Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opteron overheating help please!!!

Registered+
    Thanks

opteron overheating help please!!!

Hi!
    My first post here - hello all!!
    I have come with a problem:

I have the following:
    Gigabyte Ga-K8NMF-9 board
    Opteron 165
    2X1Gb Corsair XMS300PT
    WD Raptor
    DVDRW
    Enermax 350W PSU
    3 SATA HDs
    Arctic Freezer 64 Pro HS/fan

Just bought the 165 and i'm running into problems.
    Firstly,the motherboard does not allow changes to the vcore and in Gigabyte's software easytune, vcore is listed at between 1.42 and 1.43V (it flucutuates).
    When CPU and Ram are run at stock, idle temps are below 30 and full load (Orthos) about 55C. When overclocking the CPU (FSB300), idle is still around 30 and full load is 68C.
    I had no issues with my previous AMD 3700SD @ 2.6Ghz where load temps were about 50C and vcore was listed at 1.42-1.43 same as with the opteron.

Is 1.42-1.43 the VID for that CPU?
    Have i got a dud cpu? it's a CCBE165DPMW which is supposed to be a good stepping for clocking.
    Or is the problem with my motherboard and i need to find a motherboard which allows me to lower the vcore?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this one.

Thanks
    pablo2

Thanks
    I have a Opteron 165 Arctic Freezer 64 Pro HS/fan (MX-1 compound), all in a P180 case with 2 fans in the upper chamber.

Bus 244MHz CPU 2196MHz CPU-Z read volts 1.376 set to 1.35 in bios: 30C idle, 41C underload (prime running on both cores)
    (From memory CPU 2.4GHz ~50C underload)

Just looking at the stock level, you have the same HSF, this should be able to keep the cpu at ~40C at load as I've got this at a 400Mhz overclock. Have you tried reseating the HSF, reapply thermal paste - clean the CPU and HSF first.

I sure the higher CPU voltage (1.42-1.43) at stock speed should not cause load temperatures of 55C unless it nearer 1.6 or 1.7V

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have tried removing, cleaning, refitting the heatsink twice and get the same results even with the case open.
    I have just now tried using the stock cooler and everything running at stock and i am getting temps at load of 48C (now with the case open)
    What should i do?

Last edited by pablo2; 08-01-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo2 View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have tried removing, cleaning, refitting the heatsink twice and get the same results.
    I have just now tried using the stock cooler and everything running at stock and i am getting temps of 46C.
    What should i do?

46C at load? keep using the stock cooler that seams ok

46C idle? the motherboard might be supplying too higher voltage
    Last edited by manwithnoname; 08-01-2007 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Registered+
    Thanks
    Sorry - did an edit.
    With the stock cooler and ram/cpu running at stock speeds pf 400/1.8 respectively, the temp at load was 48C
    Now i have increased FSB to 266, put the ram on a 2/1.5 divider and lowered the HTT to 3.0. Again, i am using the stock cooler and i am getting 61C at full load.

Does this mean i have a poor clocking cpu or am i doing something wrong as i've been led to believe that the stepping on this particular opteron should achieve 2.7 quite easily on stock volts and stock cooling?

stats from easytune show the following:
    vcoreA fluctuates between 1.420 and 1.430
    +3.3V - +3.370V
    +12V - +12.110V (but this does fluctuate a bit higher sometimes)
    Last edited by pablo2; 08-01-2007 at 01:47 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Now with same test as my previous post, temp is stable at 63C

Thanks
    It's definitly your vcore which is too high. It should be around 1.35v like manwithnoname said above. Have you updated your bios? Your current bios probably doesn't support 165 and needs to be flashed with the latest one.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply
    I already flashed to the latest bios and i just reflashed it again. Same result.
    Checked gigabyte site and the opteron 165 is listed as supported by this bios revision.
    Not sure what to do now to get the voltage down as there is no setting anywhere in the bios or in easytune to do this.

pablo

Thanks
    does the artic pro get really hot if it does this is a good sign
    as this means there is good contact if not you need to clean the cpu and heatsink and reapply fresh thermal paste also you can move the fan on the artic pro so that it sends air to the back of your case you then need to exhaust the hot air

i have done this on my computer i replaced the fan on my artic with a 120mm and i have a 120mm exhaust fan at the back connected to a 80mm to 120mm adaptor

Thanks
    If i were you pablo. I'd email Gigabyte support and ask them why their latest bios which supports the Opteron 165 is supplying it with an over spec voltage.

I would also consider changing motherboards if you want to oc and be stable. This cpu should be running at 1.35v! vcore adjustment is a basic requirement when ocing.

The fact that your temps are hitting 60+c is causing the instability in the cpu. Lower temps always equals better stability and better oc.

Also, your psu rails look fine

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    I already flashed to the latest bios and i just reflashed it again. Same result.
    Checked gigabyte site and the opteron 165 is listed as supported by this bios revision.
    Not sure what to do now to get the voltage down as there is no setting anywhere in the bios or in easytune to do this.

pablo
    Hmm that's wierd. I'm sorry to say this but I think your mobo is faulty especially when you say you had high vcore reading on 3700+. Vcore for 3700+ is also around 1.35v at stock so 1.43v is again bit too much. Maybe options you have now are,
    1)Contact shop/gigabyte and ask for replacement
    2)Buy new motherboard
    3)Get watercooler for cpu

1))If your mobo is less than a year old then it should be under warranty so contact retailer and ask for a replacement/refund.
    2))Now finding a new 939 mobo that can do 300 is very difficult but you can still get A8N32-SLI-DELUX from some places. If it's too much for you then have a look around at ebay and get decent mobo secondhand. FYI I'm using Gigabyte K8N-SLI and it's running fine at 300, 24/7(but I had to change my chipset cooler)But I personally recommend DFI or ASUS.
    3))Your vcore is higher than normal but it's not that seriously high so probably with good cooling you can get away with it. But it's probably better going for watercool.

So in short, I agree with s_kinton

Also you have matx board that means you probably have smaller case with limited airflow which is maybe also responsible for you temp problem?
    Last edited by notsobig; 08-01-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies:

RobertN - i have tried refitting HSFan 3 times now with the same result. Also tried the stock cooler and getting similar results. I also have 3 case fans and the case is quite large. The issues are occurring even when the case is fully open.

s kinton - i have just emailed gigabyte and will let you know the outcome

notsobig
    1) just contacted gigabyte tech support and waiting for response.
    2) I have bought a DFI RDX200-CF-DR motherboard but cannot get it to work - constant freezing when either running memtest or installing windows (BSOD). The memory is fine and i have also tested with other memory giving the same problems.
    3) Don't really want to go down the watercooling route.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Pablo

Thanks
    You probably have to enter memory timings manually. I heard DFI boards are real nightmare to setup properly but once you get it going it runs like a champ. You can usually get good setup help at dfi street forum but unfortunately looks like they are having problem right now. Which memory do you have?

...Oops sorry I found the info.

....No I don't. lol Are you sure the model no is correct? I can't find it anywhere even at Corsair website?
    Last edited by notsobig; 08-01-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by notsobig View Post
    You probably have to enter memory timings manually. I heard DFI boards are real nightmare to setup properly but once you get it going it runs like a champ. You can usually get good setup help at dfi street forum but unfortunately looks like they are having problem right now.
    Thanks - a new dfi site is up and running and i am posting there at the moment.
    I tried setting my memory timings in the bios (3-3-3-8) and had the same results.

pablo

Registered+
    Thanks
    Memory is:
    Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MY-039-CS

pablo

Thanks
    Oh I see, good luck then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information