Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 5685WLMI

Thanks

Acer Aspire 5685WLMI

For whatever reason, lately I've wanted to purchase a laptop to replace/supplement my ageing desktop. I will have to take out a loan of £1000 to make a purchase, and am not keen on going over this budget (I'm very debt conscious). I will mostly be using the laptop for my college course, browsing the internet, ripping music onto my ipod and some moderate gaming. I'm not going to be constantly lugging it about over long distance, so portability isn't too big an issue. I just want to be able to work in different rooms in the house, and perhaps take my laptop round my mates (in the car) for the odd game of Football Manager.

Having looked at a load of laptops from a load of different manufacturers, the one I've set my heart on is this new model Acer.

It has a GeForce Go 7600 SE with 256mb of dedicated RAM, Core 2 Duo processer @ 2GHz, 2gb RAM, 160gb HDD, 15.4" screen, 8x DVD writer, bluetooth, wireless LAN etc. Having looked played around on one in comet the other day, it seems suitably stylish and pleasant to use. (I had linked to the specs on Comet's website but being new here I can't post URL's yet)

Being a new model I've not seen any reviews of it as yet. Anyone have any comments on whether I should go for this fella or mention any alternatives to it? At this kind of price range I've not seen such a well specced laptop, obviously there may be a few compromises in quality but as long as it doesn't blow up in my face after a few weeks I can make that compromise..

Sorry to ramble, my excitement is giving me verbal diarrhoea

Thanks
    I'm considering it too... but I'm thinking about the ASUS FJP more now. The hd is smaller, but the graphics card is better as is the screen. I have an Acer 2026 and like it and am not too keen on the build of the newer models. Did the 5685 that you looked at have a built in TV tuner? The info on the web conflits.

Thanks
    the version from comet does not have the tv tuner. ive just bought one, tho still considering if i care, or if im gonna take it back and buy one which does.

Thanks
    • atmadden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 Neo2 FR
      • CPU:
      • QX9650@4.2ghz 420x10
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballisitix PC5300 C3@840 4 4 4 12
      • Storage:
      • Maxtor 250gb SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 8800GTS OC 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
    Quote Originally Posted by shindig View Post
    I'm considering it too... but I'm thinking about the ASUS FJP more now. The hd is smaller, but the graphics card is better as is the screen. I have an Acer 2026 and like it and am not too keen on the build of the newer models. Did the 5685 that you looked at have a built in TV tuner? The info on the web conflits.
    What spec is the Asus you are looking at? I am using that Acer laptop now bought from comet for £850 couldn't find anything for the same price with this spec as decent graphics seem to be over a £1000 in a laptop! Also with the T7200 cpu with 4mb cache as well.
    Core i7 860 @ 4ghz
    MSI P55 GD65 4gb Gskill Ripjaw 2xAsus 5770 1003/5600 Corsair HX620 psu http://trust.hexus.net/user_profile.php?user=10950

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shindig View Post
    I've seen the same conflicting info regarding the TV card. As far as I know, it doesn't come with one as standard. However, once the model has been out a few months, either the price of the laptop will come down or retailers might offer a free TV tuner in some kind of package deal. I'm not particularly fussed personally, tho it would be a nice extra. Mind you, even if you have to buy a TV card separately, the 5685 still works out cheaper than a lot of laptops with inferior specs and no TV card.

Finally, just for a laugh..

To prove how old my desktop is, I bought Company of Heroes today and installed it just now. Completing the performance test on the default automatic settings, I got an average framerate of 10.7fps, maximum of about 38fps and a minimum of around... wait for it... 1fps, and that was with all but one of the settings on minimum
    Last edited by gt81; 19-12-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks
    i got 71fps on my 5685 on hl2: lost coast with hdr on and everything on full, so its good

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vengefuldeath87 View Post
    i got 71fps on my 5685 on hl2: lost coast with hdr on and everything on full, so its good
    Cool

I was meant to get one on Thursday; went into the Norwich branch of Comet to see if they had any in stock. They said they had 3, so I dashed off and reserved one online and waited the hour, only to find out when I got back that their stock level had only been 2 and they both went just before my order. I wasn't pleased. However, I rang them and ordered one and paid for it so I should be getting it on Tuesday

Thanks
    How much did it cost you it is £879.99 . .

Im looking for a new laptop, the graphics card isnt listed on the comet website for some reason.

The toshiba is £849.99 with 256 dedicated and 200gb hd but slower processor.

would you guys say the acer one is better?

Thanks
    bah, i paid £950 just under 3 weeks ago. Stupid price changes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silentriver View Post
    How much did it cost you it is £879.99 . .

