• acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

1 last question :P Memory Timings on a Gigabyte DS4

Hey all, I have two gig of Corsair DDR2 800 with stock timings of 4-4-4-12.

I put them in the right slots in my mobo and am using the PC happily for a few weeks now. Everything seems ok. And everything to do with memory in the bios is set to "Auto".

But I got a program called CPU-Z which gives full details on your CPU and RAM and it raised a bit of suspicion.

On the "SPD" page, it says:

Frequency: 400 Mhz
    CAS# Latency: 4.0
    RAS# to CAS#: 4
    RAS# Precharge: 4
    Tras: 12
    Trc: 22
    Command Rate: 2T

I only know what the first 5 entries mean, but that seems ok.

BUT, on the "Memory" page in CPU-Z, it said:

CAS# Latency: 5.0
    RAS# to CAS#: 5
    RAS# Precharge: 5

I guess what it all meant, is that its seeing my memory and its suitable speeds in the SPD page, but the Memory page shows what its actually running at, and the speeds are too slow.

So I went into the bios and tried changing stuff. I got a few blue screens when booting, but if I set the first few entries to 4-4-4-12 and then the rest to auto, it boots fine, and in CPU-Z the SPD page is the same, but the Memory page now says:

CAS# Latency: 4.0
    RAS# to CAS#: 4 clocks
    RAS# Precharge: 4 clocks
    Cycle Time (Tras): 12 clocks

So, did I do the right thing? Or have I overclocked it? I just want it to run at its normal speed. So have I done that now, or should I put it back to the way it was? And if it IS right now, how come they where all 5's earlier? Shouldn't it detect this by itself without me having to change the numbers?

Thanks all!

blueball
    I had a discussion with Corsair about this. The memory is advertised as 4-4-4-12 but it will not work automatically at those figures. The SPD defaults to 5-5-5-18!

The answer from Corsair was that these chips have been proved to run at 4-4-4-12 for the long term with no ill effe3cts but to get it to do that you need to set the figures manually and increase the DIMM voltage to 2.1V from 1.8V default. On the DS4 this means pressing CTRL-F1 in the BIOS to get the advanced tweaking functions in the MIT page and then setting voltage to manual instead of auto and set DIMM volts to +0.3.

HTH?

Oh and if you are running it with a C2D chip then timings dont make as much of an impact as memory speed - I run my C2d E6600 at 300 FSB instead of 266 which gives me 2.7GHz instead of default 2.4. The memory runs at 1200 along with the FSB which gives me a mem throughput of between 5.8 and 5.9 GB/sec (according to SiSoft Sandra) and a 16 second 1Meg Superpi run.
    Last edited by blueball; 03-01-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Thanks! I did the Control-F1 thing to change them to the advertised speeds. I am too scared to do any changes to the FSB, especially with some temperature concerns I have at the moment.

Do you reckon I should leave it with what I've done for now then anyway? Its saying 4-4-4-12 in both the bios and CPU-Z, but I was just worried that I might be pushing the RAM and I dont want to do that.

blueball
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobat View Post
    Thanks! I did the Control-F1 thing to change them to the advertised speeds. I am too scared to do any changes to the FSB, especially with some temperature concerns I have at the moment.

Do you reckon I should leave it with what I've done for now then anyway? Its saying 4-4-4-12 in both the bios and CPU-Z, but I was just worried that I might be pushing the RAM and I dont want to do that.
    No your not pushing that RAM at all - it'll take a lot more than that but as I said, latency isn't as much of an issue with C2D processors.

What cooling concerns do you have? I swapped stock C2D cooler for Arctic Cooling Pro 7 and took about 6 or 7 degrees of my temps.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    I have a thread going at the moment, I had bad temps with my stock cooler and then I fitted an Arctic Cooling Pro 7 aswell, but the temps shot up. I have since re-fitted it and put more paste on and now I have mediocre temps

SpeedFan shows great temps, but using IntelTAT it is 46 idle, and 60 when left on 100% load (on both cores) for a while.

This is with the fan running silently, but I the only other option I have is to have it on full blast and then its really loud.

Thanks by the way, Im glad to know atleast my RAM is running properly hehe.

blueball
    I have a thread going at the moment, I had bad temps with my stock cooler and then I fitted an Arctic Cooling Pro 7 aswell, but the temps shot up. I have since re-fitted it and put more paste on and now I have mediocre temps

SpeedFan shows great temps, but using IntelTAT it is 46 idle, and 60 when left on 100% load (on both cores) for a while.

This is with the fan running silently, but I the only other option I have is to have it on full blast and then its really loud.

Thanks by the way, Im glad to know atleast my RAM is running properly hehe.
    I am running an overclocked E6600 as mentioned. I run two cores of folding at home (distributed computing) so my CPU is maxed out 24/7. With the overclock and the Freezer Pro7 my average high temp for the E6600 is 42 Degrees C.

