• Case labs SMA8
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XB270HU
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre 80/20

AMD Retail Fans

I'm just curious as to how the AMD Retail heatsinks fair against the likes of volcano 11's and what not.

Does anyone know of any reviews or have any experience comparing the AMD's to other heatsinks ? Currently, my XP 2200 retail fan running at a quiet 4800-5000 Rpm keeps me at 40-43 degrees under load.

I am Just wondering if they can do the job as well as other fans out there, or if there is a significant difference between AMD fans and others.

I would be interested to see how a 2500 Barton@3200 with a AMD fan does vs other solutions. I am not looking to get a new fan, i am just curious that is all

Thanks
    i have recently brought, though not put together, a 2500 xp chip. however, i went for oem and a aero 7 collermaster fan as apparently would be better for o/c'd 2500's.

my xp2000 at present runs at an astounding 60 oc and i have even upgraded to 4 case fans to! i've probably set em up wroing or something.

the amd fan was ok though, but i couldn't o/c my 2000 as pally. and quiet to.

Thanks
    Basically, if you are not overclocking, or looking for a quite system you may as well not bother upgrading the HSF.

If you want quite, then go for a 120mm fan, for overclocking get a copper HS and a large CFM fan to keep it cool.

But the HSF is only as good as the ambeint temperature, make you have good case air flow first.

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: AMD Retail Fans

Originally posted by TooTay
    I'm just curious as to how the AMD Retail heatsinks fair against the likes of volcano 11's and what not.

Does anyone know of any reviews or have any experience comparing the AMD's to other heatsinks ? Currently, my XP 2200 retail fan running at a quiet 4800-5000 Rpm keeps me at 40-43 degrees under load.

I am Just wondering if they can do the job as well as other fans out there, or if there is a significant difference between AMD fans and others.

I would be interested to see how a 2500 Barton@3200 with a AMD fan does vs other solutions. I am not looking to get a new fan, i am just curious that is all
    The last AMD-supplied fans I had were standard CoolerMaster fans, and they were perfectly adequate for running at stock speeds, and I used them for moderate overclocking and had no temperature problems.

If you are going for heavy overclocking, then maybe something a bit heavier-duty might be in order but .......

....and this is just an opinion ......

.... there is a lot of kiddology goes on with HSF's. Much of the market for fans (and heatsinks) is about style, and "bragging rights" rather than technical need. Yes, some fans and heatsinks are better at cooling than others, but I question how much they are needed in MOST circumstances.

My perspective is this. If you run a processor at 60 degrees, even 70 degrees, it is still WELL within manufacturer's tolerances. You MIGHT shorten the life a bit if it runs at high temperatures but PERSONALLY I've never had a processor die from long-term use at high temperatures, because I've always upgraded long before any degradation in life expectancy became an issue.

If there is any documented evidence of the effect on life expectancy of running a CPU at various temperatures, I've certainly not seen it. There is a theoretical effect on life expectancy, but what does it translate to in practice?

Sure, if the heatsink isn't properly installed, you can cook a (AMD) CPU pretty quickly. If the fan dies, then likewise, you can cook a CPU. But outside of that kind of incident, I remain unconvinced that expensive fan/heatsink combo's are anything more than marketing con's for anyone not indulging in heavy duty overclocking. They're a fashion accessory, a bit like a large spoiler, go-faster stripes and a twin-pipe exhaust "extension" on a Fiesta 1100

/I'll now sit back and get ready to duck the rotten eggs and overripe tomatoes

Thanks
    saracen i agree with you there.

as you said, unless overclocking, anything else is overkill.

as for temps.. when overclocking a chip, some dont like even going to 50 degree's!, but if you're overclocking, you might as well get watercooling instead. its cheaper, quieter and more efficient than high end air cooling!

Banned
    Thanks
    on Komplett theres an advert at the top of each page that says "sssssshhhhh ... ITS THE FAN"

it looks like a jet engine... wtf is that????

td5
    Thanks
    Originally posted by 3Dfx
    on Komplett theres an advert at the top of each page that says "sssssshhhhh ... ITS THE FAN"

it looks like a jet engine... wtf is that????
    Coolermaster Jet7+ , its an Coolermaster Aero7+ with an adjusted fan I think...better not hold me to it.

Oh, and its not an improvement from the last review I read

Thread Information