• PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A-10
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC MultiSync - 24WMGX3
    I agree with the what most people have said and would also recommend Chillblast. They may be a bit more expensive at times but also stock some more niche stuff

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    I forgot about chillblast, yes, they are good allrounders, and if you do spot something that they have got and they are dearer, ring them up and often, they will sort something out for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    I would not recommend Dabs, after some bad experiences a couple of years ago.
    To be honest, if it wasn't for the free delivery offer, and the apparent support from Hexus members in the recent years, I would never had given Scan a second look after my own bad experience a couple years back: Damaged goods on arrival, 3 weeks for their RMA team to recognise the problem, and issued a late refund when I asked a replacement - something I saw at the time as a way to cut the delivery cost.

But they've been pretty reliable for my last few transactions with them, so I can give them a nod so far. But then, my own experience suggests that I can give a nod to most suppliers. That was the only time I had to deal with DoA goods, and while OcUK has a bad reputation, I have received the goods in good condition so far and end up dealing with the manufacturers if something go wrong anyway (since it's past the date retailers take upon themselves to fix the issue).

As for Dabs, I am not sure. Years ago (~10), I used them almost exclusively. I think they were the first online hardware retailers I've ever used, and I've never had a problem with them. My last purchase was a lil over a year ago, and again, fast service for Christmas time. But I don't use them that often now,

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nimblegimble View Post
    Well call me Mister Dumb then coz up to this point I've simply trusted word of mouth.

Anyway, got me some suppliers so thanks to all of you who helped with that.
    Simulated annealing is the type of machine learning i was refering too, more than inteligence its about finding things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_annealing

rather intresting if u like those sorts of things!

What i was trying too say was use any search method you can, and try new things, not simply say that people are stupid for not (mearly they will be missing out).
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    Well sometimes you can't even trust personal experience when it comes to online retailers. For example I would have recommended CpuCity without thinking twice about it a good while ago. But look how that turned out in the end....

Thanks
    I usually use local small suppliers for my gear but the choice is limited. Have used ebuyer in the past and found them ok till I received someone else's order that it became a 'mare' as their 'e notes' do not work very well. Ended up having to phone up at listen to an overbearing operator who was not very willing to let me tell her what my problem was!. anyway , got it sorted .

AUT also very good.

Will be trying Scan in future as a lot of positive comments on this forum.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!
    1) Scan
    2) Novatech
    3) Ebuyer

Id also give YOYOTech a look, they are up and comming and have some very competitive prices.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Must say bought bits from microdirect not had any probs so was i lucky ??

Thanks
    • Lakeuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P965-DS4
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb standard spec
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 250Gb, 1 x 160Gb plus external 320Gb for backups
      • Graphics card(s):
      • fanless 7600GS
      • PSU:
      • 450watt standard came with case
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata II
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 940BF - 19" 2ms
      • Internet:
      • Demon 8Mb
    In no order:-

• Scan if I'm passing Bolton (not keen on the delivery company)
    • Dabs - oh for wanting the days when they had a counter in Bolton you could go between them and Scan for everything at the right price
    • Ebuyer for price and when I'm in no urgency to get my items
    • Amazon for the odd occasions where they under cut everyone for items like monitors plus I was impress there returns service which makes me happy to use them again

Would like to try other spots but they've always had the good prices and items I've wanted in stock

Thanks
    the main one i use is scan and have to say they are very good. and also have had no problems with delivery from them.
    occasionally i use ebuyer and can say i have had no problems with them either.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    To be honest, if it wasn't for the free delivery offer, and the apparent support from Hexus members in the recent years, I would never had given Scan a second look after my own bad experience a couple years back: Damaged goods on arrival, 3 weeks for their RMA team to recognise the problem, and issued a late refund when I asked a replacement - something I saw at the time as a way to cut the delivery cost.
    I have met a couple of people who have had bad experiences, one person had to threaten scan with legal action in order to get a refund they where entitled to. Story is, that back when scan started their cash flow was very tight, so they delayed issuing refunds just to keep their head above water. That is a long time ago though.

As for Dabs, I am not sure. Years ago (~10), I used them almost exclusively. I think they were the first on line hardware retailers I've ever used, and I've never had a problem with them. My last purchase was a lil over a year ago, and again, fast service for Christmas time. But I don't use them that often now,
    I used to use Dabs a lot myself until about 3 years ago. Their pricing was keen, the delivery charge was only £3, and their web ordering system was very flexable. Compared with them, scan where a bit more expensive, and the £10 delivery charge really stung if the order was less than £100.

However, just before Christmas 2003, they changed their ordering system, raised the delivery charge and stopped taking phone calls, A couple of colleges had frustrating times trying to chase up presents they had ordered. I had similar and very annoying time a few months later trying to RMA a dead motherboard, and a CPU that was sent out wrongly. Since then I made it my policy only to deal with e-commerce companies that also publish a telephone number that works.

On the other hand when I had a similar mis-delivered CPU from scan they where very helpfull and sorted it out quickly.

...and while OcUK has a bad reputation, I have received the goods in good condition so far and end up dealing with the manufacturers if something go wrong anyway (since it's past the date retailers take upon themselves to fix the issue).
    I think you have been lucky, One friend of mine claims he was defrauded out of about £200 by them when they sent him faulty parts and then refused to refund him. There are also a number of stories floating around here about second hand items being sold on as new. One person left a copy of his invoice inside a box when he sent a faulty item back to OcUk. A couple of weeks later he got a phone call from the next unfortunate customer who had received the same item as new from them.

DR
    Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information