Thread: 1800xp vs 1.4 Althlon

Thanks

1800xp vs 1.4 Althlon

I was wondering whats the watts heat output of the 1800xp over the 1.4 or 1ghz Athlons. I'm seeing the 1800xp run at the same temps (35-45) as a 1ghz athlon in my small Terminator SSF PC. The 1.4 (actually the 1ghz overclocked) runs a lot hotter, (43-53) as much as 10 degees hotter. I'm assuming even though its a PC 133 SDRAM system that the 1800xp should be a lot faster.

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    that athlonXP 1800 pr rating either refers to the speed equalled by a 1800mhz p4, or a 'theoretical' 1800mhz t-bird (not sure which, dont care which, dont want to be banned ), so yes even tho its only 133mhz faster, it will perform much better due to the quantispeed technology and other cool stuff...

the pc133 ram will be a bit of a bottleneck, but i guess you know that, but seriously consider upgrading to some form of DDR motherboard (nforce2 mobos can be had for around £50 (depending on the type) ..

mark

Thanks
    Its just that I have the terminator already. It has 512mb of ram and a 120gb HD and a fast CDRW. Seems I need to spend a lot of money to get an ATX case, psu, DDR ram, motherboard, lan card, just to switch to DDR. It is only a 2nd PC afterall. I was thinking I could use it a Digital VCR. So the fact that its small and very quiet is a big plus. When funds allow I might upgrade it to a bigger box. Currently I use it as test machine and a test server. Which is a job is does really well. I modded the fans to make it quiet and it just a handy little box. The shuttles are more expensive and noiser. But they have more functionality so I may upgrade to one of them in the future.

Actually the 1800xp is running at 35 degrees most of the time. Which is nice and cool. I'd say only running games on it would push the temps higer. But then you wouldn't be playing games on this box with its dire integrated gfx.
    Last edited by sparky191; 16-12-2003 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    fair enough then, if its not your main rig theres no need for you to spend loads on unnecesary upgrades if you are going to use it as a VCR you might want a second harddrive, tho it depends whether you will be burning what you make to cd, or just leave it on the harddrive

mark

Thread Information