you are little better than a Pally but will at leats run cooler. If you have TbredB then you run cooler still and also have great o/c'ing potential. If the CPU was bought very recently it could also be Thorton which should be as good as TbredB but unlike it may be locked (so no mult adj).

As always you should leave everything stock, decrease the multiplier in order to attain the max FSB you can with your given RAM and mobo. For XP1800+ that would be 9x166 (333FSB & PC2700) or 7.5x200 (400FSB & PC3200), ensure RAM is set to run synced to FSB. Then as said up the multiplier in small steps and test each time. When you become unstable either back it off for the long term or try adding 0.05v at a time and again see how much higher you can go. 1.65v is normal voltage anyway, 1.70v is considered a safe overvolt with many going to 1.75-1.80v since the chips are cheap to replace.

I agree with HSF recs, Volcano 11/12 are hard to argue with for the £15ish they demand form CPUcity or Dabs. If you want more it tends to cost you more and often get more complicated too. You may want to factor in soem good paste/compound which should only be £5ish and handle many applications.

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    You may want to factor in soem good paste/compound which should only be £5ish and handle many applications.
    replace may with do , getting some arctic silver or such thermal compound will help with temperatures as the transfer of heat from cpu -> heatsink will happen much better (need to expand my vocabulary ), with my first pc i built (a duron750) the temperatures dropped at least 15 degrees by changing from some generic paste to some arctic silver - also pretty much any compound is better than the kinda plastic strip (TIM - Thermal Interface Material i think) which come on most heatsinks

mark
    Last edited by streetster; 07-12-2003 at 12:08 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Just the usual warning to apply any compound as thinly as possible as it's there to fill the tiny pockets of air in the HS rather than to create a sandwich. Too much of any compound is worse than none.

wibble
    Thanks
    What I found to be a cheap cooling solution was an 80mm coolermaster heatsink and fan (cost £7 from ebuyer). I then replaced the standard fan with higher cfm fan I had a spare, a 53cfm Mechatronics, which kept my xp1800 below 45C under load @ 1.725v, 2300mhz (200x11.5).
    However you do need to find out the code to get an idea of what you have, mine was jiuhb dlt3c 0307
    Wibble

Currently wanted:
    DVB- satellite pci card

Thanks
    Sorry, don't know the code :-( , but i will try to find out.

At the moment its running at barton 2500+ speeds, haven't tried any further yet. beats my old 1.2 athlon ;P

Thanks
    I ran prime95 at 166*11.5, but after about 10 hours it came up with an error. Is this a major problem, and is it possible that it could be the RAM that is causng the error? - the RAM I have now is fairly old, about 2 years.

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    The main reason for checking the black sticker on the CPU is to ascertain whether it is a TbredA or TbredB as there's a BIG difference and most (dumb-a$$) sellers only stipulate Tbred not the all important TbredB. You can test without removing your HSF, simply use CPUID or type SET at DOS/CMD and lookup Family, Model & Stepping numbers. 6-8-0 is TbredA while 6-8-1 is TbredB.
    Just to establish a given o/c is stable running Prime for 10-20min is considered adequate. When you settle on your final o/c'ed speed is when you'd really want to run Prime for hours to make 100% certain it's perfectly stable. I personally wouldn't worry about an error after 10 hours. If your CPU is TbredB it should handle much more than 10.5x166=1.75ghz (roughly XP2200+), what voltage are you using? If the RAM was the cause of the error it would almost certainly manifest itself way before 10 hours was up, what type of RAM is it, PC2100, PC2700? Also have you looked at advanced BIOS settings for the RAM or just left them std?

Thanks

Thanks
    I've left the voltage for the processor untouched, I've only changed the fsb/multiplier. I haven't touched any other settings i.e. the advanced BIOS settings for the RAM are also unchanged. I have a feeling that the RAM is PC2100, but I'm not sure.

Thread Information