Im looking for a new laptop, the graphics card isnt listed on the comet website for some reason.

The toshiba is £849.99 with 256 dedicated and 200gb hd but slower processor.

would you guys say the acer one is better?
    Aye, £879.99 from Comet website/call centre, £899.99 in store (but be aware I intially had issues with their in-store stock levels as this is a new model). That's cheaper than everywhere else I've looked to date, cheaper even than the 5683/5684 models are going on most websites.

Which Toshiba is that? I did look at some Satellites but in the end opted for the Acer, again, I thought it had the best all-round specs for what I wanted to use it for, and am quite pleased with it so far. The slot-loading DVD drive is rather nifty

The 5685 has a GeForce Go 7600 SE with 256mb's dedicated RAM. I was able to play a FEAR: Extraction Point demo with most of the detail levels set to high, ditto with a Medieval 2: Total War demo, and both were fairly comfortable. Naturally, tinkering with a few settings should produce better framerates. Company of Heroes, on the default settings (in which most of the detail levels set to high), indicated a 25fps average/60fps maximum on the performance test, and that mainly comprises an animated cut-scene rather than the in-game graphics, which shouldn't be as demanding. Obviously, for gaming it's not going to be as good as a desktop or dedicated gaming laptop but the price/performance ratio for this kind of laptop seems pretty impressive.
    Last edited by gt81; 03-01-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vengefuldeath87 View Post
    bah, i paid £950 just under 3 weeks ago. Stupid price changes.
    Aye, it's a bugger, but such is the way with computer technology. Couldn't believe it when I saw it, whether it's a limited-time offer I don't know (950 is still among the cheapest I've seen among web vendors, most of whom still indicate they haven't any in stock) but now I'll be able to get the Canon Pixma MP600 printer I've wanted for ages with the rest of my loan

Thanks
    should i save £200 and go for the 5684 model at £679.99 ??

look to be losing .17 processer possibly some hd space and the graphics it would be 128 dedicated apposed to 256???

the tv options im not sure, if i find that there is no tv options in the 5685 maybe i should go for the 5684???

any advice

edit. .

sorry it was th 5634. . .

ended up going for it . .eek. loads of money. just hope it was the right choice.
    Last edited by silentriver; 06-01-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: updating

Thanks
    Can anyone tell me if the aspire 5685 from comet has firewire
    laptopsdirect spec for 5684 says the 5684 has
    but comet site says firewire - not featured.

Also comet says PC card slots - not featured -
    can't find a spec on the acer site for 5685.

5684 spec on laptops direct says PCMCIA Type II Slot

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amt01 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the aspire 5685 from comet has firewire
    laptopsdirect spec for 5684 says the 5684 has
    but comet site says firewire - not featured.

Also comet says PC card slots - not featured -
    can't find a spec on the acer site for 5685.

5684 spec on laptops direct says PCMCIA Type II Slot
    Yes, it has a FireWire port and PCMCIA Type II. Comet have made a pretty poor listing for the 5685 on the website.
    Last edited by gt81; 10-01-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks for that info - very helpful

Should have asked at the same time but >
    the S684 has
    Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go7600SE supporting 256MB TurboCache

and I know you say above - but according to Comet who I've emailed now (not just looking at their site) the
    S685 has a shared graphics card - I'm asking you because I don't trust Comets knowledge of their own product. Do you actually have an S685

I was hoping to use this to do some video editing using adobe premier - do you think it'll be up to the job?

and lastly do you get a free vista upgrade?
    not sure I'd want one mind you - user testing for microsoft

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amt01 View Post
    Thanks for that info - very helpful

Should have asked at the same time but >
    the S684 has
    Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go7600SE supporting 256MB TurboCache

and I know you say above - but according to Comet who I've emailed now (not just looking at their site) the
    S685 has a shared graphics card - I'm asking you because I don't trust Comets knowledge of their own product. Do you actually have an S685

I was hoping to use this to do some video editing using adobe premier - do you think it'll be up to the job?

and lastly do you get a free vista upgrade?
    not sure I'd want one mind you - user testing for microsoft
    Aye, the 5685 has an nVidia GeForce Go7600SE, but instead of using Turbocache like the card in the 5684, which steals some system memory, it has 256mb of dedicated RAM. I expect it should be up to video editing (have never done any myself), though obviously you're not going to have the power of a desktop. I've been able to play games like Company of Heroes and FEAR with a lot of settings on high so it's no slouch in the graphics department as far as laptops go.

Yep, there's an upgrade to Vista in the box, free as far as the software goes but I think there's some kind of small charge somewhere (I forget what for). But that's the same for all these upgrades being handed out atm.
    Last edited by gt81; 11-01-2007 at 10:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information