Thread: Laptop questions

Thanks

Laptop questions

Right I am planning on getting a laptop early in the New Year and just really want advice with regards to where to buy / warranty. I have searched back over the forums a bit and noted some of the advice already given and in particular was interested by Agent saying he found Pc-world to be the most competitive to buy from. I would tend to agree, and I am inclined to buy from there due to the better value for money than can be found with Dell, Evesham etc. The only question I have really is how reliable are laptops. Pc-world have the standard one year’s manufacturer warranty and I want to know if it's enough. I'm not paying out £300 for 3 years extended warranty because that's a complete rip-off when the laptop itself costs around £900. PC's are easy, if something goes wrong it's fairly easy with the knowledge to fix with laptops I'm sure it's not so easy. I like to think I have the knowledge to replace most parts of my pc should any of them fail, but with a laptop I wouldn't have a clue.

To sum up what I am asking is what experience have people had with laptops, what's their average life cycle and are parts easy to find and replace should anything go wrong outside of warranty.

Cheers guys

Thanks
    • da_ging's system
      • CPU:
      • E5200 @ 3.75Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB kingston HyperX 8500
      • Storage:
      • 2*WD640gb in Raid 0 +500gb 32mb seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 Maxcore OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650w TX
      • Case:
      • Stacker 831 black
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" fujitsu 3230t LCD 1920*1080
      • Internet:
      • 8mb
    dells have 3 year warranty (afaik) and are easy to get spares for

acer's also have 3 year warranty
    [Edit] meant Asus, although that seems to only be 2yr now

a 3 year warranty is probably a good idea as if it does go wrong it will save a lot of hassle and money
    Last edited by da_ging; 18-12-2003 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks
    I was looking at Acer on Dabs earlier. Some models are shown as 2 years warranty and some as 1. Can't seem to find any as 3 although that could just be Dabs usual poor product descriptions, and a quick look through Acer's site didn't find much either. Dell do have 3 year warranty, but I have heard very mixed reviews about their laptops, especially ergonomics are support wise so I'm reluctant to go with them. Plus the fact that there is a lot more available elsewhere for less.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Look, for value for money, and for a 3 year warranty, go to Dell, but don't use the main store, go to the Dell Outlet http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/de...=dfo&l=en&c=uk. This section features new machines built for customers who then, say, cancel the order, or where the spec was wrongly assembled for the customer. Look for the Latitude range, as these come with 3 year warranties anyway (plus if something does go wrong you're talking to corporate support who actually know stuff). The Inspiron range are good little machines but only have 1 year's warranty as standard. At the moment, they've got X300 ultralights starting at around £680 ex VAT. Ergonomically, nothing wrong with Dell machines - they're not the prettiest, but that's all.

Thread Information