I've just finished building the following new rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHZ
    MSI P6N nForce 680 Pci-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Geil 2GB PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Chan
    BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
    Corsair HX 620W ATX 2.2. PSU
    Lian-Li PC V1000 Plus Case

Its all running well at following windows temps:

CPU: 37 to 48 degrees (range during NVidias stablilty test)
    GPU: 53 degrees

The Lian case has three fans, one at the front of the case, one with a baffle which wraps over the CPU and one on sliding rails which helps the GPU. I'm powering these cases from the Corsair HX...is there any reason why I should power them from the MotherBoard ?

The CPU fan is stock and is being powered by motherboard.

Should I position the CPU case fan baffle as near to the CPU fan as possible ?

Also, should I position the sliding GPU case fan nearer the back of the BFG card or the front ?

There is also a small fan clipped over the Motherboard Heat Pipe...also stock...and powered by mother board.

I've no complaints, and I think the temps are resonable enough for stock cooling. But the overall fan sound produced by the rig is a bit loud for my liking. I believe this is mainly due to CPU stock fan so will get a quieter Artic one.

I know I can resolve all this by trial and then monitoring the temps for reduction etc but, well, if someone has a simlar case then perhapps they can shed some light before I get my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    • Reapsy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PB5-E
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E8600
      • Memory:
      • 2048MB Corsair DDR2 5400
      • Storage:
      • 150GB Raptor, 750 GB WD, 80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
      • Case:
      • A big black one
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 56kbps ADSL
    Post some pics

Registered+
    Thanks
    Looks pricey, how much did you pay?

Thanks
    1372.69 GBP inc VAT. I think that works out to be circa 2000 Euro. Bought everything from overclockers in the UK. Very pleased with their service, building the rig was simple enough, the case is excellent, so is the PSU for that matter.

Just trying to find out about CPU/GPU stock cooling operating temps and fan controls.

Banned
    Thanks
    You Should power you fans from the motherboard so you can use the thermal monitering options in the bios

Thanks
    I agree re CPU fans....but what about the case fans and the graphics card ?

I'm not sure the case fans make a difference do they unless there's some case fan monitoring software which I don't think there is.

As for powering the graphics card, currently i'm using supply from PSU but I could use supply from Motherboard. Would the latter vary the GPU fan speed ?

Sorry for going on, but its a tad confusing to say the least.

Thanks
    Nice PC, though im sure you could of saved money, not using OCUK, they over charge pretty much on everything.

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21 View Post
    Nice PC, though im sure you could of saved money, not using OCUK, they over charge pretty much on everything.
    yeah this is true except they are one of the few companies whose delivery charges to Ireland and Northern Ireland are reasonable. People always bang on about Scan on these forums but when it comes to delivery to Northern Ireland they are atrocious, about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

Saying that i've found Ebuyers delivery service to be quite reasonable too.
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

glaciation appreciation frazered's Avatar
    Thanks
    • frazered's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1)
      • CPU:
      • q6600 @ 3.06ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB crucial
      • Storage:
      • 4tb of hitachis
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2007wfp
      • Internet:
      • BeUnlimited 16dn/1.2up attn 35db
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21 View Post
    irrelevant now

To the OP

If the fans are noisy have a check with the side off to see which are the culprits. I have a MSI board and the northbridge fan did become annoying, I used a zalman fanmate 2 to slow it down

The case fans off the psu is entirely normal, although if you want to control them you may have to look at a fan controller solution

as for positioning I would have a test and look for the optimal performance re temps and quietness, you may not need all the fans as well...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by revol68 View Post
    People always bang on about Scan on these forums but when it comes to delivery to Northern Ireland they are atrocious, about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

I do agree that prices are high for delievries to Ireland and this is due to what we currently get charged to send products there. We are currently looking into cheaper and secure ways to accomadate for this but along with all the other upgrades to our warehouse and extensions first things come first. I just hope people can realise that we can not just click our fingers and make things happen. We all know that you can never please everybody no matter what you do but I hope those can understand that we are always improving and sometimes you have to take one step back before you can go forward.

