Thread: "Error Loading Operating System"

Thanks

"Error Loading Operating System"

My normal copy of Windows XP on my primary HD monged up after putting in a new mobo, so I reinstalled it on my other hard disk which hadnt had windows installed on it before.

The installation seemed to go OK, it was all installed and it loaded up XP fine after installation and setup. But when I rebooted it now says 'Error Loading Operating System' in DOS when it should start loading.

ANy ideas why..?

Cheers

Thanks
    Which drive is the bios set to boot from mate? If it is still set to the naff drive then that may be the problem...
    Beer is life, life is good!

Thanks
    no its set up to boot from the new install.

i did a google search and some people have found that doing an 'fdisk' fixes the problem. What does fdisk do? Does it format the disc, cos I cant afford to lose the data on this drive.

Thanks
    fdisk is a DOS tool for partitioning drives, maybe somthing is wrong with a partition ?
    If you delete your partition with data on it, you will loose the data on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    fdisk creates and modifies partitions on your hard drives. It is possible that your master boot record (mbr) has become damaged in which case you can use the command:

fdisk /mbr

which will repair it. But from what you have said, it doesn't sound as though the that is the case.

You can use fdisk to view partition information.

However, don't make any changes to the partitions with fdisk as any data on them will be deleted.
    Beer is life, life is good!

Thanks
    Originally posted by jamin
    fdisk creates and modifies partitions on your hard drives. It is possible that your master boot record (mbr) has become damaged in which case you can use the command:

fdisk /mbr

which will repair it. But from what you have said, it doesn't sound as though the that is the case.

You can use fdisk to view partition information.

However, don't make any changes to the partitions with fdisk as any data on them will be deleted.
    fdisk /mbr was the command that others mentioned fixing this problem. But will it do anything to my data?

Cheers

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    no that command should not - unless anything goes wrong such as a power surge etc. whenever you mess about with partitions etc you should always be prepared to lose data as it can happen - even though it is unlikely

Thanks
    didnt work

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    there are a number of possibilities here

check you have no disks in drives, make sure you're set to boot from the correct drive and that one of the partitions on that drive is correctly set as active, try accessing the partitions via the recovery console (boot the xp cd), try removing all disk drives other than the one you want to boot from, try repartitioning & reformatting, amke sure that the boot partition is the first on the drive (or if not the first, that it's within the first 8Gb or 32Gb of the disk)

/me breathes

--jo

Thanks
    after running fdisk /mbr it now says 'operating system not found' when booting. gonna try reinstalling it so it can at least load up once, and then i can back up the c: drive before reformatting and doing a fresh install....

Thanks
    well the 2nd disk install booted up after install but ive not tried rebooting it since. this is what it did last time before it got the error.

So i now have access to my c: drive (the old one) which has all my windows settings on. I want to back all this up on the d: drive so I can copy it back after a format and fresh install.
    Is it as simple as copy and pasting the Documents and Settings folder, or is there more to it? I tried using the transfer settings tool but it cant copy from one pc to itself.

Any ideas..?

cheers

Thanks
    well the second install seems to have it working... dunno why, but as long as it stays working, I dont care

Would still like to transfer across my old settings if anyone knows how to do it properly..?

Thanks for all your help folk!
    Last edited by PeteW; 02-08-2003 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks
    To transfer settings from one windows installation to another go to:
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Use it to backup your old settings, then again to reatore them on the new installation
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    thats what i tried but i couldnt work out how to transfer from one hard disk to another on the same PC. It wants you to connect 2 PCs via a cable or to back it up on one and restore on the other, which I cant do...

Thread Information