It may be worth reseating your fan and ensure it is the right way round (blowing towards the back of the case). Whn applying heat compound use a good one and put as little as possible on. Basically, just enough to coat the surface without leaving gaps. Use a credit card to smooth it

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    When you say you put more paste on, did you thoroughly remove the original paste, or did you just slap more on? Did you use something good (Artic Silver 5 or Zalman ZM-STG1) or 'free' generic stuff?

Thermal paste needs to be very thin layer and evenly applied to both surfaces, you are bridging tiny gaps and imperfections. Too Much Paste = High Temps.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Thanks guys.

Paste is high quality expensive stuff. Put on with an old credit card, the right amount in the right place.

Old stuff was thoroughly removed first with Akasa Thermal Compound Remover and a pack of lint free cloths.

Fan on the heatsink is facing the back of the case and is spinning properly.

I only put the compound on the CPU though, not on the heatsink. The only problem I encountered is fitting the HSF. 3 corners went in perfectly but one corner went in but when I turned the plastic screw thing, it made a cracking noise rather than a clicking-into-place noise. It looks like its in all the way, but I dont think its as tight as it should be. I can try doing it again (a 3rd time), and if it doesn't work then, I will have to buy another one or get this one replaced.

p.s.
    When putting the compound on, should it be thick enough so that you cant see the metal underneath? First time I did it thick like that, and it came oozing out the sides when I put the heatsink on. Second time, I did a tiny dot in the middle and it was no way near enough. This last time, I put it on about two thirds of the CPU but it was quite thin. I could see the CPU in some of the uneven bits. It was a smooth as I could get it though, without hiring a plasterer. If I do it again though, I could put more on to make it thick enough to not see the metal under and bits. I would just be concerned that it would come out the sides though when I put the HSF on.

---edit---
    I'll probably do it again tomorrow. Dont like doing it when im tired. Im getting good at taking stuff out and putting it back together now... so im not as scared about doing it. I suppose I just need to keep doing it until I get good temps Its definitely not right though at the moment, because although the temps arent dangerous, they are quite bad (60 degrees in IntelTAT at full load) and thats with an Arctic Cooler 7 Pro - which most people get really low temps with.
    Last edited by acrobat; 04-01-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    I generally put on a tiny blob of paste on the base of the heatsink and rub it in with a cloth to fill in the micro gaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    I generally put on a tiny blob of paste on the base of the heatsink and rub it in with a cloth to fill in the micro gaps.
    Wow I might have to try that. Dont you worry about fibres from the cloth getting in the compound? Also, after you rubbed it in, do you have it so thin that you can see the metal through it? Or is it so thick that all you can see is paste?

I reckon my problem is likely to be the last hole when fitting my HSF. I might try to do that hole first next time and make sure its in right. Then do the others. I should really take the whole motherboard out so I can see under it and check the plastic bits are all the way though... but taking the whole thing out would be quite a hassle. If I get a new HSF I will definitely do that. Tomorrow though, I'll just try seating it again.

blueball
    Just remember that as the HS compound heats up it becomes more liquid and will "flow to an extent. This is one of the many reasons that a newly mounted fan takes a while to reach peak efficiency - it takes a while for the compound to level out. As long as you do not leave huge air gaps where air could super heat and damage the CPU you'll be ok.

The thickness should be enough to ensure a good contact across as much as possible of the surface area without having "voids". - LESS IS MORE!!!

Oh and always secure the fixings in two's by securing opposite posts at the same time - do not work your way round the CPU - you should be securing two at once diagonally opposite each other.
    Last edited by blueball; 04-01-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Yeah I do the opposites approach. My compound has only had several hours to heat up, but I think Im a good 10 degrees above what I should be anyway So even a few degrees wont help me.

I'll fit it again tomorrow, and I'll get a chance to see how the last compound I put on spread out. If it didnt reach the edges, I can probably use some more. Im gunna try rubbing it in a bit more this time too, to make sure it fills any little cracks.

My main concern will be getting all 4 corners of the HSF to click in place though. If its still hot after this next try... then I have no idea what is wrong and I'll have to get a new HSF.

This is my compound by the way:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=382305

blueball
    What temps are you getting? use speedfan to have a look it's pretty accurate.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    SpeedFan shows decent temps. Idle its at 30. Full load (using intel TAT to push the load) and its at 49.

The problem is when I used IntelTAT to tell me the temps, because its meant to show a more accurate temperature using the onboard digital thermometre. Its also meant to show the hottest part of the core where as SpeedFan only shows the reading given by the sensor near the chip.

It idles at about 46, and on full load its around 60.

Theres a little program called "CoreTemp" which is meant to test the hottest part of the CPU aswell, and it gives the exact same results as Intel TAT. From what I've read on the net, other people are getting about 10degrees less both idle and under load, when using IntelTAT.
    Last edited by acrobat; 04-01-2007 at 09:06 AM.

blueball
    I downloaded Coretemp to see what my CPU gives. At full load both cores give 51 degrees C.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Thanks for trying that! What are you using to simulate full load?

I'm definitely screwed anyway, cause at full load (using IntelTAT) my "CoreTemp" temperatures said 62 degrees :/

I'll do my final refit of it today sometime, and if its not better after that, I'll have to just buy a new heatsink&fan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information