Thread: Advice requested on new build please

Thanks

Advice requested on new build please

Hello all and hope you can help me out here. Novice builder here although I have built a couple of systems a few years ago. Typically, as soon as I decide to treat me to a new PC, the pleas start from son to upgrade his first!!! So, change of plan as I come second again.

His usage differs from mine in that he does gaming – although nothing too ‘heavy’ (I’m not at all familiar with games as you can probably tell)
    Anyway, found this excellent forum through reading reviews and am learning a lot from it.
    What I think I have decided on is:
    ( a. sorry, can't post the links yet.
    b. is this all compatible and hopefully problem-free?)

MSI P965-PLATINUM iP965, S775, PCI-E (x16),
    DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, Socket 775, 1.86 GHz, 1066MHz FSB,
    Allendale Core, 2MB Cache, Retail

256MB ASUS 7300GT PCI-Ex16 Silent Mem 800MHz GPU 400MHz 8Pipes D-Sub/DVI-I/S-Video Passive Cooling

1GB (2x512MB) CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15

500W Xclio X12S4P2 SLi Goodpower12cm Fan Dual 12v EPS SATA PCI-E with Anti-Vibration 24x7 Use Ready

250 Gb Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE16, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2b OEM Single Pack FREE Ugrade Coupon to Windows Vista

I intend to re-use his case which seems to be surviving ok but replace the 350watt PSU with the new 500xclio PSU.
    Optical drives will be used from the existing system as will monitor,keyboard, mouse

Is the ‘stock’ cooler on the retail version of the CPU Ok or do I really need to consider an aftermarket cooler? – there’s no intention of overclocking (I don’t think!)
    Present HDD is ATA which I assume cannot be re-used?
    Is the Gfx card ok for ‘modern’ games?
    Is RAM ok?
    Already has windows XP but I’m buying an installation for my intended upgrade in due course - just to get started .

Any comments and/or better suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
    regards

Thanks
    Hi Dantec,

Sorry to be brief just running out the door ...

Graphics need to be something like 7600GT or higher for todays and future games.
    RAM is fine, but a more basic model (and cheaper) would do just as fine a job
    ATA drive can be re-used
    Stock cooler is ok - maybe a bit noisy, if not for £13 an Arctic Cooling model is available from Scan and it's perfect for the job.

If you not overclocking, a 6400 or 6600 CPU would be perhaps a more future proof plan.

And the PSU is a good option, although I prefer Tagan (fanboy here).

Hope that helps

awm
    Thanks
    Really thought the 6300 should be fine. Usually you get more bang for your buck with a lower clocked CPU. Definitely agree on the better graphics card for gaming. The silent version could be a good choice though.

Thanks
    Stock cooler is fine if not overclocking.
    CPU is fine as well.

Ram is nice, but you would be fine with 667 value-select ram. And it would be nice to stretch to 2gig...

Graphics are definately not fine for modern gaming. But it does depend on exactly what gaming is needed, as older generation titles will still be ok with the card. If any recent gaming is wanted, you would really need a 7600gt as a minimum.
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming. i5-6500. 16gig Ripjaw 2400. Samsung 950pro NMVe 250gig+ 1tb Intel 660p. GTX Titan. Corsair TX650M.

939 3800 X2 | 2gig corsairXMS 3200C2
    1950XT | 500gig,320,200,160
    Plextor DVD burner | Yamaha CRW-F1 CD-drive
    Thermaltake Xaser 3 w 480W FSP | X-fi fatal1ty

Things have moved on since I first joined...

Thanks
    Hi people, and thanks for quick input.

As mentioned, I'm absolutely not up on games but F.E.A.R(I think) was mentioned and Half Life?
    Anyway, looking at Graphics cards is there significant differences in these 2? and I take it the most appropriate would be the 7900GS? although would the 7600 GT do at a pinch for a while?

256MB Palit 7600GT Sonic, PCI-E(x16), Mem 1500MHz, GPU 575MHz, 12Pipes, D-Sub/Dual Link DVI/HDTV SLI

Or
    256MB Palit 7900GS PCI-E (x16), Mem 1320 MHz, GPU 450 MHz, 20 Pipes, Dual DVI/HDTV

Is this the type of RAM you suggest would be ok?
    2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair Value Select, DDR2 PC5300 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15

Ploughing through a lot of the posts, I noted that if overclocking was not an issue a suitable motherboard might be?:
    Asrock CONROEXFIRE-ESATA2, i945P, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

with

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, Socket 775, 2.13 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Allendale Core, 2MB Cache, Retail
    (just a bit of give and take on the final bill)
    although if the 6300 is ok,(with or without this board) I would rest content with that.
    Would love to hear further comments on this.
    Also on the quiet front, I don't know how noisy things are just now but it would be nice to keep the volume down a bit.
    regards
    D
    My head's nipping and I've got my own new build still to think about (but that's maybe receding into the distance now - D'oh!)

Thanks
    The 6300 is good. For Fear get the 7900. Just remember he wont be able to crank the settings. Fear is one of those "heavy" games you mentioned before.
    With love and many thanks,

Melons

Thanks
    Code:
    Fear is one of those "heavy" games you mentioned before.
    Ah-Ha! Now we're getting somewhere! (this is getting serious..)

Code:
    Just remember he wont be able to crank the settings.
    Is this if the Asrock board is selected or just using the original CPU/Mobo combination anyway?

Is F.E.A.R a typical example of 'modern' games then?

Thanks for that, and had a listen to your recording btw (nice sound)- you don't need a oldish 5-string player do you?

Look forward to having more opinions please, maybe on a choice of Ram.
    cheers
    D
    Last edited by Dantec; 11-12-2006 at 01:43 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    There's some info on rigs here hope that's ok to put on here...just some of my opinions
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantec View Post
    thanks for that, and had a listen to your recording btw (nice sound)- you don't need a oldish 5-string player do you?
    Thanks for that. They were done 3 years ago so we're much better now.

Back on topic: You should definitely get Value Select ram. The performance loss would be minimal. The asrock should be okay. It wont be great but as you said, spending more would only benefit you if you were overclocking. FEAR is a very graphically demanding game so the graphics card would be the limiting factor. However, theres not much point in getting anything better, an NVidia 7900gs or an ATI x1950pro (£120ish, slightly better than the NVidia) would be perfectly acceptable.
    With love and many thanks,

Melons

Thanks
    • colinloves's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6400
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4Gig DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320Gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 1950Pro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred Gamer
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindMelon7 View Post
    Thanks for that. They were done 3 years ago so we're much better now.

Back on topic: You should definitely get Value Select ram. The performance loss would be minimal. The asrock should be okay. It wont be great but as you said, spending more would only benefit you if you were overclocking. FEAR is a very graphically demanding game so the graphics card would be the limiting factor. However, theres not much point in getting anything better, an NVidia 7900gs or an ATI x1950pro (£120ish, slightly better than the NVidia) would be perfectly acceptable.
    Totally agree with the above.

Thread Information