Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why should i not go AMD?

Thanks
    Yes, the Core2Duo will outperform any current AMD chip.

This does not make it the wise choice, as AMD have YET TO RELEASE their equivalent technology.

The smart thing to do would be to wait for AMDs next tech release, and decide on AMD then =P

Thanks
    • tigerboyce's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe/OC Palm
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8Ghz + Titan Fenrir
      • Memory:
      • 6gb (3x2) OCZ Reapers DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 690gb total WD caviars
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 320mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E228WFP 22"
      • Internet:
      • aol :/
    Or just get intel cheaper lol

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by squall-loire View Post
    This does not make it the wise choice, as AMD have YET TO RELEASE their equivalent technology.
    That's daft AMD released their equivalent technology before Core 2 Duo even came out - it was called the AMD X2 and it was the first true dual core desktop processor.

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    That's daft AMD released their equivalent technology before Core 2 Duo even came out - it was called the AMD X2 and it was the first true dual core desktop processor.
    true, amd beat intel first round, their dual cores sucked - they just got a second go at it and made core 2 duo thats all. but right now the core 2 duo is the best option, even if its predecessor sucked,... hard.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)
    Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    after am2 i guess socket F, but i agree, they are switching sockets like mad, and its really gay because then you have to end up upgrading all components to get the latest ones.
    Socket AM2 is the first update to the AMD platform since S939 came out in June 2004. Socket F is the server equivalent, they can hardly bring out one without the other.

Next major socket is AM3 which is a few years away and will be compatible so no need to upgrade.

A new socket every few years is not my definition of "like mad".

I am of course ignoring the indeed fairly gay 4x4 platform, but so is everyone else so I feel justified in that

Much though I like the Core2 Duo CPU, I think Intel should be slapped for releasing something that wouldn't fit into motherboards purchased a matter of weeks before the launch despite having the same socket number of pins and name. But then they did that with Pentium D and the extremes as well so we can hardly be suprised.

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Socket AM2 is the first update to the AMD platform since S939 came out in June 2004. Socket F is the server equivalent, they can hardly bring out one without the other.

Next major socket is AM3 which is a few years away and will be compatible so no need to upgrade.

A new socket every few years is not my definition of "like mad".

I am of course ignoring the indeed fairly gay 4x4 platform, but so is everyone else so I feel justified in that

Much though I like the Core2 Duo CPU, I think Intel should be slapped for releasing something that wouldn't fit into motherboards purchased a matter of weeks before the launch despite having the same socket number of pins and name. But then they did that with Pentium D and the extremes as well so we can hardly be suprised.
    i agree 4x4 is gay, i wish amd would get their act up and start producing a new core instead of reinventing the x2's. ok socket 939 was introduced in 2004 but im pretty sure socket T (775) was in use during those times, and its still going! whic is good value for money if your board supports the new c2d's

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)
    Socket T was indeed introduced around that time. They have kept the name and the number of pins, but electrically they have messed with it. Every major release of Intel CPU has required a new motherboard, despite the cpu "being S775".

In reality, Intel have had a new socket about every 6 months. You might be able to plug your old single core 2.8GHz P4 into your new shiny motherboard, but if you have an old motherboard and want to upgrade then you are stuffed.

In contrast my wife has an early S754 AMD machine. That motherboard can take any S754 CPU ever made, including I believe the mobile Turion ones (I think the Asus BIOS allows that). Same with my S939, though that was bought mid life so not so impressive.

I only tell people it is OK to buy Intel's S775 on the grounds that the core2 should be enough for them for enough years that they won't care. People on a tight budget I tell to get a Sempron on AM3, as it will do them for now and in a efw years time they can replace with CPU with the latest dual/quad core.

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Socket T was indeed introduced around that time. They have kept the name and the number of pins, but electrically they have messed with it. Every major release of Intel CPU has required a new motherboard, despite the cpu "being S775".

In reality, Intel have had a new socket about every 6 months. You might be able to plug your old single core 2.8GHz P4 into your new shiny motherboard, but if you have an old motherboard and want to upgrade then you are stuffed.

In contrast my wife has an early S754 AMD machine. That motherboard can take any S754 CPU ever made, including I believe the mobile Turion ones (I think the Asus BIOS allows that). Same with my S939, though that was bought mid life so not so impressive.

I only tell people it is OK to buy Intel's S775 on the grounds that the core2 should be enough for them for enough years that they won't care. People on a tight budget I tell to get a Sempron on AM3, as it will do them for now and in a efw years time they can replace with CPU with the latest dual/quad core.
    true, but if i want to take my socket 939 to ddr2, im stuffed. better to have a new mobo + old cpu than new mobo + new cpu.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    moogle++

Intel does change the electrical charactoristics of their CPUs with pretty much each new CPU family, that is a certainty. You can't expect things to improve without revisions to old designs, however at least there is the occasional time you can get away with a BIOS upgrade, a complete change in socket means a forced CPU upgrade, and sometimes a ram upgrade too (where AMD is concerned).
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information