So when people Bang On about Scan you may find there is a reason for this and I hope you can understand that maybe as a well respected organisation just because we can not meet your requirements you can see that we do understand.

I'd better move that fireguard before it melts
    Last edited by Mossy; 24-01-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    yeah this is true except they are one of the few companies whose delivery charges to Ireland and Northern Ireland are reasonable. People always bang on about Scan on these forums but when it comes to delivery to Northern Ireland they are atrocious, about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

Saying that i've found Ebuyers delivery service to be quite reasonable too.
    Not this again
    Why just pick on Scan?, why not make an entire list of doom for people that have delivery prices you dont approve of in this thread ?

Its one thing having this is the smartshoppers section, but managing to bring it in to a thread where a new member is asking for hardware help is silly.

Common, I know you're annoyed over it, but unless there is genuinely a reason to bring this up, lets just let it lie
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Sorry, didn't mean to rock boats....I bought the stuff from Overclockers because they had everything I needed, good stuff description on their site and some good user forums as well.

I've never heard of scan before it was mentioned in this post as i'm new to these forums.

But as the man said, its purely academic now....i'm happy with what i've got and what I paid for it.

Did some tests last night, BF2 at 1600 * 1200 and everything on HIGH. It really rocked yet CPU and CPU fan temps hardly moved from 38/40 and 52/54 respectively.

I think you're right, I probably don't need all the fans. I think i'll get an Artic for the CPU and remove the CPU case fan and baffle and maybe the GPU case fan as well. Eitherway, i've loads of scope for overclocking and this is an overclockers rig.

Also, it should age well as I can shove in a quad core, two more gif of ram and a second BFG 8800GTS in SLI mode at some stage in the future, hell I can even drop in a third BFG 8800GTS is needed. So I don't expect to be upgrading anything else for at least 4 to 5 years - if not longer (which is pretty much how long each of my rigs have lasted since 1991).

So, i'm very happy with the setup, very cool and no need for water cooling, very fast and very very good looking :-)

Thanks
    Yeap, it's a very nice build and it should last you that long no problem. Plenty of options for the future.

Thanks
    If you aren't overclocking, and the GPU fan exhausts out of the case, you really only need intake at front and out at the back.

GPU/CPU side fans are not necessary unless you are overclocking, or want an extra exhaust for hot GPU air. Get the arctic for the GPU, wont disappoint on the noise side.

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Not this again
    Why just pick on Scan?, why not make an entire list of doom for people that have delivery prices you dont approve of in this thread ?

Its one thing having this is the smartshoppers section, but managing to bring it in to a thread where a new member is asking for hardware help is silly.

Common, I know you're annoyed over it, but unless there is genuinely a reason to bring this up, lets just let it lie
    the reason Scan get it in the neck is because it's a victim of it's own success, that and it's especially annoying seeing you smug gits over there getting free delivery. Every time someone from Ireland posts up an item they bought from a retailer they are met with posts about how it's cheaper at scan and they could use the free postage. I'm merely pointing out that whilst the rest of the UK might be get great service from Scan the rest of us don't.
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

Thanks
    the reason Scan get it in the neck is because it's a victim of it's own success, that and it's especially annoying seeing you smug gits over there getting free delivery. Every time someone from Ireland posts up an item they bought from a retailer they are met with posts about how it's cheaper at scan and they could use the free postage. I'm merely pointing out that whilst the rest of the UK might be get great service from Scan the rest of us don't.
    How can we a victim of our own sucess? do you actually know what you are talking about when you quote this or are you actually looking to make up some excuse because at the moment (see last post on this thread) we are not entirely meeting your needs. Or maybe it is the fact that most Hexus users enjoy free delivery in which you do not have the benefit. What do you mean by service? please explain as before I thought it was the high delivery cost you had to point out, So our delivery cost may be higher but that does not mean you would not receive good service, am I wrong?

Regards

Thread Information